2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Risnuff, how would you compare Detroit to Pittsburgh's first three playoff opponents?

Detroit is far better than any of the teams the Pens faced in this year's playoffs. Philadelphia had weak goaltending in Marty Biron, Washington had defensemen who had to look up the word "defense" in the dictionary, and I don't even know what was wrong with Carolina. Cam Ward had a beyond terrible series, proving there's a first time for everything, but it surely couldn't all be pinned on him.

Detroit has everything you'd want in a hockey team. Offensive firepower, secondary scoring when necessary, players that are seemingly never out of position defensively, and timely goaltending. Those are the reasons they won the cup last year and are three wins away from doing it again.

Watching some highlights after the game, looks like Mr. Crosby gave a little two hander to maltby after the game

I am at the pool right now and I may have to sacrifice tonight's game in favor of an evening dinner and some family time...even though my 7-year old daughter is also a Wings fanatic (it runs in the family). Anyway, I probably won't start watching the game until 10pm my time. All I can say is Go Wings!!! It should be another great game.

I didn't expect the Pens to win game one, but I think they will win game 2.

Um.....

Addendum to that: Fleury needs to realize the boards are lively and be in better position. The boards had a lot to do with the first two goals, and on the third, Staal was right near the puck but lost track of where it was, leading to freaking Justin Abdelkader of all people scoring.

I've got a feeling this is going to be a long series. The Red Wings played better overall in game 1 and capitalized on opportunities the way all good teams do, but didn't convince me that they're a significantly better team than the Penguins, which they certainly were last year.

Guess what, that guy Abdelkater, of all people just SCORED AGAIN !!!

Malkin SHOULD be suspended for the next game. At least.

He intentionally swung his stick to hit Zetterberg over the back after the whistle was blow, BEFORE his fight.

I cannot listen to these freakin morons calling this game anymore..I want to come through the screen half of the time..That little runt between the benches needs to be bitch slapped..

Who is trying to kid..Detroit IS DOMINATING IN ALL PHASES of this series. Between periods 2 and 3 he was so sure that Hossa should have been called for a slash when in fact that was no slash..But the interference that got all of the fans out of their seats in 3rd was ignored and the idiots callign the game said nothing..

I dont know why i even get bothered with the bias against this team, after all NBC is run by GE!! I just get sick of listening to it..

That comment about your not out of a series until you lose at home, gimme a fuggin break...They were dominated..Same storty line as last season, Cindy and his gal Malkin cannot score against this D!!!

Wings played an OK game, the D* was BAD, they let the Pens get into the offensive zone WAY to easily tonight.
They need to clean these things up before Tuesday, I expect them to come out strong on Tuesday night being on the road.
I also expect the Pens need to WIN the next game .... So I expect a much better game from both teams.

38 times the home team won the first two games. Only once did that same team not win the cup.

Last year took 6 games, I want this year to take 5. I'd like to see them win at home (although I couldn't cough up the $450 for a ticket).

Yesterday, two of Detroit's goals were scored on lucky board bounces.

Today, though neither goal came on a lucky bounce, the Pens did get some bad luck on those plays near the net.

Jimbo, you have to admit- some of the breaks are going Detroit's way, kind of like how the Tigers could not buy a break in the 2006 World Series.

Yesterday, two of Detroit's goals were scored on lucky board bounces.

Today, though neither goal came on a lucky bounce, the Pens did get some bad luck on those plays near the net.

Jimbo, you have to admit- some of the breaks are going Detroit's way, kind of like how the Tigers could not buy a break in the 2006 World Series.

Wings are playing pretty good, but they can play much better as well.

Wings have not got ANY calls to go thier way as far as calling penalties ....
Breaks, it's common knowledge that the boards at the Joe are active, everyone know it going it.
Funny how the other team doesn't use them.....
Don't let anyone fool you, Detroit is NOT the only arena that has active boards.
Watch and see if the Detroit D doesn't do the same thing while in Pittsburgh...
Linstrom mentioned it last night, he said if they don't have a shooting zone to the net, pound the boards and see what happens.

Nope. Not buying it.

I've always subscribed to the theory that championship teams make their own breaks.

Nope. Not buying it.

I've always subscribed to the theory that championship teams make their own breaks.

Bill, before I start, let me just say that I am NOT going to bashing/insult the Red Wings , but IMHO, there were a few plays I felt had they gone differently, they may have changed the momentum of the game.

I'm NOT going to demean this win like I did with other teams in the past, but there are some plays that change momentum for one team or the other.

When you see a play/sequence that could go either way, I think to myself, "If the score holds up, that play could be a game-changing/pivotal moment."

Detroit played a very good game- the goaltending was solid, they made good defensive plays, and they made a very strategic move on that icing call to get a quick line change before they scored the first goal.

Pittsburgh did play a decent game- they weren't outclassed and outplayed like last year's openers, IMO.

As for the series- well, a series is not over until the home team loses. Also, Pittsburgh did come back from a 2-0 deficit already in these playoffs.

(I am not going to compare the Capitals to the Red Wings, but this series is a long way from over.)

The Wings are getting under the Penguins' skin. Good.
The fight between Zetterberg and Malkin...awesome. How often do two players of their caliber wail on each other like that? I have never seen Hank do it. Malkin? Who cares about that thug :):)
If anyone asks Osgood if he believes in himself again I wish he'd answer "If I didn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation."
Rookie Justin Abdelkader, who spent most of the regular season in the Red Wings' farm club, now has two more goals in the Stanley Cup finals than does superstar Cindy...er, Sidney Crosby. And one more goal than super-duper Evgeni Malkin.
The Wings aren't just deeper than the Penguins, they're a LOT deeper. See item 4, above. The Wings have shut down Cindy and hindered Milkman. What else have the Pens got?
The over hyped Stahl, where is he?

Teams up 2-0 in a series win it...well, I don't know what the statistic is, but they win it a lot of the time...Jason answered that above..GL Pens..
I was a tiny bit concerned going into this series after seeing how the Pens disposed of some pretty good teams, and the quick turn around. I'm not counting any chickens, but after the last two games I'm a lot less nervous

Guess what, that guy Abdelkater, of all people just SCORED AGAIN !!!

I know, and it was a weak goal. Fleury should have had it.

Looking frame by frame at the Hossa "slash" you can see that both men were simply trying to play the puck, their sticks impacted, and Dupuis' broke in the middle. Good no call.

As for the Wings not getting any penalties, neither are the Penguins. The referees simply aren't calling anything but the most egregious penalties.

A team isn't in trouble until they lose at home, but needless to say, it's a tough situation for the Penguins.