2009 MLB Playoffs

Where are all the people that claim instant replay will harm the integrity of baseball. Integrity may be the wrong word but somebody or something really has to help these poor guys to see a play right in front of them. I think you will have to admit that despite the slow down caused in football the replays almost always help the officials get the call correct and make the officials look better at their job.

Agree 100%. I've been calling for replay in baseball for a while now. Isn't the idea to get the call right? If I already invest 3 hours into a game, what's another 10 minutes to get the call right? Wake up baseball, this is 2009!!! You're losing your credibility by NOT moving forward for the good of the game.

The one problem I have with the use of instant replays is that it has appeared to actually degrade the quality of the on-field officating. In the NFL and NCAA most of these officials seem to be going through the motions knowing the replay will correct any bad calls they make. That's what makes this rash of recent bad MLB calls even more alarming: They don't have replays to fix them!!!

The one problem I have with the use of instant replays is that it has appeared to actually degrade the quality of the on-field officating. In the NFL and NCAA most of these officials seem to be going through the motions knowing the replay will correct any bad calls they make. That's what makes this rash of recent bad MLB calls even more alarming: They don't have replays to fix them!!!

Then give each team 2 challenges. Each manager can chose when to throw the red flag out during the game. The officials won't know when/if they're coming, so they'll have to stay sharp throughout the game.

And to your point of "degrading the quality of the on-field officiating", I'd be amazed if the officiating could get much worse than it already is. Especially from that bafoon at 3rd Base.

Um, you're not the only one to predict a Yankee/Phillie World Series. I called it before the playoffs even started. :)

Same here......................I had Yankees over Phillies in 5.

But I wanted Angels-Phillies, because I thought it would be a very competitive series.

I sure hope it's not the Yankees and the Phillies....watching CC and Lee duel 2-3 times in the World Series would be too painful for this Tribe fan....the LCS's have been tough enough.

Then give each team 2 challenges. Each manager can chose when to throw the red flag out during the game. The officials won't know when/if they're coming, so they'll have to stay sharp throughout the game.

And to your point of "degrading the quality of the on-field officiating", I'd be amazed if the officiating could get much worse than it already is. Especially from that bafoon at 3rd Base.
I'm for a system something like that, but again what I'm seeing is officials using it as a crutch, knowing if they screw up a call it will get fixed.

What's really alarming is except for McClelland's call of Swisher leaving 3rd base early, the umpires have been in the right position to make the call.

Comments on a bizarre game...

1. Just amazing what CC did on three days rest. Amazing. I know last year he did not pitch well in the playoffs for Milwaukee, or the prior year for Cleveland, but this year he's doing well. Funny how some guys crumble under the pressure of New York, and some feed off it and rise to the challenge.

2. After the game Buck and McCarver said this puts Monday night's Girardi bullpen fiasco in the rear view mirror. That is so not true! This series could easily be over now, but it's not, thanks to Girardi. It's easy to manage when your team scores 10 runs. Not so easy when you have to make good decisions.

3. What the heck is Posada doing going back for a tag up on Cano's gapper that Hunter decoyed him on? If Hunter catches that ball there is no way Posada can make it to third. He should have been halfway, he would have had plenty of time to get back to second if Hunter had made the catch.

4. You have got to be kidding me with the umpiring. The ump is right on top of the play at second, how could he possibly have missed the Swisher pickoff? He was in perfect position and was actually looking at the base, unlike...

5. That ump at third. Scary. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt on the Swisher tag up, especially when Swisher should have been out at second anyway. Then they show the replay and he's not even looking at the base??? Huh???

6. Then Posada gets in a rundown between third and home. OK, bad luck, just make sure you get Cano to third. So Posada runs all the way back to third??? What??? Leading to...

7. The two tag outs at third. Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me ump? Seriously? Could not have been clearer both were out. Just a stunning call. Would love to hear his explanation. I agree with whoever said he should not be allowed to ump in this series anymore. How could you possibly get that wrong? Was he looking toward center field again?

8. If, 30 years from now when the entire baseball generation has changed, and the superstars are kids who are right now in their diapers or not even born yet, someone looks back at and watches those half innings, they'll think all baseball players and umps back then were mentally challenged.

9. Later it's Posada again...where is his head at? He thinks it's the third out? If anyone is supposed to know the situation, isn't it the catcher??? Just bizarre.

10. I still say this series is far from over. If anyone can blow this, it's the Yankees. Up until late in the game they did everything they could to keep the Angels in a game dominated by the Yankees. And if Girardi gets another chance to make a bullpen mistake, he will.

11. Bobby Abreu at the moment looks the opposite of Alex Rodriguez. You can tell by his face he has no confidence at all right now. One big hit can change that, though. We are used to seeing Abreu come through.

12. Huge difference watching a game from Philadelphia and a game from Anaheim. Huge.

13. Time for Hideki Matsui to join the party. Jeez, he looks as bad as Abreu. He's gumming up the middle of the lineup.

14. Adding to the theatre of the bizarre was the throw by Abreu on A-Rod tagging up from second. Goodness, he missed third base by ten yards.

15. I'm a little surprised the Angels starting pitching has been rather ordinary.

16. I won't be convinced this is Opposite Year until the final out is recorded in the final game. Until then, it's still Yankees/Angels, and one team has always come out on top in this matchup. I'm still waiting for that to happen. They are the champs of this series until dethroned.

Sandra

Last edited:

5. That ump at third. Scary. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt on the Swisher tag up, especially when Swisher should have been out at second anyway. Then they show the replay and he's not even looking at the base??? Huh???

7. The two tag outs at third. Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me ump? Seriously? Could not have been clearer both were out. Just a stunning call. Would love to hear his explanation. I agree with whoever said he should not be allowed to ump in this series anymore. How could you possibly get that wrong? Was he looking toward center field again?

THE MODERATOR: Tim, whatever you want to say.
TIM McCLELLAND: As far as the two calls that I had at third base. The first one with Swisher leaving too soon. In my heart I thought he left too soon.
On the play with Cano and Posada, I thought Cano was on the base. I was waiting for two players to be on the base, and when there was never the situation where both of them were on the base at the same time. When he tagged Cano, I thought Cano was on the base, and when Jorge touched the base and continued and tagged Posada out, I thought Posada was out.
After looking at replays, I'm not sure I believe the replay of the first one. I said in my heart I thought he left too soon. But the replay showed that he didn't. We go in and watch replays regularly after every game, even during the regular season. That's part of our procedures.
Then the second one it showed that Cano was off the bag when he was tagged. I did not see that for whatever reason. So obviously there were two missed calls. Obviously, or not obviously, but there were two missed calls. And I'm just out there trying to do my job and do it the best I can. And unfortunately there was by instant replay, there were two missed calls.
THE MODERATOR: Thank you very much, Tim. Thank you for coming up.
In your heart, what about your eyes?? :eek:

12. Huge difference watching a game from Philadelphia and a game from Anaheim. Huge.

Sandra

Dodgers 3B Coach Larry Bowa agrees....

"It's just a different atmosphere," Bowa said on Wednesday in Los Angeles. "It's not life and death here. People want to win here, but it's not like you're going to go on a bridge and jump off if you don't. I tell our guys I wish they could play in the Northeast once. Maybe they wouldn't be so sensitive."

Larry Bowa Says Dodgers Players Are Soft

Did anyone read the letter that Phillips' mistress wrote to his wife? :eek:

Classy woman that babblin' Brooke! :rolleyes:

Oh, and Steve, you're a sleazeball!!!

I also heard on the radio that the misstress called out Phillips' kids on Facebook and asked them "if they knew their daddy was cheating on his mommy".

UFL Ignored

Soldier Tribute on CBC HNinC/NHL Network

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)