2009-10 Hot Stove Baseball

Report: Pedroia open to shortstop

By: Rob Bradford

Dustin Pedroia is interested in a move back to SS - ESPN Boston, Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia said the Red Sox have approached him about the possibility of playing shortstop and that he is open to the idea. "They've put it out there and I've told them I'm all for it," he said. "I'm all for it. I can do it. I can't wait for Tito [Terry Francona] to call me and ask, 'Can you do it?' I can do it. I really want to do it." Pedroia played regularly at shortstop both in college and the minor leagues before being moved to second base upon reaching the major leagues. He won a Gold Glove at second in 2008. "When the idea of moving back to shortstop was floated to me, I welcomed it," Pedroia said. "I'm excited. Tell Derek [Jeter] to enjoy the Gold Glove and Silver Slugger awards while he can. Obviously, I'm not serious about the fun I have with Derek, but I'm never stopping believing in the goal. I believe I can play shortstop and help get the Red Sox back where they belong."

Report: Pedroia open to shortstop

By: Rob Bradford

Speaking in a report on ESPN, Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia said the Red Sox have approached him about the possibility of playing shortstop and that he is open to the idea. "They've put it out there and I've told them I'm all for it," he said. "I'm all for it. I can do it. I can't wait for Tito [Terry Francona] to call me and ask, 'Can you do it?' I can do it. I really want to do it." Pedroia played regularly at shortstop both in college and the minor leagues before being moved to second base upon reaching the major leagues. He won a Gold Glove at second in 2008. "When the idea of moving back to shortstop was floated to me, I welcomed it," Pedroia said. "I'm excited. Tell Derek [Jeter] to enjoy the Gold Glove and Silver Slugger awards while he can. Obviously, I'm not serious about the fun I have with Derek, but I'm never stopping believing in the goal. I believe I can play shortstop and help get the Red Sox back where they belong."

Pedroia is determined to put the SHORT back in shortstop! :D

Sandra

The Hot Stove show on MLB Network just had a top 10 calls from Mr. Vin Scully :D

What a voice he has :)

btw, Scully just signed to come back again next year :up

Chone Figgins going to Seattle ??????

Why on earth would he want to move from a perennial Playoff tear to a potential never make the playoffs team ?

My opinion is that the Angels made only a token move at him. The have Brandon Wood who has to be used or lost adn Izturis sitting around to take up the slack defensively. They really need Lackey to come back and that's where they are palcing their resources. They also need a power bat if they're going to let Valddy go, which it looks like they are...

A little late with this news: Marco Scutaro is the Red Sox new shortstop.

Scutaro is the 754th shortstop for the Sox since 2004! :eek:

A little late with this news: Marco Scutaro is the Red Sox new shortstop.

Scutaro is the 754th shortstop for the Sox since 2004! :eek:

Looks like the Pedroia at SS experiment is over ....

Personally, I think Pedroia would be an excellent move for the Sox, that could solidify the SS position for many years for them.
Finding a 2B would be much easier, heck they could have had Palonco for a few years at 2nd base, you won't find a better Defensive 2b, bats dropped off some, but the men in scoring position is still up there around .350 I think I saw.

Looks like the Pedroia at SS experiment is over ....

Personally, I think Pedroia would be an excellent move for the Sox, that could solidify the SS position for many years for them.
Finding a 2B would be much easier, heck they could have had Palonco for a few years at 2nd base, you won't find a better Defensive 2b, bats dropped off some, but the men in scoring position is still up there around .350 I think I saw.

I may be in the minority, but I'm glad Pedroia is staying put.

I'm just looking at the last 10-15 years of changing SS's ever since Nomar left.

I have no problem with Pedroia staying put, just thought it would solidify the spot.

Absolutely, I agree with trying to solidify the position, but I just think you may be weakening two positions by moving Pedroia (who I think is the Red Sox best player) there. :)

IMO, they never should have let O-Cab go after winning the '04 Series, and then they compound that by signing Renteria, who was a BUST in Boston!

After dumping Renteria following the '05 season, they sign Alex Gonzalez, who was IMHO, the best defensive shortstop the Sox ever had.They let Gonzo go following the '06 season and sign an even bigger bust than Renteria..........Julio Lugo. :eek:

After getting Gonzo back for the last two months this season, they let him walk again!

NOW, Scutaro is the flavor of the month at SS.

Last edited:
I don't understand the Red Sox thinking: they bring Gonzo back and he even hit better this time-then let him walk. allegedly they were going to offer him a contract but toronto was smart and jumped in. they easily could have resigned Gonzo for 2 yrs. until the young Inglesias kid was ready. stupid baseball if u ask me. Paul

Read a story a few minutes ago, Edwin Jackson close to being traded. No specific team indicated

Read a story a few minutes ago, Edwin Jackson close to being traded. No specific team indicated

I'm still not sure why the Tigers are trying to trade thier BEST players .....

Jackson, Granderson even Cabrera has been mentioned ....

Maybe they liked losing over 100 games a year :rolleyes:

In other moves:

Adam Everett is returning to Detroit with a $1.55milllion, 1 year deal

Ivan Rodriguez appears to be inked by the Nationals to a 2 year, $6m deal, pending Rodriguez passing a physical.

Nationals also acquire reliever Brian Bruney for a PTBNL.

Brad Penny headed to the Cardinals in a one year, $7.5m deal after turning down a one year offer from the Giants.

Ivan Rodriguez signs with the Washington Nationals for 2 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)