2009-10 Hot Stove Baseball

so you think if he only hit .200 with 5 homers and 25 rbi, he'd still bring the team more than $20million in ticket sales and merchandise?

Are you saying that he hit .200 and only had 5 HR's and 25 rbi's last year?

Closer look, he hit a respectable .290 with 19 HR's and 63rbi's, the .290 is very respectable.
Did you really think he was going to hit .350 like he did last year for them ?

Are you saying that he hit .200 and only had 5 HR's and 25 rbi's last year?

that's not what I said. I was asking if in 2010 with his diminishing skills that he hit .200 with 5 homers and 25 rbi, do you think the Dodgers will be able to make back the $20m they are blowing on Ramirez for 2010?

J.J. Putz and Carl Pavano join the ranks of free agents, making it 120 free agents that have filed so far out of a possible 183 free-agent eligible players.

that's not what I said. I was asking if in 2010 with his diminishing skills that he hit .200 with 5 homers and 25 rbi, do you think the Dodgers will be able to make back the $20m they are blowing on Ramirez for 2010?

Gotcha .....
They gotta be counting on him doing much better than that.

The Red Sox were busy Monday, picking up catcher/first baseman Victor Martinez's $7.1 million team option, declining catcher Jason Varitek's $5 million team option, and tearing up pitcher Tim Wakefield's team option and replacing it with a two-year agreement.

The team also confirmed it was not picking up a $6 million option on Alex Gonzalez, which had been reported Sunday.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=4638041"]Boston Red Sox, Tim Wakefield agree to two-year deal - ESPN Boston[/ame]

The Red Sox were busy Monday, picking up catcher/first baseman Victor Martinez's $7.1 million team option, declining catcher Jason Varitek's $5 million team option, and tearing up pitcher Tim Wakefield's team option and replacing it with a two-year agreement.

The team also confirmed it was not picking up a $6 million option on Alex Gonzalez, which had been reported Sunday.

V-Mart was obviously a no-brainer, and I'm not surprised that the Sox don't want to pay $5million to what essentially will be a backup catcher.

I am, however, suprised at the team giving Wakefield another two year deal (what with all his recent physical ailments and his age).

As far as Gonzo goes, I wish the Sox would keep him. He's a very dependable fielder, and more to the point, I'm sick and tired of the Nomar/O-Cab/Renteria/Gonzalez/Lugo/Lowrie/Green/Gonzo rotation since 2004. Pick a SS already!

It's only good if you like the players you've got! :D

Sandra

I actually do. From mid August the Reds had the best record in baseball. I know it doesn't mean didly for last year, but it gives some hope for next year.

Still no Reds on the list, that's good.

No Reds because not that many players are eligible.

Only Kip Wells was eligible to become a free agent and apparently hasn't filed yet.

Ramon Hernandez became a free agent because the
Reds declined an option.

according to an article at mlb.com, gregg zaun and jason schmidt were the only two players for file for free agency on wednesday.

Mariners Interested In Edwin Jackson, Curtis Granderson

By Tim Dierkes [November 16 at 4:36pm CST]
The Mariners are interested in Tigers starter Edwin Jackson, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. However, though names have been exchanged, a source tells the writers the talks are "not all that serious." The FOX writers say the Ms also like Curtis Granderson, who'd be used in left field. Rosenthal and Morosi downplay this rumor as well.
The cost for Jackson is young, affordable pitching, of course. The Brewers, Yankees, and Mets are three other clubs thought to be interested. Jackson is due an arbitration raise on this year's $2.2MM salary. He is one of a handful of well-paid Tigers who actually has strong trade value.

I am... suprised at the team giving Wakefield another two year deal (what with all his recent physical ailments and his age).
I love the guy, but... having him controls not only who your back-up catcher is but also, when you get to use him. If your main catcher is banged up or if you have a day game after a night game, but Wakefield's turn is two days away, then you can't just use your back-up catcher to spell your regular catcher for one game because he will have to catch two successive games. I've read that the Red Sox keep a couple of knuckleballers in the minor leagues just so they will have catchers with some experience at catching them available if necessary.

anybody home? ;)

First deal I see is White Sox sign Andruw Jones for $500,000 plus the ability to make $1m more in incentives.

Do Red Sox Prefer Holliday Over Bay?

By Tim Dierkes [November 30 at 3:34pm CST]
3:34pm: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says Bay is still a top priority for the Red Sox, who are "trying to build on" their rejected $60MM offer. Cafardo says that offer was over five years, though most have reported it to be over four.
8:30am: How much do you trust the information of "one rival executive?" Such a source makes for the basis of the latest blog post from Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. This exec told the FOX writers that the Red Sox prefer Matt Holliday over Jason Bay, and do not intend to re-sign Bay despite ongoing negotiations.
The writers go on to explain that the Red Sox would stand to gain a draft pick by signing Holliday instead of Bay. They'd lose their #29 pick to the Cardinals by signing Holliday, but would get a pick back from the team that signs Bay and would also receive a supplemental pick. Furthermore, the writers believe Bay will not be signed by a team with a protected first-round pick (such as the Mets).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)