2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Sorry GB...another thing Chicago has going against them is Hossa...remeber the guy who failed to show-up and lost the Cup with Detroit last year and Pittsburgh two years ago. Plus, the Blackhawks have a serious goaltending issue going into the playoffs. Sorry satjay, I thought I was quoting Bob.

I think the goaltending issue has been solved. Nemi has been rock solid, and Huet whlie sucky has some experience. I would expect to see Nemi in goal, and our 4th line to carry us. I dont expect Nemi to be perfect, but he needs to be good enough to help out the offensive lines carry us. This is a team sport :)

Thats OK Jim,
The Hawks will have thier hands full with Nashville.
Agreed. I'm not sure how Chicago fared against Nashville this year, but they have always played the Wings tight. They were the one team I didn't want to face in the 1st round. Although we would win the series, the team would be sucking-wind going into the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Red Wing and Blackhawk fans- your team can't take the Coyotes and Predators, respectively, for granted.

These are tough teams with fine goaltenders.

Thanks for clearing that up, that now makes sense, I forgot how far west they really were I guess.

They have been talking about moving the Wings to the East for many years now, but never seem to do it.

I still find it ODD that the Wings are moving thier games UP an hour, maybe it's only :30 minutes but just the same.
That's what I hate about our yearly playoff schedule...all those 10pm starting times on the west coast. Detroit is one of only two Western Conference teams residing in an Eastern Time Zone (the other being Columbus). Unfortunately, all the Eastern Conference teams are also on Eastern Standard Time so someone would have to move out west for Detroit to move over. Anyway, here are the number of Western Conference teams by timezone:

Pacific - 4
Mountain - 4
Central - 5
Eastern - 2

Redwings seems to be our Kriptinyte. We came so close to winning that game, I was yelling at the TV when the puck hit both crossbars and never went in. Had it gone over, thats it game over in overtime! Redwings Loose. But it's ok with this loss, as we needed it going in to remind us how a big loss like that feels. Now, its on to the playoffs where we will begin the march for the cup, in the new hockey town, CHICAGO! Sorry detroit, if you are so honored to meet us, your getting your ass whooped! :D
Bob, before you can talk smack your team should probably have won a Stanley Cup within the past almost 50-years. Additionally, Chicago is the least winningest team among the Original Six, so claiming the Hockeytown moniker would be quite a stretch. ;)

Riff's Picks

Ok, here are my 1st Round Predictions...

Eastern Conference:
Washington over Montreal in 4
New Jersey over Philadelphia in 6
Buffalo over Boston in 7
Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 6

Western Conference:
San Jose over Colorado in 5
Chicago over Nashville in 6
Vancouver over Los Angeles in 7
Detroit over Phoenix in 5

Ok, here are my 1st Round Predictions...

Eastern Conference:
Washington over Montreal in 4
New Jersey over Philadelphia in 6
Buffalo over Boston in 7
Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 6

Western Conference:
San Jose over Colorado in 5
Chicago over Nashville in 6
Vancouver over Los Angeles in 7
Detroit over Phoenix in 5

I've yet to sit down and evaluate the matchups, but at first glance these picks look good to me! :up

Redwings seems to be our Kriptinyte. We came so close to winning that game, I was yelling at the TV when the puck hit both crossbars and never went in. Had it gone over, thats it game over in overtime! Redwings Loose. But it's ok with this loss, as we needed it going in to remind us how a big loss like that feels. Now, its on to the playoffs where we will begin the march for the cup, in the new hockey town, CHICAGO! Sorry detroit, if you are so honored to meet us, your getting your ass whooped! :D
You have to EARN the title of "HOCKEYTOWN" ....
Chicago has done NOTHING to EARN the name.

When you win 4 Stanley Cups in 12 years, come talk to us !

Fwiw, the Blackhawks have won 3 Stanley Cups since 1926.

My first-round playoff picks:

Sharks over Avalanche in 5- Colorado is everything last year's Ducks were not in a #8 seed- cold down the stretch b(Ducks were hot- Colorado lost their last 3), a team not used to winning (only 1 player left from their Cup Champs), a not-so-loaded defensive corps (Adam Foote is a veteran, but it's not exactly Pronger and Niedermayer), and a serious lack of experience (most of the Ducks were on the 2007 Cup winning team). If last year's Ducks were the #8 seed from hell, the Avs are anything but.

Blackhawks over Predators in 5- Chicago's goaltending may be shaky, but who exactly is going to put the puck in the net for Nashville? Plus, the Blackhawks have scoring depth that I don't know if the Preds could match.

Canucks over Kings in 6- This series could be very fun, but Jonathan Quick has been shaky since the Olympic Break. Plus, Vancouver has the West's scariest offense- that could be a rough combination. But Luongo has been iffy at times since the Olympics, and the Kings have some fine scorers themselves. Still, Quick has been too leaky for the Kings to go far.

Coyotes over Red Wings in 6- Call it a hunch, but I think it could happen. Phoenix is a good team that deserves respect. They have a good goaltender (with playoff experince, a ring, and the second-longest playoff shutout streak), defense, and a lot of grit. Plus, home-ice advantage will be very crucial- Detroit, normally a master of that, will not have that on their side, and that could prove to be crucial. Jimbo, I'm sorry, but rookie goaltenders rarely succeed in the playoffs (only twice in my lifetime- Patrick Roy in 1986 and Cam Ward in 2006- has that ever happened). I'm not ready to buy into Jimmy Howard in the postseason. He could prove me wrong, but history says otherwise.

Capitals over Canadiens in 5- Montreal is not exactly going into the playoffs like a house of fire. Jaroslav Halak is a far less daunting goalie then Henrik Lundqvist.

Devils over Flyers in 6- Philly can match N.J. in toughness and talent, but ultimately, the goaltending mismatch will hurt the Flyers.

Sabres over Bruins in 6- Ryan Miller is a stud goalie, plus the Bruin offense is not what it was last year.

Senators over Penguins in 6- This is my upset special. The Penguins have been VERY inconsistent since the Olympic Break- and I am not a fan of teams that go into the playoffs cold. Ottawa had a better finishing kick, plus they have talent in Alffredsson, Spezza, and Mike Fisher, plus a capable D with Volchenkov and Phillips.

My four Conference Final teams- Sharks, Blackhawks, Capitals, and (this is a homer pick) Sabres.

Sharks over Avalanche in 5- Colorado is everything last year's Ducks were not in a #8 seed- cold down the stretch b(Ducks were hot- Colorado lost their last 3), a team not used to winning (only 1 player left from their Cup Champs), a not-so-loaded defensive corps (Adam Foote is a veteran, but it's not exactly Pronger and Niedermayer), and a serious lack of experience (most of the Ducks were on the 2007 Cup winning team). If last year's Ducks were the #8 seed from hell, the Avs are anything but.

Blackhawks over Predators in 5- Chicago's goaltending may be shaky, but who exactly is going to put the puck in the net for Nashville? Plus, the Blackhawks have scoring depth that I don't know if the Preds could match.

Canucks over Kings in 6- This series could be very fun, but Jonathan Quick has been shaky since the Olympic Break. Plus, Vancouver has the West's scariest offense- that could be a rough combination. But Luongo has been iffy at times since the Olympics, and the Kings have some fine scorers themselves. Still, Quick has been too leaky for the Kings to go far.

Coyotes over Red Wings in 6- Call it a hunch, but I think it could happen. Phoenix is a good team that deserves respect. They have a good goaltender (with playoff experince, a ring, and the second-longest playoff shutout streak), defense, and a lot of grit. Plus, home-ice advantage will be very crucial- Detroit, normally a master of that, will not have that on their side, and that could prove to be crucial. Jimbo, I'm sorry, but rookie goaltenders rarely succeed in the playoffs (only twice in my lifetime- Patrick Roy in 1986 and Cam Ward in 2006- has that ever happened). I'm not ready to buy into Jimmy Howard in the postseason. He could prove me wrong, but history says otherwise.

Capitals over Canadiens in 5- Montreal is not exactly going into the playoffs like a house of fire. Jaroslav Halak is a far less daunting goalie then Henrik Lundqvist.

Devils over Flyers in 6- Philly can match N.J. in toughness and talent, but ultimately, the goaltending mismatch will hurt the Flyers.

Sabres over Bruins in 6- Ryan Miller is a stud goalie, plus the Bruin offense is not what it was last year.

Senators over Penguins in 6- This is my upset special. The Penguins have been VERY inconsistent since the Olympic Break- and I am not a fan of teams that go into the playoffs cold. Ottawa had a better finishing kick, plus they have talent in Alffredsson, Spezza, and Mike Fisher, plus a capable D with Volchenkov and Phillips.

My four Conference Final teams- Sharks, Blackhawks, Capitals, and (this is a homer pick) Sabres.

Few minor changes in your thoughts there Sabre's
1st, Nashville will give Chicago EVERYTHING they can handle, my guess is the Hawks win , but it won't be easy.
If they play at all like they have against the Wings, they may BEAT the Hawks.

2nd, you mentioned that Rookie goaltenders don't succeed in the playoffs, only twice in your lifetime, but you see you are young ...... Ken Dryden did it if I recall correctly, but that was earlier than the ones you mentioned.

You just mentioned that Cam Ward won in '06, so you just proved that there is a history, it happened in the last three years.

Now, that said, I'm not saying that the Wings will win it all, as I don't think they will, but they Could.
IF they score they have as good a chance as any, but the West is MUCH tougher than the East.

Fwiw, HOWARD will not the reason they may not win.....

You are right Phoenix deserves respect, they are new to this suppose to win group of teams.
They don't have much playoff experience, this will be thier downfall.

Jimbo, I do think Detroit's other potential playoff round 1 opponents would have been a lot more vulnerable and better options:

Vancouver- leaky and injured defense; Luongo has been up-and-down at times since the Olympic Break

Chicago- big brother-little brother syndrome

San Jose- You know about their playoff woes

Plus, compared to those three teams, Phoenix will be playing with house money- contrast that with the huge pressure on the three teams I mentioned.

I just feel that Detroit's round 1 opponent could be a tricky dance partner (kind of like drawing a scary underdog in the NCAA Tournament)

Actually the reason the Sharks had problems with the Quacks last year is because they were a gritty, physical and somewhat dirty team.

The only time the sharks made the Conference finals was in 2003 when they were a gritty, physical and somewhat dirty team!

Jimbo, I do think Detroit's other potential playoff round 1 opponents would have been a lot more vulnerable and better options:

Vancouver- leaky and injured defense; Luongo has been up-and-down at times since the Olympic Break

Chicago- big brother-little brother syndrome

San Jose- You know about their playoff woes

Plus, compared to those three teams, Phoenix will be playing with house money- contrast that with the huge pressure on the three teams I mentioned.

I just feel that Detroit's round 1 opponent could be a tricky dance partner (kind of like drawing a scary underdog in the NCAA Tournament)

Detroit's first round is ALWAYS and adventure, weather they win or not it's the scariest round out there.
It's kinda like once you get past the first round things settle in ... after that the expectations rise considerably.

I see that its possible Versus is putting up alternate feeds for the NHL playoffs this year.

Has anybody heard what the actual plan is? I don't see any mention of this on the Versus website.

I don't see any games scheduled on the Center Ice channels as of yet either. I hope this does not mean we will have to catch any and all NHL action on the main Versus feed and alternate feeds for the 1st rounds of the playoffs.

This would mean Center Ice subs will miss a bunch of games. I also hope that all of the NHL Playoff games will be available in HD to all Center Ice subscribers

John

No way in the worlds Detroit or Pittsburgh go out in the 1st round. There is just too much pride, experience and talent for this to happen. Both teams find a way to win.

Additionally, I don't see Chicago having an easy time with Nashville. I this as being a hard-faught series with the Blackhawks coming out on top.

Getting excited about the playoffs starting tomorrow night. :)

Me too!!! :up

The intensity of the NHL playoffs is second to none!! :)

Here's the opening night schedule on VERSUS:

All Times Eastern

Wednesday
Hockey Central, 6:30
Game 1: Ottawa at Pittsburgh, 7
Game 1: Detroit at Phoenix, 10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts