2009 NHL Winter Classic

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
I just heard on WEEI Radio (Boston) that the Red Wings will be playing the Blackhawks next January at Wrigley Field. I thought the WC was gonna be the last event at Yankee Stadium. IMO, that would have been a cool (no pun intended) send-off for the historic ballyard.

I just heard on WEEI Radio (Boston) that the Red Wings will be playing the Blackhawks next January at Wrigley Field. I thought the WC was gonna be the last event at Yankee Stadium. IMO, that would have been a cool (no pun intended) send-off for the historic ballyard.

I haven't heard anything either way, but I honestly think the chances of it not being cold enough to play would scare the league out of playing the game in New York.

There are too many days even in January where the temperature can get into the 50s. I think on January 1 of this year, while the Sabres were playing the Penguins in Buffalo in around zero degree temperatures, it was 55 in the City.

Sandra

I haven't heard anything either way, but I honestly think the chances of it not being cold enough to play would scare the league out of playing the game in New York.

There are too many days even in January where the temperature can get into the 50s. I think on January 1 of this year, while the Sabres were playing the Penguins in Buffalo in around zero degree temperatures, it was 55 in the City.

Sandra

NY, Chicago, Detroit, it doesn't matter, they are all in the same temperature range.

Last I heard, they were going to play in Yankees Stadium, they didn't say it was going to be the last time they played outdoors, just that it was going to be the last game in Yankee Stadium.

Seems like if I was a Yankees fan, I would want a BASEBALL game to be the last game in the stadium.

Jimbo

Average January daytime temperature:

Chicago: 32
New York: 36
Detroit: 72 (the football field is a domed stadium).

I really like the New Year's Day stadium games. However, if the NHL continues to push it further south, it is asking for a year where it will be 55.

Which brings up my eternal question. Why is not the NHL ASG played in a rotation of the domed stadiums?

Average January daytime temperature:

Chicago: 32
New York: 36
Detroit: 72 (the football field is a domed stadium).

I really like the New Year's Day stadium games. However, if the NHL continues to push it further south, it is asking for a year where it will be 55.

Which brings up my eternal question. Why is not the NHL ASG played in a rotation of the domed stadiums?

Were talking OUTSIDE, not inside the dome :D
If were gonna play a hockey game inside, how is that different than any other game :)

Jimbo

Wings: Report of game at Wrigley 'premature'

Wings: Report of game at Wrigley 'premature'
Ted Kulfan The Detroit News / The Detroit News

PITTSBURGH -- General manager Ken Holland said Thursday rampant speculation about a game between the Wings and Blackhawks in January at Wrigley Field is "very premature."

Holland said the Wings organization was approached recently about the idea, but many items would have to be settled before the Wings were included in the latest Winter Classic event.

"Would the game even be in Chicago, and would we be part of it?" Holland said. "I've kept hearing it's going to be in Yankee Stadium."

It's been believed the Rangers and Bruins were going to play Jan.1 at Yankee Stadium, the final event at the fabled stadium, with a return game at Fenway Park some time in the future. Winterization and construction issues have apparently stalled the Yankee Stadium plan.

The fact the Wings play a popular and much-anticipated New Year's Eve game every year also is a problem if the league wants to have the outdoor game on Jan. 1 again.

The Sabres and Penguins played this past Jan. 1 at the Bills' Ralph Wilson Stadium to big television ratings and an artistic success, spurring the idea of another outdoor game next season.

Canadian sports network TSN and Chicago's Comcast Sportsnet said the Wings and Blackhawks will play in January at Wrigley Field or Soldier Field. An official date has not yet been decided.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts