2010-11 MLB Hot Stove

Different team, different circumstances. You looking at it as far what he did for the Tigers...which much nothing. For the Giants, without him, they don't win the World Series, period. Obviously, the Giants DON'T want him. Because as far as professional baseball is concerned, that IS showing little regards for what he did.

Cannot compare that to the real world.

But, according to people out there, he stunk up the place during the year and they wanted him gone ... but when the WSW came around he played very well ... thats from Giant fan earlier.

Seeing that the MLB minimum is more than $400K and the average has climbed to more than $3M I'd have to side with Renteria. What's wrong with that decision??

Maybe it has to do with CLASS ....

I don't see Maggs bitchin that he doesn't want to play of 1 M this year and he's ten times the player Rent is.

I don't see why the Renteria situation is troubling to anyone. His career has had its ups and downs. I guess San Francisco has other plans at shortstop, and so they offered Rent-a-Wreck a million dollars to be a 34 years old utility infielder. It is chump change, but given their situation, if that is what they believe it is worth to have him padding out the roster, what else can they do, other than show him "respect" by not offering him anything?

Still, I can understand his disappointment by not being rewarded for his exceptional post-season, as I doubt that it led to any big endorsement deals that a younger and more marketable player might have gotten.

Is there something about him personally that sours people on him? I just looked up his numbers in Boston, where he played for one year while being constantly vilified, and those numbers weren't bad. He had a career high in runs, and otherwise somewhat above average offensive numbers for a glove shortstop.

Last edited:
I don't see why the Renteria situation is troubling to anyone. His career has had its ups and downs. I guess San Francisco has other plans at shortstop, and so they offered Rent-a-Wreck a million dollars to be a 34 years old utility infielder. It is chump change, but given their situation, if that is what they believe it is worth to have him padding out the roster, what else can they do, other than show him "respect" by not offering him anything?

Still, I can understand his disappointment my not being rewarded for his exceptional post-season, as I doubt that it led to any big endorsement deals that a younger and more marketable player might have gotten.

Is there something about him personally that sours people on him? I just looked up his numbers in Boston, where he played for one year while being constantly vilified, and those numbers weren't bad. He had a career high in runs, and otherwise somewhat above average offensive numbers for a glove shortstop.

He hit .270 in Detroit and played LOUSY D.
And he came over to shore up the Tigers a SS, then decided he couldn't get to anything.

But, according to people out there, he stunk up the place during the year and they wanted him gone ... but when the WSW came around he played very well ... thats from Giant fan earlier.

And they reflected them no wanting him by offering less than the MLB average. Someone will give him 2 or 3 million....

Still, I can understand his disappointment by not being rewarded for his exceptional post-season, as I doubt that it led to any big endorsement deals that a younger and more marketable player might have gotten.

great post!

I was wondering how much he wanted to "Feel" appreciated.
You think 2-3M will do it, I doubt it.
I'm sure he WANTS the 10M he's made in the past several years.
I see a player that doesn't realize he's losing time in this game.

10M

Year-By-Year Salary
Contract Year Salary Contract Year Salary
2000 $2,250,000 2001 $4,500,000
2002 $6,000,000 2003 $6,500,000
2004 $7,250,000 2005 $8,000,000
2006 $10,000,000 2007 $10,000,000
2008 $10,000,000 2009 $8,000,000
2010 $10,000,000

There was NO WAY he was gonna get $10 million....

If someone wants him bad enough, I'd offer him 5M and I would imagine he'd take it, provided it's a team with a chance, if it's a team with no chance of the playoffs, he'd probably turn that down too.

If someone wants him bad enough, I'd offer him 5M and I would imagine he'd take it, provided it's a team with a chance, if it's a team with no chance of the playoffs, he'd probably turn that down too.

Realistically, he would be lucky to be OFFERED that much, but really won't get more than $3 million.

I just visited Renteria's Baseball Reference page and see that only once in his career, way back in 1996, did he finish in the top ten at his position in range factor. Now, I'm not one who pays much attention to any of these modern qualitative assessment sabremetrics, but does range factor mean anything to anyone at all? How can a shortstop win two Gold Gloves without being in the top ten in range factor? Or perhaps the question should be, how can anyone care about a statistic called range factor if the defensive player regarded as the best at his position isn't in the top ten?

If he wants to play another year for $4 to $5 million, he should be prepared to practice with college teams in the spring to keep his game reflexes up, and wait until someone's shortstop gets injured.

What an offseason for the Red Sox!! :up

First they add Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford to their lineup, and now they add Bobby Jenks and Dan Wheeler to the bullpen!

Could Boston have three championship parades in 2011 (Pats, Celtics and Red Sox)?? :eek:
Obviously, these teams have to win it on the field/court, but I must admit I have visions of sugar plums dancing in my head!! :D

I think Jenks is capable of being the sleeper acquisition of the off-season.

He was very good in Chicago- I think he could pay off big time.

(I'm going to pick Boston as my 2011 AL Pennant winner, but I still think about what if they still had Bay in left...)

I think Jenks is capable of being the sleeper acquisition of the off-season.

He was very good in Chicago- I think he could pay off big time.

(I'm going to pick Boston as my 2011 AL Pennant winner, but I still think about what if they still had Bay in left...)
I don't understand your fixation with Jason Bay. Nice outfielder amd nice acquisition at the time, but the Sox knew when to let him move on...

What an offseason for the Red Sox!! :up

First they add Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford to their lineup, and now they add Bobby Jenks and Dan Wheeler to the bullpen!

Could Boston have three championship parades in 2011 (Pats, Celtics and Red Sox)?? :eek:
Obviously, these teams have to win it on the field/court, but I must admit I have visions of sugar plums dancing in my head!! :D

What about da BROONS!!! :D

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)