2009 MLB Playoffs

If this score holds up, the Yanks can thank Johnny Damon (crucial at-bat, somehow got from first to third on a pitch, scored on A-Rod's hit)
I can't get over that play. I've never seen a guy do that before. And to do it in the 9th inning of a WS game. The only thing more daring than that would be stealing home IMO. Love em or hate em the Yankees are one heads up team.

I can't get over that play. I've never seen a guy do that before. And to do it in the 9th inning of a WS game. The only thing more daring than that would be stealing home IMO. Love em or hate em the Yankees are one heads up team.

Actually, it was a heads up play by Damon, but it was the Phillies fault it happened that way.
Back in the day, you would NEVER play a shift on a batter , so that would never happen.
Teams clearly OVER play many batters this day and age.

Lidge is the one that made that happen, he should know that if that type of shift is on, HE's the ONLY one left to cover third.

You and I could have stole 3rd in this instance.

Yes, the yankees have played better than the Phillies so far, in the last few games.

The yankees have a uncanny ability to score late in games that few teams have this year, it's almost like, OK it's the 7th inning whats the score and what do we need.

Also doesn't say much for teams bullpens.

Notes.

1. Why is a camera hanging a few inches over the outfield railing anyway? If it was a few inches back, it would unquestionably be a homer.

2. For those of us who forgot/didn't realize there was a shift on, how bizarre was it to see Damon running to third when he was only a few feet away from Feliz? Damon knew nobody was at third, but how could he have been sure he could outrun Feliz?

3. Why do you never see a shift for a righty batter like you do for lefty batters?

4. Girardi seems to managing his pitchers a little more by instinct and a little less by the 'book' recently. Thank goodness.

5. At this point I would start Gaudin tonight, save Burnett for full rest on Wednesday, and have Pettite ready if CC gets knocked out early on Thursday. But that's me.

6. Good thing Lee can't pitch all three remaining games.

7. This has to be very painful for A-Rod haters. :D

8. Philly radio callers were all over 'Why isn't Happ starting a game?'...until Happ gave up a homer.

9. I hope Lee tries to make some of those really cool non-chalant catches tonight...

10. About time Swisher joined the party.

11. Wow, the Phillies have a tough lineup. No rest for the pitcher, top to bottom.

12. I think Jayson Werth's second homer Saturday night almost broke the sign. That was hit a ton.

13. How much grease does Utley put in his hair anyway? My goodness, I'm surprised his hat stays on.

14. Burnett, Pettite and Sabathia all on three days rest...I don't know about this. Hoping for some rain...

15. Why doesn't Girardi ever bring Robertson in?

Sandra

Questions:

1. Why did Charlie Manuel NOT start Cliff Lee on 3 days rest like Girardi pitched Sabathia on 3 days rest? The Yankees were up 2-1 going into game 4, yet THEY were the ones who made the aggressive move to start their ace on short rest. If anything, you'd think it would be the other way around.

2. Why in the world did Lidge pitch to A-Rod in a tie game in the 9th inning with a runner in scoring position, two outs and an open base available? I don't care if A-Rod hasn't had the greatest World Series, you DON'T let the best hitter in baseball beat you. Another dumb move by Charlie.

3. Speaking of all the flack A-Rod has been getting BEFORE last night, why hasn't Ryan Howard received the same criticism? The reigning NLCS MVP has been M.I.A. this series.

4. While I don't think the Phills will be able to come back, the series is far from over. I see Cliff Lee pitching another gem tonight and Burnett, on short rest causing the Yankees to turn to their middle relief earlier than wanted. The next question is this: Do you want 37 year-old Andy Pettitte pitching a Game 6 on short rest and jeopardizing the potential for a Game 7? Yikes.

yankees1024.jpg

But remember its not over yet... Yet.

1. Why is a camera hanging a few inches over the outfield railing anyway? If it was a few inches back, it would unquestionably be a homer. Especially since Charlie Manuel says the umpires discussed it amongst themselves before the game.

3. Why do you never see a shift for a righty batter like you do for lefty batters? Who would cover first base??

2. For those of us who forgot/didn't realize there was a shift on, how bizarre was it to see Damon running to third when he was only a few feet away from Feliz? Damon knew nobody was at third, but how could he have been sure he could outrun Feliz?
Exactly my point. Damon would have been the biggest idiot ever if he stole 2nd and got tagged out going to 3rd.

3. Why do you never see a shift for a righty batter like you do for lefty batters?
For one, you've got to leave the 1st baseman on the bag for obvious reasons. Although I did see in one these playoff games an accidental shift when the 2nd baseman (don't remember who) had darted in behind the bag expecting a steal and the ball was hit right up the middle to him for an easy out.

Damon obviously had this thought out perfectly - and when he saw that he had a 2-3 step jump (and the element of surprise) on Feliz, he KNEW that he wouldn't be caught. Heads-up play IMHO.

13. How much grease does Utley put in his hair anyway? My goodness, I'm surprised his hat stays on.

I noticed the same thing. Does this guy bathe in motor oil or something? Doesn't he have a wife, girlfriend or mother to teach him proper hygiene? Besides, I thought the greaser look died out with The Fonz?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts