2009 MLB Playoffs

If spending a lot on payroll was the sole reason for winning a WS, why hadn't they won in the previous 8 years?? They were obviously the highest spending team during that time....

Money lets a team sniff the postseason every year, but doesn't necessarily buy WS championships. Either way, Enjoy being champs Yankees fans!

START SPREADING THE NEWS!!!!!!!!

YANKEES ARE THE WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!

ANOTHER MILESTONE IN THE VAST VAULT OF YANKEE LORE!!!!!

Congrats to all their fans! @party

Take some advice from Denzel Washington's: 'Don't Be a Hater'. :D
Top 10: Reasons The Yankees Won’t Make The Playoffs

Yankees payroll

2009: $201,449,189
2008: $209,081,577
2007: $189,639,045
2006: $194,663,079
2005: $208,306,817
2004: $184,193,950
2003: $152,749,814
2002: $125,928,583
2001: $112,287,143

Yankees hit jackpot, prove that every underdog has his (pay) day Yankees hit jackpot, prove that every underdog has his (pay) day - MLB - CBSSports.com Baseball

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"The World Series takes personal checks. Credit and debit cards, too."[/FONT]

1257399891.jpg
z889220dollar20symbol20green.jpg

If spending a lot on payroll was the sole reason for winning a WS, why hadn't they won in the previous 8 years?? They were obviously the highest spending team during that time....
Logic fallacy dully noted: The converse of a statement is not necessarily equivalent to the original statement (i.e. An apple is a fruit, but a fruit is not an apple).

Without spending money this year, they would not have won this year.

Spending enormous amounts of money drives up the cost of all free agents making it even more difficult for the smaller market clubs to compete.

Logic fallacy dully noted: The converse of a statement is not necessarily equivalent to the original statement (i.e. An apple is a fruit, but a fruit is not an apple).

Spending enormous amounts of money drives up the cost of all free agents making it even more difficult for the smaller market clubs to compete.
The Yankees did what no other team could do . They spent big money this year. They also has the advantage of spending over the last 9 years . I'm thinking about the health of baseball and what the Yankees are doing is so wrong. You have to wonder if the fans will show up next year to support the team. Someone has to pay those salaries.

Nice attempt at a deflection, but I can't see what apples have to do with the discussion. :confused: The NYY have outspent all other MLB teams by a wide margin during these years and have only won this year. As shown above they spent less this year than 2008 when they didn't even make the playoffs. This shows that simply spending large amounts of money does not guarantee success. Spending large amounts of money "wisely" though does help.

I nominate this post for Understatement of the Year.

While I agree with this to a point, the NYY usually get who they want, which means most of the time they are only bidding against themselves.

27 Thoughts by HD MM

1. No disrespect to Hideki Matsui, but I would've given the series MVP to Mariano Rivera. In each of the Yankee wins, there has been a different hero. In Game 2 it was the masterful starting performance by AJ Burnett. In Game 3, it was a total team effort. In Game 4, it was Alex Rodriguez. In Game 6 it was Matsui. But the one constant in each of those wins was the dominant performance at the end of the game by Mo. And by dominant, I mean he had a collective 0.00 ERA in 4 outings, 2 of which were more than 1 inning!

2. Personal feelings aside, as a sports fan, you have to admire the Yankee tradition, the lore and the talent that has passed through that team.

3. After mixed feelings of moving on after "The House that Ruth Built", I'd say the new Yankees christened their new digs rather well.

4. Mayor Bloomberg announced that a ticker-tape parade and ceremony to honor the team has been scheduled for Friday.

5. What a year for A-Rod! In the offseason he had all that drama with Selena Roberts and the steroid accusations. Then, he slowly worked his way back from the torn labrum. Criticisms abound, he lead his team to another postseason, this time to avenge his past demons, by actually contributing when it counts. Kate Hudson.... his first World Series title! Wow. What a year!

6. Speaking of avenging demons, it was great to see C.C. Sabathia come through when it counted. He was a work horse for the Yankees all season long and did not let down in the postseason either.

7. I loved the "Who's your Daddy" chants by the Yankee crowd when Pedro got into trouble.

8. Speaking of Pedro, what's with that Jerry Curl? Was that a tribute to Michael Jackson in Thriller?

9. Speaking of hair, was Chase Utley not washing his hair one of those old Baseball superstitions? You know, like the guys who refuse to wash their socks after a win?

10. Thirteen. The number of strikeouts by Ryan Howard, tying an all-time World Series mark. Wow.

11. Eighteen. The number of playoff wins by Andy Pettite. Wow.

12. Eighteen. The number of years the Yankee foursome (Pettite, Jeter, Mo & Posada) have played together, counting minor leagues. That is unheard of in the age of free agency!

13. Six. The number of RBI's Hideki Matsui hit in Game 6, tying an all-time mark by Bobby Richardson.

14. Why does Nick Swisher look at the underside of the brim of his helmet before every at-bat?

15. I bet Tokyo was proud of Godzilla. Joe Buck was saying the game was being broadcast to millions in Japan (albeit at 10:30am Toyko time). It's got to be a great feeling for one of your own to do you proud on one of the biggest stages in sports.

16. What's the better song? Billy Joel's "New York State of Mind" or Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York"?

17. Who's got the better sitcom? New York based "Seinfeld" or Philadelphia based, "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"?

18. I would've love to be on Time Square following the victory last night. That would've been one HUGE party. According to the NYPD, everyone partied civilly and there were no mishaps. Good to hear.

19. Will the Yankees re-sign Matsui? Was this Godzilla's last hurrah as a Yankee?

20. Better food: New York style Pizza or the original Philly Steak Sandwich (the one with Cheese Wiz)?

21. SIX. The number of times the Yankees have dethroned the defending Champ in the World Series.

22. Good to see this title being clinched in front of their own fans, in their newly built ballpark. Winning a title on the road just isn't the same.

23. Is Andy Pettite's veins full of ice or what? Talk about clutch!

24. EIGHT. Fittingly, this win came 8 years to the date of the 2001 blooper in the dessert (the last Yankee WS appearance, and also a loss).

25. This is the 5th ring for the Four Amigos. (Jeter, Mo, Posada and Pettite).

26. Congratulations to the oft criticized Yankee skipper (Joe Girardi) on his 4th World Series, but 1st as a head coach.

27. Congratulations on No. 27 to the greatest sports franchise in the world!

1. OK I'm happy to admit I was wrong. Pettitte wasn't great, but he didn't implode on three days rest like Burnett did. Girardi was right and I was wrong.

2. Girardi actually pressed a lot of the right buttons in this series. When he sat Swisher and put Hairston in, Hairston came up with a big hit to move Melky to third on the hit and run. The next game he puts Swisher back in, and Swisher comes up huge with a home run and a double.

3. I will still never forget the site of Girardi removing Robertson for Aceves against the Angels, but at least it's a moot point now. He might have turned a sweep of the Angels into a six game nail-biter, but it all worked out in the end.

4. You know, Matsui has been here seven years now, and he still can't do an interview in English? You could tell he understood the questions, I guess he's just not confident in his speaking.

5. It's a shame Fox had to run to commercial to pay the bills, but seeing the outfield wall open, and watching the incomparable Mariano Rivera appear and then jog in from center field, to the sounds of Metallica drowned out by a thunderous ovation, is one of the great experiences in sports...in a regular season game against Kansas City in July. Last night, with a World Series championship riding on Mariano's arm, it must have been deafening.

6. You can understand Royal or Pirate fans complaining that the Yankees spend a lot of money. But a Dodger fan? With the resources they have available to them? That's a joke. :rolleyes:

7. If anyone thinks a Yankee fan cares even a tiny bit about people compaining about payroll....you know nothing.

8. You have to love the class of Hal Steinbrenner. He said all the right things.

9. Call A-Rod anything you want, but also call him World Champion. He was able to relax and destroy their playoff opponents because he stopped caring about A-Rod, and started caring about the team. He also said all the right things.

10. Everyone who likes to say funny things about A-Rod would also put him at third base on their team in a nano-second.

11. The Phillies have an amazing offensive lineup, even when Ryan Howard isn't hitting. But their pitching...yikes. I know they were up against one of the great lineups in the sport, but the only guy who pitched well was Lee...and only for one game.

12. Poor Ehren, had to hold off on his vicious Phillies world championship post this year. ;)

13. So that Mike Mussina thing had legs, huh?

14. Players who hit .500 in a world series with 3 home runs...Gehrig, Ruth, Matsui. Not bad company. And Matsui hit .613, by the way. An OPS of 2.027 as well.

15. Funny to see Chin Ming Wang out there celebrating with the team. I had honestly forgotten about him. Before he got hurt last year he was one of the best pitchers in baseball. Home grown product too...

16. Tough time for Met fans. Most of you don't realize what it's like to share a city with another team. The Mets have absolutely fallen off the planet right in front of their own fans. Look for them to announce something big...ANYTHING...in the near future, to remind people they still exist.

17. Nice that the ghosts crossed the street. They may have even taken the Amtrak to Philthy, to nudge a camera over the railing. Thanks guys. :)

18. I forget who said it, but I got chills when I heard...'the most famous statement in all of sports...The Yankees are World Champions'. :up

19. I liked how almost every player and the manager said 'This one is for the Boss'

20. On to the Next One. Oops, we ran out of next ones. On to the Canyon of Heroes instead!!!

Sandra

3. After mixed feelings of moving on after "The House that Ruth Built", I'd say the new Yankees christened their new digs rather well.

The House that Jeter Built

9. Speaking of hair, was Chase Utley not washing his hair one of those old Baseball superstitions? You know, like the guys who refuse to wash their socks after a win?

That was really nasty looking

14. Why does Nick Swisher look at the underside of the brim of his helmet before every at-bat?

I always thought he was looking at a flag pole or something in center field. He does it home and away tho.

16. What's the better song? Billy Joel's "New York State of Mind" or Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York"?

I happen to love the new Jay-Z CD, so for now I'm going with Empire State of Mind

18. I would've love to be on Time Square following the victory last night. That would've been one HUGE party. According to the NYPD, everyone partied civilly and there were no mishaps. Good to hear.

Good point I forgot about. We have the hang of winning here...

19. Will the Yankees re-sign Matsui? Was this Godzilla's last hurrah as a Yankee?

Can you say...Matt Holliday? :D

22. Good to see this title being clinched in front of their own fans, in their newly built ballpark. Winning a title on the road just isn't the same.

Agreed, although I would have been very happy with a game five victory.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts