2010-11 MLB Hot Stove

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Looks like Matt Garza is a CUB...

...and the fire sale continues! And soon you will see a headline read: Longoria shoots agent for sign long term deal with Rays! LOL!

Updated: January 7, 2011, 11:30 AM ET

Source: Cubs agree to Garza deal

By Bruce Levine

The Tampa Bay Rays and Chicago Cubs have agreed to a multi-player deal that will bring right-handed pitcher Matt Garza to Chicago, according to a major league source.

The deal, which has been agreed to pending physicals, sends right-handed pitcher Chris Archer, outfielder Brandon Guyer, catcher Robinson Chirinos, shortstop Hak-Ju Lee and outfielder Sam Fuld to Tampa for Garza, a minor-league pitcher and a minor-league outfielder.

Archer, 22, combined to go 15-3 with 2.34 in 28 games between Single-A Daytona and Tennessee, and was the Cubs' 2010 minor league pitcher of the year. Archer was acquired by the Cubs in a trade that sent popular utility man Mark DeRosa to the Cleveland Indians.

Guyer batted .344 with 13 home runs and 58 RBIs for Double-A Tennessee in 2010. The 24-year old was the Cubs' minor league player of the year.

Lee batted .282 and stole 32 bases for Single-A Peoria.

Fuld played in 98 games for the Cubs between 2007-10. He batted .299 in 65 games in '09.

The Cubs and at least three other teams had been negotiating with the Rays about Garza since the December winter meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

Garza, 27, is coming off his best season, compiling a 15-10 record with a 3.91 ERA. Garza averaged 6.6 strikeouts and 2.77 walks per nine innings. Hitters batted .248 against Garza in 2010.

Tampa, in the mode of retooling the next few seasons, was willing to trade Garza for top young talent. The Rays were looking to get a shortstop, catcher and some top-caliber young pitching in return for Garza.

Chicago Cubs are close to a trade for Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Matt Garza - ESPN Chicago

Looks like Galaraga will have competion for the fifth spot in the rotation

Reports: Tigers sign pitcher Brad Penny to one-year deal
Tom Gage / The Detroit News
Detroit— The Tigers now have six starters for five spots. According to multiple reports, they've signed 11-year veteran Brad Penny to a one-year contract.

The framework of the contract is that Penny will be given a base salary of $3 million, but could make another $3 million through incentives.

From The Detroit News: Reports: Tigers sign pitcher Brad Penny to one-year deal | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Looks like Galaraga will have competion for the fifth spot in the rotation

Reports: Tigers sign pitcher Brad Penny to one-year deal
Tom Gage / The Detroit News
Detroit— The Tigers now have six starters for five spots. According to multiple reports, they've signed 11-year veteran Brad Penny to a one-year contract.

The framework of the contract is that Penny will be given a base salary of $3 million, but could make another $3 million through incentives.

From The Detroit News: Reports: Tigers sign pitcher Brad Penny to one-year deal | detnews.com | The Detroit News

This is a good move.... you always have more Starters than spots open, they go to the Pen for a while and Start in Spot locations.

Having Brad Penny on the roster didn't result in a starter surplus for the 2008 Red Sox. A few weeks later, they were starting someone named Tawaza or Tazawa or something like that.

Having Brad Penny on the roster didn't result in a starter surplus for the 2008 Red Sox. A few weeks later, they were starting someone named Tawaza or Tazawa or something like that.

I remember that, rather surprised with the outcome there.
Here's hoping for better things from him this time around !

Tigers signed Rayburn to a 2 year contract I believe I heard today.

Jim Thome re-signs with the Twins for 1 year
I love the guy ever since he was with Philadelphia but it really bothers me that guys who can no longer play the game, are accumulating hitting stats towards getting into the Baseball Hall of Fame. If it wasn't for the nonsensical DH rule in the AL this wouldn't be happening. There's something inherently unfair in that. It diminishes the accomplishments of those who have gone before IMHO. If I had played 16 or 17 years as a position player and hit 500 HR's only to be moved down one more notch on the all-time list by someone who hadn't played in the field for 4 or 5 years I would be ticked to say the least. It's just wrong.

Go ahead gang, fire away, you won't change my mind. :)

With The Boss gone, I didn't think this would happen to Brian Cashman anymore:

In a move mirroring those of his famous father, Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner overruled general manager Brian Cashman in giving a $35 million, three-year contract to Rafael Soriano.

Distancing himself from the decision after a news conference Wednesday to introduce Mariano Rivera's new setup man, Cashman said he didn't think it was worth playing closer money for a pitcher the team plans to use in the eighth inning.

And the general manager didn't want to lose his first-round pick in June's amateur draft, which will now go to Tampa Bay as compensation.

Yankees GM Brian Cashman overruled by bosses on Rafael Soriano - MLB - SI.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)