2010-11 MLB Hot Stove

There's talk that the Red Sox could be close to getting Phillies starter Joe Blanton in a trade. If this is true, I don't get it. :confused:

Okay, the Phillies now have the Fearsome Foursome starting rotation, but the Sox already have Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, Lackey, Dice-K and Wakefield. One would think the Phillies could find a more suitable suitor for Blanton (Yankees??, Rangers??) , unless the Sox want to flip Dice-K for a middle reliever.

Last edited:
There's talk that the Red Sox could be close to getting Phillies starter Joe Blanton in a trade. If this is true, I don't get it. :confused:

Okay, the Phillies now have the Fearsome Foursome starting rotation, but the Sox already have Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, Lackey, Dice-K and Wakefield. One would think the Phillies could find a more suitable suitor for Blanton (Yankees??, Rangers??) , unless the Sox want to flip Dice-K for a middle reliever.
The Phillies have shown interest in Mike Cameron....

Amazing how fast and far that Mike Cameron's stock with the Red Sox has dropped. Last year, Ellsbury was being "demoted" to left field because he has no instincts on flyballs whatsoever, yet now, after a year of being unable to play anywhere, he's being inked in as a fixture back in center field. Can Crawford's arm be so weak that he can't even play center?

How many time this past summer did you say you wished the Starting Pitching would get it together .....
Injuries , not pitching effectively ect.

Amazing how fast and far that Mike Cameron's stock with the Red Sox has dropped. Last year, Ellsbury was being "demoted" to left field because he has no instincts on flyballs whatsoever, yet now, after a year of being unable to play anywhere, he's being inked in as a fixture back in center field. Can Crawford's arm be so weak that he can't even play center?

I too would have thought that Crawford would have moved into Center .

How many time this past summer did you say you wished the Starting Pitching would get it together .....
Injuries , not pitching effectively ect.
Very true, but I have to think that Beckett AND Lackey will be better than last season.............at least I HOPE!! :eek:

We interrupt this episode of "The Bickersons" for some actual Hot Stove News...

From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

Cincinnati Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty today announced the signing of OF Jay Bruce to a 6-year contract through the 2016 season with a club option for 2017.
trans.gif
Following last season, Bruce became eligible for arbitration under Major League Baseball's "Super 2" guidelines. In 148 games for the Reds in 2010 he hit .281 with 25 HR, 70 RBI and 5 stolen bases. In the dramatic 3-2 win vs the Houston Astros on September 28, his walkoff home run on the first pitch from Tim Byrdak clinched the National League Central Division championship.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming, which is getting pretty old!!!...:rolleyes:

YAY!!

Well, my exact quote was 'will be getting up in years' during the contract. As I said, he's not up in years now. A player who relies on his legs is different from a player who doesn't. That said, I would have welcomed Crawford on the Yankees with open arms and worried about the future in the future.

Sandra

Even after the contract is done he won't be the same age as Jeter and you think he is going to have some revival after last year. :rolleyes:

Even after the contract is done he won't be the same age as Jeter and you think he is going to have some revival after last year. :rolleyes:

Ramy, the point was that a guy like Crawford, who relies so much on his legs, loses effectiveness faster than a player who makes his living totally with his bat. That's all.

And let's clarify what I said about Jeter, since it got buried in an avalanche of posts. My only point is that it's POSSIBLE he can have a better year than this year, when he hit like .270 with 10 home runs.

If someone wants to guarantee Jeter will never better that production, they can go right ahead. They may be right...but they may not. All I'm saying.

Will Jeter go back to his .334 batting average from last year? Probably not. But something in between would be nice. ;)

Sandra

Ramy, the point was that a guy like Crawford, who relies so much on his legs, loses effectiveness faster than a player who makes his living totally with his bat. That's all.

And let's clarify what I said about Jeter, since it got buried in an avalanche of posts. My only point is that it's POSSIBLE he can have a better year than this year, when he hit like .270 with 10 home runs.

If someone wants to guarantee Jeter will never better that production, they can go right ahead. They may be right...but they may not. All I'm saying.

Will Jeter go back to his .334 batting average from last year? Probably not. But something in between would be nice. ;)

Sandra

Ok, I give you that. He could do better, that's definitely possible.

Magglio Ordonez has re-signed with the Detroit Tigers, according to a tweet by si.com's Jon Heyman.

Heyman tweeted that Ordonez will sign a one-year, $10-million contract after turning down two-year deals with other teams.

Heyman cited Ordonez's loyalty to Tigers owner Mike Ilitch.

More on this story to come from freep.com.

Read more: Report: Magglio Ordonez re-signs with Tigers for 1 year | freep.com | Detroit Free Press Report: Magglio Ordonez re-signs with Tigers for 1 year | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Bobby Jenks is changing his Sox from white to red.

The former Chicago White Sox closer agreed to a two-year, $12 million contract with the Boston Red Sox, pending a physical, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Jenks has been told he'll be a set-up man in 2011 and will have a chance to be the closer if Jonathan Papelbon is replaced, the source said.
Source: Boston Red Sox, Bobby Jenks agree to 2-year deal - ESPN Boston

This is excellent info , provided he picks up where he left off last year when he broke his ankle.

They STILL need someone to protect Cabrerra, Maggs will probably hit ahead of Cabrerra in the line up like they have in the past. When Maggs went down last year, so did the Tigers as there was not much help left in the line up.

Mr. Boesch has to learn to play a whole season productivly or Cabrerra will have the same fate as this year, he would have won the MVP had they continued to be healthy.

From listening to many of you on the West coast during the baseball season, you gave the Impression that Edgar Rentaria while he was the MVP of the WS, was less than desirable on the team next year ....

Now comes THIS from Edgar discussing next year:

ORLANDO -- Edgar Renteria understands the best part of his major league career is over and baseball is a business, but he still hoped for better treatment from the San Francisco Giants after helping the team to the World Series in October.

San Francisco offered a one year, $1 million contract to the 2010 World Series MVP.

Renteria That offer from the Giants was a lack of respect. A total disrespect.
” -- Edgar Renteria

"That offer from the Giants was a lack of respect. A total disrespect," Renteria told ESPNdeportes.com Thursday from Colombia.

"To play for a million dollars, I'd rather stay with my private business and share more time with my family," he said. "Thank God I'm well off financially and my money is well invested."

Renteria, 34, had suggested he might retire after 2010. He was on the disabled list three times and played 72 games for San Francisco.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5928384

The last quote really got me, the "To play for a Million dollars, I'd rather not play ....."

What a piece of garbage, I'm SO glad that the Tigers got rid of him when they did, he did absolutely NOTHING while he was there ....
I feel bad for the Tigers with what they had to give up to get this POG .

The last quote really got me, the "To play for a Million dollars, I'd rather not play ....."

What a piece of garbage, I'm SO glad that the Tigers got rid of him when they did, he did absolutely NOTHING while he was there ....

Different team, different circumstances. You looking at it as far what he did for the Tigers...which much nothing. For the Giants, without him, they don't win the World Series, period. Obviously, the Giants DON'T want him. Because as far as professional baseball is concerned, that IS showing little regards for what he did.

Cannot compare that to the real world.

Seeing that the MLB minimum is more than $400K and the average has climbed to more than $3M I'd have to side with Renteria. What's wrong with that decision??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts