2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

So ......
It looks like both teams have done what they are suppose to do.

Win at home ....

Now what ?
Pens have to win on the road to win it all.

Remember how depressed the Pens fans were earlier in the week when they were down 2-0.
Many thought the series was over , I and a few others said it was not so ....

Playing at home changes everything.

When Satan's team is away from their slanted confines things change. They can no longer slash to break sticks with no penalty. Perhaps, god willing, VS and the NHL network won't be showing replays of game 5 blatant RW penalties that weren't called.

Call it like the entire season and playoffs, keep it fair and Satan's Wings will go down!

Couple of comments.

- The past 100 minutes of goaltending from Marc-Andre Fleury has been inspiring. He's only let up two goals in that time, and he was screened on both of them, the latter of the two by Bill Guerin, his own teammate.

- Malkin has something he didn't have last year in the Final: Confidence. He's been a part of 7 of the 10 goals scored by the Penguins this series, and was even able to crack a joke at the podium last off day about Max Talbot. He's in a different place mentally than he was last year, where he was nervous in front of the media, and even moreso on the ice.

- The Red Wings are beginning to look pretty tired if you ask me. Seeing how quite a few in the media don't see Datsuyk anywhere near 100 percent, if he plays in Game 5, it means Babcock pressed the panic button. Even if he does come back, what effect would it have? He has 7 points in 13 playoff games, and would likely be outskated by either Crosby and/or Malkin, as Dan Bylsma would likely make it a point to get at least one of the two matched up against his unit frequently.

- Both teams have held serve at home, but the Penguins have all the momentum going into Detroit. I'm sure the neutrals on this site are eating this series up.

The Wings may regret more about game what happened in game three then four. We got ourselves a series now, the NHL, VS, NBC and Garry Bettman can now breathe a bit.

Alright! Pens tie the series. Now they just need to win one at Detroit.

When Satan's team is away from their slanted confines things change. They can no longer slash to break sticks with no penalty. Perhaps, god willing, VS and the NHL network won't be showing replays of game 5 blatant RW penalties that weren't called.

Call it like the entire season and playoffs, keep it fair and Satan's Wings will go down!

Speaking of Satan, where you been ? :D
It's about time you show up, a little late to the party for your team though.
How ya been guy, long time no hear from. :)

Q. I don't understand your comments ....
Why would being home or away make any difference in the calls ?
Ref is suppose to call the games how they see it .... regardless of where ....

It's a shame they don't assign the same refs to each game, for some reason they change refs from city to city.... seems like a dumb thing to do. If they kept the same refs, at least you would not have to learn what is called and what is not called from game to game.

Now seeing they have two different sets of refs, they should use the same guys they used in Pittsburgh , in Detroit and the guys they used in Detroit , in Pittsburgh when they go there next.

Jimbo

Couple of comments.

- The past 100 minutes of goaltending from Marc-Andre Fleury has been inspiring. He's only let up two goals in that time, and he was screened on both of them, the latter of the two by Bill Guerin, his own teammate.

- Malkin has something he didn't have last year in the Final: Confidence. He's been a part of 7 of the 10 goals scored by the Penguins this series, and was even able to crack a joke at the podium last off day about Max Talbot. He's in a different place mentally than he was last year, where he was nervous in front of the media, and even moreso on the ice.

- The Red Wings are beginning to look pretty tired if you ask me. Seeing how quite a few in the media don't see Datsuyk anywhere near 100 percent, if he plays in Game 5, it means Babcock pressed the panic button. Even if he does come back, what effect would it have? He has 7 points in 13 playoff games, and would likely be outskated by either Crosby and/or Malkin, as Dan Bylsma would likely make it a point to get at least one of the two matched up against his unit frequently.

- Both teams have held serve at home, but the Penguins have all the momentum going into Detroit. I'm sure the neutrals on this site are eating this series up.

Datsuk did not play in game 4, as you said the pregame skate didn't go as well as hoped for.
I don't think if he had played in game 4 it would have been a "Panic move" (your words) at all.
He's been out for 6 games now.
Yes the Wings need him in there. He's a difference maker, it would be nice to see him at full strength, but I doubt we'll see that.

Datsuk is the Wings best defensive forward, very possible the best in the league.
He carries the puck and is a huge part of the Wings puck control offense.

I equate Datsuk not playing in the series to the Pens not having MAlkin in there for the series .... Where would they be without him today ?

Jimbo

Couple of comments.

So you measure a player's worth only on his point total? An 80% Datsyuk can skate with anyone in the league. The Wings could use his defensive presence, and his puck handling. He is obviously not 100%, probably not even 80% healthy yet, otherwise he would have been on the ice yesterday. I'll take an 80% Datsyuk for Saturday, though.

This series has gone exactly as I thought it would. The only thing semi-surprising about last night was how bad we played. It was due to happen, even the Wing's have an off night on occasion. The pressure is on the Pen's to win Saturday in game 5. Home ice has been the deciding factor, and if the Pens don't win Saturday,they can pack it in because they won't win in game 7 either. I'm not just spouting "homer" mantra, the past finals back my claim. OK, maybe it is since the "home' team has won each game in this series.;)

Another thing - How is activating Datsyuk a panic move? Maybe if it was mid season, but this is what we pay him for isn't it? He's got the whole off season to get well, and the Wing's certainly wouldn't put his long term health at risk.

...The pressure is on the Pen's to win Saturday in game 5. Home ice has been the deciding factor, and if the Pens don't win Saturday,they can pack it in because they won't win in game 7 either. I'm not just spouting "homer" mantra, the past finals back my claim...

I agree. I don't think anyone can call you "Nostradumbass" with this prediction. :D

So you measure a player's worth only on his point total? An 80% Datsyuk can skate with anyone in the league. The Wings could use his defensive presence, and his puck handling. He is obviously not 100%, probably not even 80% healthy yet, otherwise he would have been on the ice yesterday. I'll take an 80% Datsyuk for Saturday, though.

But will he even be 80 percent? The man (reportedly) has a broken foot. The Red Wings were good enough to beat the Penguins twice without him. How good is he going to be defensively against guys like Crosby and Malkin if his foot's broken? Having him back would be a huge boost for the Red Wings locker room, but that boost wouldn't do much if he's burned on a play and it leads to a Penguins goal.

As for his point total, of course that's not the sole factor in determining how good a player is doing, but seeing how Datsyuk was 4th in the NHL in points during the regular season, I think it's not unfounded to question what's amiss when 97 in 81 games turns to 7 in 13. He's a vet, so it isn't "playoff jitters." He's hurt, plain and simple and it has affected his play. Now granted, I haven't followed the Red Wings as closely as you have, but I don't think dressing an injured Datsyuk would have a positive impact for the Red Wings. A healthy Datsyuk, definitely. An 80 percent Datsyuk, probably. A Datsyuk with a broken foot, probably not.

This series has gone exactly as I thought it would. The only thing semi-surprising about last night was how bad we played. It was due to happen, even the Wing's have an off night on occasion. The pressure is on the Pen's to win Saturday in game 5. Home ice has been the deciding factor, and if the Pens don't win Saturday,they can pack it in because they won't win in game 7 either. I'm not just spouting "homer" mantra, the past finals back my claim. OK, maybe it is since the "home' team has won each game in this series.;)
The Penguins did pretty good in Game 5 last year at Detroit when they were overmatched and in an even higher pressure situation. Seeing how they have played far better this year in the Final than they did last year, I'd say the pressure is on the Red Wings to win again at home.

Pavel Datsuk is a GO for tonight's game :)

Let's hope he's up to it. I think there are an awful lot of expectations being put on him to preform up to his regular season.

On another note, Dan Cleary is NOT in tonight, out with a Lower Body injury.

Jimbo

Last edited: