2010 Winter Olympics

So you would prefer a bunch of people we've never heard of represent our country, and with hockey being such a dismal pastime here, like do that well, outside of aberrations (or 'miracles').
I agree...I would like to continue to see the World's Best players going at it in the Olympics. As far as hockey being a dismal pastime here...it continues to be the most popular sport north of the Mason-Dixon line and into Canada. Here are the impressive overnight ratings from the game yesterday afternoon:

Source

The Canada/USA Olympic Men's Hockey Gold Medal game drew a 17.6 overnight rating on NBC Sunday afternoon, up 46% from the '02 Gold Medal game, which featured the same two teams...

...Sunday's game is on pace to finish as the highest rated hockey telecast in the United States since 1980.

To put the numbers in perspective, Sunday's game drew a higher overnight rating than every World Series game since 2004 (including every game of Yankees/Phillies last year), every NBA Finals telecast since 1998, and every NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four game since at least '98.

Excluding the NFL, the 17.6 overnight for the game is the second-highest of the year for any sporting event, behind only the Texas/Alabama BCS National Championship Game in January (18.2)."

Olympic Hockey is turning out to the the Anti Gary Bettman! ;)

The NFL (which had the most watched broadcast in television history this year, something finally beat MASH) would beat it, that's why they excluded it... and that was USA v Canada, not some NHL game... I think it even set the record in Canada, but could be remembering that wrong.

Show me where I said "nhl". Does it have to be nhl to be an all star game?
Even in the days before pros were in the Olympics there were still all stars. The 1980 Miracle on Ice team was made up of college all stars, and our basketball teams were generally the All American team from college. I don't know if you're against having pros or anyone with a lick of talent.

Sorry but I can not get excited about the Hockey coverage one way or the other. I hate that it is just a bunch of pros playing an all star game.

Sorry, you're wrong, this is so much more than that. And I'm no big hockey fan....

Didn't know an opinion on this could be wrong. Everybody is entitled to their feelings on the subject.

You're stating this as fact, that's what I think is wrong. These are Americans, Canadians, Russians, Finns, etc., playing for their country.

Anyways.....that's all....

Congrats Canada.

How? I stated "I hate". This makes it my opinion and not a fact.

Nobody said that the game was like a "NHL" All Star game. My comment was about the teams being full of professional Stars and that is it.

The NHL all star game does not come close as there is no hitting in that game.

Show me where I said "nhl". Does it have to be nhl to be an all star game?

Since you are now playing semantics about what you said......

It was implied that you meant NHL All-Star game. What other hockey all-star game could you be referring to???

Also, a professional "all-star" game (of any kind) is usually an exhibition game, and those guys yesterday were giving it all they had, again, for their country. they did not earn a nickel.

Next. You said the word "hate" makes it an opinion, not fact.

I hate that blood is red. I hate that there are clouds in the sky. I hate that it snows in winter.

Because I hate those things they are not facts? Don't think so.....

Since you are now playing semantics about what you said......

It was implied that you meant NHL All-Star game. What other hockey all-star game could you be referring to???

So do you really think there are no other professional leagues in this world? If you want to think that I implied NHL then fine but I had stated that was not the case.

Ryan Miller and the rest of Sabre nation has no reason to hang their head today. The way he played throughout the tournament was absolutely commendable. He represented his country well, despite the loss.

Fwiw, Ryan Miller played fabulous, there were others that also played very well.

Parisie, Kane, Rafalski, all played very well and I'm sure I missed a few that stood out, seeing that was yesterday ....

What a guy ...... sheeeesh

Alex Ovechkin: 'Canada deserved to win' gold
Detroit News wire services

Washington -- Although disappointed that he was unable to lead Russia to a medal in Olympic hockey, Alex Ovechkin says Canada deserved to take home the gold.

Ovechkin participated in the closing ceremonies Sunday but returned in time to participate in practice with the Washington Capitals on Monday. Although he's looking forward to the resumption of the NHL season, he will always treasure looking back at the 2010 Winter Olympics.

The two-time NHL MVP stuck around to the end, even though Russia was eliminated by Canada in the quarterfinals last Wednesday. Ovechkin caught only the final minutes of Canada's 3-2 win over the United States on Sunday.

"I watched only overtime (but) I think Canada deserved to win. They played better," Ovechkin said. "In overtime, Canada seemed more fresh, and (had) more opportunities to score goals."

Asked whether it bothered him that his rival with the Pittsburgh Penguins, Sidney Crosby, scored the game-winner, Ovechkin said, "In that moment, it doesn't matter."

He still laments his team's performance in a 7-3 defeat to Canada.

"You know, I think every game against Canada, it's something special for everybody. Unfortunately, we lost, we lost pretty badly," Ovechkin said.

"I don't know what happened at that moment, but you know you can see how they move and how they play -- and we didn't play at all. It was a pretty bad situation for us, and for our country in that moment, but still, life goes on."

That won't take away from his memory of the Games.

"It was an unbelievable atmosphere, a great time for me," Ovechkin said. "I really enjoyed it. Sometimes it was pretty hard to go out in the streets because there were so many fans around the village, but it was good memory for me. It's going to be for all my life."

From The Detroit News: Alex Ovechkin: 'Canada deserved to win' gold | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Ovechkin watches ONLY OT part of the game and says that Canada deserved to win.
So the All Star watched a whole 5 minutes of the game and decided that Canada should win .........

Amazing ....

IF you watched the whole game or at least a good part of the game to see the flow of the game, I could see coming out and saying that Canada should win.

Seeing he only watched 5 minutes, I think his assessment is ridiculous....

Ovechkin watches ONLY OT part of the game and says that Canada deserved to win.
So the All Star watched a whole 5 minutes of the game and decided that Canada should win .........

Amazing ....

IF you watched the whole game or at least a good part of the game to see the flow of the game, I could see coming out and saying that Canada should win.

Seeing he only watched 5 minutes, I think his assessment is ridiculous....
I agree that Ovechkin has no basis for saying that since he didn't bother to watch the game, but his statement was correct IMO. The US was lucky to be in that game. Canada could have easily scored 5 goals and had much better scoring chances throughout. Their defense in the 3rd period was great, until the US pulled the goalie and got a 6th attacker out there. I wish the US had won, but what I really wish is that the first game against Canada had been for the gold.

I agree that Ovechkin has no basis for saying that since he didn't bother to watch the game, but his statement was correct IMO. The US was lucky to be in that game. Canada could have easily scored 5 goals and had much better scoring chances throughout. Their defense in the 3rd period was great, until the US pulled the goalie and got a 6th attacker out there. I wish the US had won, but what I really wish is that the first game against Canada had been for the gold.

Anders,
I agree with the fact that Canada played better in the overall scheme of the game, they played a solid steady game and the US played in spurts, thus as the game went into OT, and before actually, I expected Canada to win the game, but would have been very happy to see it go the other way.

Ovechkins comments seeing he only saw a very small amount of the game is what I commented about.

I agree that Canada played the better overall game.

If he had watched the whole game like most of us, you would see that both teams deserved to win, but only one could win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts