2010 British Open (aka The Open Championship)

When I click the player's names on the ESPN leader board, it list their weights but not their heights. Strange. I remember when Women's NCAA basketball player descriptions listed heights but not weights, but the only place where I might expect to see weights but not heights listed is for the Fourth of July hot dog eating contest.

Mark Calcavecchia weighs 240 pounds. John Daly weighs 185 pounds. Riiiiight.

Just realized that ABC will be getting coverage today. Disappointing to me because my local ABC only feeds a low bitrate 2.0 audio. I know ESPN doesn't do 5.1, but at least it is a higher bitrate and you can hear more detail
Hmmm. I didn't see it listed in the guide when I looked a few days ago. Of course, since it will be the exact same crew of ESPN knuckeheads it really doesn't matter.

Tiger's putt on #2 was soooo disappointing
I was watching earlier this morning, but I have been out running errands since 9:30 EST. Phil hit a great drive on #2 but then hit a disappointing appoach and subsequently three putted a very difficult green.

Anyway, I noticed that Phil has gone from +1 to -4 (Yeah!). I would like to think he is back in the tournament, but WestHosen (that's the way he pronounced it) is so far ahead that he would have to fall apart in his round today. Of course, with this being St. Andrews...anything is possible.

How are the winds right now? I don't be in front of a television for another couple yours, but I should be able to see the leaders playing the back nine.

Tiger can't put anything together, I'm counting him out sine the rest of the field is gaining a bigger lead on him

Paul Wozniak said:
What the hell did he change putters for?

don't really know. I doubt he would change if he wasn't comfortable with it though.

it appears the ABC coverage will be replay

Tiger can't put anything together, I'm counting him out sine the rest of the field is gaining a bigger lead on him
Stick a fork in and toss him on the pile with Phil - he's done. From what I see, it's now a two-man contest between Oostie and Casey. To be honest, Tiger may not win a single tounament this year.

Calcavecchia had a miserable day. Sergio Garcia was surging early in the round, but fell back on the back nine. Westood settled into playing par golf today, but he could move into remote contention if he closes with a couple birdies (not likely). Dustin Johnson (-6) and Ricky Barnes (-5) are the two U.S. players with an extreme outside shot...but both players have choked in final rounds this year. We shall see.

Oostie is still playing solid golf. I keep waiting for the wheels to come off, but he keeps on keeping on. We'll see if he can get through the final holes at even-par and get off to a good start on the early holes tomorrow.

Tiger Woods past his prime?

Well, it was finally mentioned today as Tiger is getting ready to tee-off. "It's quite possible that we can finally see Tiger creeping to the other side of his prime. There's been a lot that's happened to him emotionally and he's dealing with a lot on the golf course...and he just may be getting on the other side of his prime."

"Do you think at 34 it could be the start of the backend of the apex of the mountain?"

"It's not out of the question - 34 is about the time players decline...and with all the personal problems."

Tom Watson said you have to combine the injuries (documented and undocument) along with a lot of things going on his mind that weren't there before.

It should be an interesting final round:

Louis Oosthuizen -15 (9:05 am EST)
Paul Casey -11 (9:05 am EST)
Martin Kaymer -8 (8:55 am EST)
Alejandro Canizares -7 (8:45 am EST)
Lee Westwood -7 (8:45 am EST)

Way to go Oostie! He won in convincing fashion!! The highest finishing U.S. Players were Sean O'Hair and Nick Watney at -6 (Tied for 7th); Tiger finished at -3 and Phil finished at +1 for the championship. On a side note, I feel bad for Lee Westwood who has finished in the Top 3 in the four of the last five majors - he is the new Phil Mickelson of this decade.

Top Finishers:
Louis Oosthuizen -16
Lee Westwood -9
Rory McIlroy -8
Henrik Stenson -8
Paul Casey -8

Best Open Championship ever...it was in HD!!!

Well, it was finally mentioned today as Tiger is getting ready to tee-off. "It's quite possible that we can finally see Tiger creeping to the other side of his prime. There's been a lot that's happened to him emotionally and he's dealing with a lot on the golf course...and he just may be getting on the other side of his prime."

"Do you think at 34 it could be the start of the backend of the apex of the mountain?"

"It's not out of the question - 34 is about the time players decline...and with all the personal problems."

Tom Watson said you have to combine the injuries (documented and undocument) along with a lot of things going on his mind that weren't there before.

I'd say he's past his prime, yes.

He's still only 4 Major's away from tying Jack though, which is plenty doable. Even at his old age.

BTW, Jack won 6 majors after the age of 34, so Tiger has no excuses.

Way to go Oostie! He won in convincing fashion!! The highest finishing U.S. Players were Sean O'Hair and Nick Watney at -6 (Tied for 7th); Tiger finished at -3 and Phil finished at +1 for the championship. On a side note, I feel bad for Lee Westwood who has finished in the Top 3 in the four of the last five majors - he is the new Phil Mickelson of this decade.

Top Finishers:
Louis Oosthuizen -16
Lee Westwood -9
Rory McIlroy -8
Henrik Stenson -8
Paul Casey -8

Best Open Championship ever...it was in HD!!!

I wouldn't go that far. For the most part, this Championship was dull and without any sort of drama. Oosty (who? exactly) won pretty much from start to finish. No one ever challenged him. Crystal clear image or not, this Open was a dud.

I'd say he's past his prime, yes.

He's still only 4 Major's away from tying Jack though, which is plenty doable. Even at his old age.

BTW, Jack won 6 majors after the age of 34, so Tiger has no excuses.
Yep, it's likely...but still winning another four major championships is no walk in the park. Tiger still has to beat the man to be the man. Anyway, here is why I find Jack to be so untouchable in the record books:

"However, I am 100% certain that Tiger will not surpass Jack in the record book by achieving 19 major championship ... runner-up finishes."

That's 37 major championships in which Jack finished in 1st or 2nd place. That's an incredible record!

Tiger Woods will never touch Jack Nicklaus's runner-up finishes - Tours & News - Golf.com

Yep, it's likely...but still winning another four major championships is no walk in the park. Tiger still has to beat the man to be the man. Anyway, here is why I find Jack to be so untouchable in the record books:

"However, I am 100% certain that Tiger will not surpass Jack in the record book by achieving 19 major championship ... runner-up finishes."

That's 37 major championships in which Jack finished in 1st or 2nd place. That's an incredible record!

Tiger Woods will never touch Jack Nicklaus's runner-up finishes - Tours & News - Golf.com

Just think if he had won half of those. WOW what a record that would have been.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts