Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
The long offseason is officially here!! :(

A few notes from today:

* The Brewers have hired Ron Roenicke as their new manager

* The Marlins are close to naming Edwin Rodriquez as their new manager

* The Red Sox have hired Curt Young as their new pitching coach

* The Mets have hired J.P. Ricciardi as a special assistant to new GM Sandy Alderson

* The Padres have picked up the 2011 club option on Adrian Gonzalez ($6.2 Million)

From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

The Reds, as expected, picked up the 2011 options for right-hander Bronson Arroyo ($11 million) and outfielder Jonny Gomes ($1.75 million) and declined those of shortstop Orlando Cabrera ($4 million) and right-hander Aaron Harang ($12.75 million).

Also:

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty on Wednesday was named Sporting News Executive of the Year, having helped turn a chronic loser into a winner.

The Red Sox are exercising their $12.5 million option on designated hitter David Ortiz.

The team announced Thursday it decided to keep the slugger, who got off to slow starts the past two seasons but finished strongly both times. Ortiz has expressed a preference for a long-term deal, which has not been ruled out by the club.

Boston Red Sox exercise option on David Ortiz - MLB - SI.com

The Red Sox are exercising their $12.5 million option on designated hitter David Ortiz.

The team announced Thursday it decided to keep the slugger, who got off to slow starts the past two seasons but finished strongly both times. Ortiz has expressed a preference for a long-term deal, which has not been ruled out by the club.

Boston Red Sox exercise option on David Ortiz - MLB - SI.com

Hmmm,
The Sox decided to keep him ....
and he WANTS a long term contract ?

Getting rid of Harang will free up some needed money to sign some of the arbitration eligible players they have.

The Victor Martinez situation is a valuation problem. A functionally adequate defensive catcher who puts up his numbers is worth a lot of money, but a DH/ firstbaseman is only no more than 2/3s that much. In other words, if the Red Sox don't believe he can regularly and reliably catch, they can get an Adam Dunn for the kind of money that Martinez believes he is worth as a catcher.

If fairness to Martinez, who has only thrown out 11% of the baseruners in 2009 for the Red Sox, he looked better defensively in September than I have ever seen him play and got his CS average up tp 21% last year, which is poor, but near his lifetime average of about 24%. Miguel Olivo threw out 42% of the runners this year, and is the same age as Martinez. The Red Sox might like him better, and he has been getting paid a lot less than Martinez has.

Last edited:
The Victor Martinez situation is a valuation problem. A functionally adequate defensive catcher who puts up his numbers is worth a lot of money, but a DH/ firstbaseman is only no more than 2/3s that much. In other words, if the Red Sox don't believe he can regularly and reliably catch, they can get an Adam Dunn for the kind of money that Martinez believes he is worth as a catcher.

If fairness to Martinez, who has only thrown out 11% of the baseruners in 2009 for the Red Sox, he looked better defensively in September than I have ever seen him play and got his CS average up tp 21% last year, which is poor, but near his lifetime average of about 24%. Miguel Olivo threw out 42% of the runners this year, and is the same age as Martinez. The Red Sox might like him better, and he has been getting paid a lot less than Martinez has.

Great post!! :up I agree with everything you said.

IMO, the V-Mart situation is a huge dilemma for the Sox. They definitely need his bat, but he can be a liability behind the plate.

Gents...do we really need a sticky blotting out the sunlight when the baseball season is over 'till next year. I think not...it's time to focus on Fall/Winter sports. Likewise, do we really need an 11-month NASCAR sticky? Car racing season is from Memorial Day to Labor Day - it becomes a "stinky" if its left up too long.

Gents...do we really need a sticky blotting out the sunlight when the baseball season is over 'till next year. I think not...it's time to focus on Fall/Winter sports. Likewise, do we really need an 11-month NASCAR sticky? Car racing season is from Memorial Day to Labor Day - it becomes a "stinky" if its left up too long.

Nascar is from the Middle of Feb to Nov.

Why not? We have the NFL sticky the ENTIRE year and the football season is only 6 months long.

I would think EVERY team will take a LOOK ....
Even the Tigers were mentioned as possibilities for Crawford and Lee....

Of course we really don't expect Mr. I to out bid the yanks or Red Sox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)