2010-11 MLB Hot Stove

Werth's carreer through age 31 compares unfavorably to that of J.D. Drew. According to Baseball-Reference, is most closely matches that of Brad Hawpe, whoever he is.

I think Washington choked on this one. They think they are on the brink of becoming Washington's team with Strasburg and the rookie with the Kiss makeup, but they panicked when they got some adverse fan reaction from losing Dunn to free agency. I remember when the Washington Wizards got lambasted for "losing" Juan Howard to Miami, so when the league struck down his contract, Washington took advantage of that opportunity to overpay Howard by tens of millions of dollars - a decision they would regret for years to come.

Not only did they choke on this one, but pissed off EVERY SINGLE OWNER in MLB! Every single agent started licking his lips after that deal. Then you wonder why I will NEVER EVER side with owners, because of dumb ass signings like this! HOW can you go crying "poverty" and then do THIS??!! Don't get me wrong,
Werth is a nice player...but this is a franchise, building-a-team-around-a-guy type money. Crazy....

It is crazy. Even the Yankees wouldn't spend that kind of money on him.

Looks like the CUBS signed former Ray, Carlos Pena. Make it even MORE imperative that the Rays sign Crawford.

Source: Chicago Cubs agree to one-year deal with Carlos Pena - ESPN Chicago

Pena hit .196/.325 /.407 for the Rays last season and struck out 158 times. But he did hit 28 home runs, which is what got him a deal.

You have to hand it to Scott Boras. A guy who hit .196 got a pay cut of only $125,000.

Pena lands with Cubs - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

Last year, Crawford was up to something like 38 straight, successful swipes against the Red Sox. When he played against Wakefield, every time he got to first, two pitches later, he was on third.

So what can the Red Sox fans cry about now? Catcher, shortstop, middle relief, seventh starter...

Last year, Crawford was up to something like 38 straight, successful swipes against the Red Sox. When he played against Wakefield, every time he got to first, two pitches later, he was on third.

So what can the Red Sox fans cry about now? Catcher, shortstop, middle relief, seventh starter...

Barring any injuries, there is NO REASON why they should not win the WS now. They just OUT Yankeed the Yankees.

Barring any injuries, there is NO REASON why they should not win the WS now. They just OUT Yankeed the Yankees.

I'm waiting to see what they decide to do with thier shaky pitching before deciding if they are WS contenders yet.

All five of their starters have recently contended for the Cy Young award and all five are ostensibly in or are approaching their prime years. I know that Beckett and Lackey were disappointments last year, but all starting pitchers are iffy. All I expect them to do is add a middle reliever or two.

All five of their starters have recently contended for the Cy Young award and all five are ostensibly in or are approaching their prime years. I know that Beckett and Lackey were disappointments last year, but all starting pitchers are iffy. All I expect them to do is add a middle reliever or two.

They need a Closer too, unless your counting on Paplebon to make a about face .... last we heard, they were talking about trading him or making a Starter out of him.

I think that the Red Sox are penciling in an about face for Papelbon. Searching this forum for the phrase, "a blown save waiting to happen" will reveal my evaluation of him.

FWIW, while Papelbon led the league in blown saves last season, Bard was tied for second in blown saves with a week or so to go. The difference was, in too many of the games where Papelbon didn't blow the save, he almost did.

It would be awkward to make Papelbon into a starter this year because of his contractual status plus the fact that the Red Sox already have about $50 million in starter salary payroll commitments,. You could make Papelbon a starter, Bard a closer and Dice K a set-up man, but doing so would introduce too many unknowns into the script for the upcoming season.

Last edited:

excellent point.

Hard for me not to be excited after the Red Sox spending spree!

What I think the lineup may look like Opening Day ( considering Francona likes to go L-R-L-R-etc):

1. Crawford-LF
2. Pedroia-2B
3. Gonzalez-1B
4. Youkilis-3B
5. Ortiz-DH
6. Lowrie/Scutaro-SS
7. Drew-RF
8. Saltalamacchia/Varitek-C
9. Ellsbury-CF

Having Ellsbury/Crawford 9/1 will give batteries fits!

Also, I'm more than comfortable going into the season with a Lester/Beckett/Buchholz/Lackey/Dice-K rotation. Now they just need to add an arm or two to the bullpen.

The Sox are going to be really good in 2011, but I think the lack of a catcher is going to bit them in the ass.

The Sox are going to be really good in 2011, but I think the lack of a catcher is going to bit them in the ass.
You may have a very valid point, I think the progession of Salty (or lack thereof) is key.

That being said, the priority is to add depth to a thin bullpen.

Hard for me not to be excited after the Red Sox spending spree!

What I think the lineup may look like Opening Day ( considering Francona likes to go L-R-L-R-etc):

1. Crawford-LF
2. Pedroia-2B
3. Gonzalez-1B
4. Youkilis-3B
5. Ortiz-DH
6. Lowrie/Scutaro-SS
7. Drew-RF
8. Saltalamacchia/Varitek-C
9. Ellsbury-CF

Having Ellsbury/Crawford 9/1 will give batteries fits!

Also, I'm more than comfortable going into the season with a Lester/Beckett/Buchholz/Lackey/Dice-K rotation. Now they just need to add an arm or two to the bullpen.

I had heard one of the talking heads mention something about the line up starting something like this:

Pedroia-2B
Ellsbury-CF
Crawford-LF
Gonzalez-1B
Ortiz-DH
Youkilis-3B

Thus allowing Crawford to hit 3rd and Ortiz to have some protection.

You may have a very valid point, I think the progession of Salty (or lack thereof) is key.

That being said, the priority is to add depth to a thin bullpen.

Bill,
Are you comfortable keeping Pap as the Closer, or do you want them to move him for someone else ?
Will he bounce back to be dominant or does he have mind games going on still ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts