2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Until this year, Chicago's most recent trip to the Cup Finals was back in 1992.

It's been a while for the Hawks.

To put this in perspective, the last time the Blackhawks made it to the Cup Finals:

The Summer and Winter Olympics were in the same year for the last time

NBA players first played on the basketball Olympic team

'Step By Step' was on its first year on ABC's 'TGIF'

Nicklas Lidstrom was a rookie

Shaquille O'Neal was the #1 pick in the NBA Draft

I was working for the now dead, Chicago Sportschannel back then. It was an awesome team with some GREAT players and a couple of good friends!

What a roster:

Jeremy Roenick
Chris Chelios(good friend and one of the craziest drink buddies I ever had)
Brent Sutter
Steve Larmer
Brian Noonan
Christian Ruuttu
Steve Smith
Eddie Belfour(good friend).

I will be going back to Chicago for family in early to mid June...and if lucky, I will see a parade at Grant Park when they win Lord Stanley's Cup.

The clocks strikes midnight for the Cinderella Canadiens (though they didn't go down without a fight- that was an INTENSE game. Sandy and Jimmy must have had a great time there)

The Stanley Cup Finals will match the Flyers and Blackhawks, two teams that hadn't won a Cup in my lifetime. Now, I'll be able to say one of them did.

Tremendous game, but it's not difficult to have a lot of energy in a building when you are advancing to the Stanley Cup finals. I can still taste my cheese steak from Tony Luke's before the game! Yum!

Sandra

heh same here...Flyers would have won the cup about a month before I was born

The last time the Flyers won the Cup I was living in Philly and was only 2 years old! :) You know how much I waited to see the Phillies win the WS? I was 7 when the Phillies won that WS my father and grandfather took me to that game we were sitting as the nose bledding section at the VET it was cold but those memories of that game I will never forgot!

Last edited:
Tremendous game, but it's not difficult to have a lot of energy in a building when you are advancing to the Stanley Cup finals. I can still taste my cheese steak from Tony Luke's before the game! Yum!

Sandra

Oh my Philly Cheese steak was in Philly last year visiting my family and friends and the first thing when I get out of the Airport is to go to Geno's for a Cheese steak with a lot of sweet peppers, green peppers, lots of onion, and bring on that ketchup and mustard!;) And when I go to the Bank to Bull's BBQ!

Stanley Cup Finals schedule announced:

All games start at 8:00pm ET/5:00pm PT

Game 1:mad: Chicago- Sat. 5/29- NBC/NBC-HD

Game 2:mad: Chicago- Mon. 5/31-NBC/NBC-HD

Game 3:mad: Philadelphia- Wed. 6/2- Versus/Versus-HD

Game 4:mad: Philadelphia- Fri. 6/4- Versus/Versus-HD

Game 5:mad: Chicago- Sun. 6/6- Versus/Versus-HD

Game 6:mad: Philadelphia- Wed. 6/9- NBC/NBC-HD

Game 7:mad: Chicago- Fri. 6/11- NBC/NBC-HD

Only one potential conflict with the NBA Finals: Sunday, June 6

At least we have no 10:30 starts :rolleyes:

I thought VS only had games 3 & 4?

It surprises me that NBC doesn't have Weekend only games .....

Now that the season enders are over, then again NBC doesn't have too many to worry about !

It surprises me that NBC doesn't have Weekend only games .....

Now that the season enders are over, then again NBC doesn't have too many to worry about !
I was watching Morning Joe on MSNBC the other day and they were going on and on about "who watches this stuff anyway?" and "hockey is fun to go to but impossible to watch on television." Joe Scarborough even said that since he "never sees it televised, then who would care about it other than the cities involved." :confused: He's from Pensacola, so....

Sometimes I wonder if these glamorized airheads really do think their opinions are everyone's opinions. :rolleyes:

Here are some Stanley Cup Final storylines to follows:

1. Something has to give- in the past decade or so, most of the Cup Finals have involved at least one established team with Cup success (Detroit, Dallas, Colorado, New Jersey). This year has a different feel- you have two teams with long Cup droughts (Flyers haven't won since 1975, Blackhawks since 1961). One way or another, I will be able to add one of these teams to the list of teams that at one point I never thought would win a championship in my lifetime, but did (Saints, Buccaneers, Red Sox, Rangers, White Sox)

2. Former Sabres. Brian Campbell (Chicago) and Daniel Briere (Philadelphia), former Buffalo Sabre stars, will collide for a chance at the Cup. Also interesting is that these guys had previously lost in three Conference Finals since the lockout (both were on the 2006 and 2007 Sabres. Briere lost in the East Finals in his first year with Philly in 2008; ditto for Campbell on last year's Hawks).

3. Unexpected goalie matchup. In a year where goalies like Brodeur, Miller, and Nabokov dominated, who would have thought that Antti Niemi and Michael Leighton would be the dueling netminders in this year's Stanley Cup showcase?

4. Wheeling and dealing- both clubs broke the bank for established stars- Chris Pronger and Marian Hossa, respectively.

5. Young captains- most Stanley Cup champions in the recent past have been led by veteran captains (Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Brind'Amour, Andreychuk, Scott Stevens, Yzerman, Sakic). When Crosby won it all last year, that seemed to be a changing of the guard. This year, you have two of the younger captains- Mike Richards and Jonathan Toews.

I think I'll be watching and actually pulling for the Blackhawks ...
What the heck, they are in the Western Conference with my team.
May as well pull for the conference.

Chicago isn't the HATED team that they were in years past with the Wings, that rivalry has been gone for a long time now .....
Possibly working it's way back to be a very good rivalry, provided the Wings continue to be strong and the Hawks don't take a step back after thier success the last few years.

They have a good group of players now that should be there for awhile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)