2010 Winter Olympics

I actually saw that this morning. It made me want to get that ice maker's autograph knowing that he's heading to the curling hall of fame. Good grief,I don't even know the names of the people who drive the zamboni in hockey games or who place the chalk lines on baseball or football fields,but a guy who walks backwards spraying water on the curling surface is a superstar?
I couldn't believe it. Those Canadians can be a little funny sometimes. :)

What's the consensus here? Which Olympics do you like better?

The Winter or the Summer?
That's a tough call. I guess I'd give a slight edge to Summer, but I really like watching Hockey and Skiing during the winter (not to mention the Woman's figure skating :D :D :D)

I hope NBC cuts down on the interviews , backgrounds etc on the athletes. A little is good but they drag on and on and on. Show the events .

What's the consensus here? Which Olympics do you like better?

The Winter or the Summer?

I like/dislike them both equally. Figure skating dominates the screen in the winter, and gymnastics dominates in the summer. Both are extremely over-hyped and over-blown.

Sandra

I like/dislike them both equally. Figure skating dominates the screen in the winter, and gymnastics dominates in the summer. Both are extremely over-hyped and over-blown.

Sandra

I know I'm going to catch a lot of heat for saying this, but: The strength exhibited by male gymnasts is pretty amazing.

I like the back stories. It helps you get to know the athletes. Without it, you wouldn't have the same emotional attachment to an anonymous athlete.

I agree with TA, and that's one of my problem with Olympic coverage. They don't treat it as a sporting event, they treat it as a show and manipulate the actual event coverage to match their background strories.

The reason I love sports in the first place is the unpredictability of the outcomes. The Olympics don't make me feel that way.

If you want to take away the anonymity of these once-every-four-year athletes there is mega coverage in Sports Illustrated, USA Today, and tons of places on-line.

Show me the games!!!

Sandra

I agree with TA, and that's one of my problem with Olympic coverage. They don't treat it as a sporting event, they treat it as a show and manipulate the actual event coverage to match their background strories.

The reason I love sports in the first place is the unpredictability of the outcomes. The Olympics don't make me feel that way.

If you want to take away the anonymity of these once-every-four-year athletes there is mega coverage in Sports Illustrated, USA Today, and tons of places on-line.

Show me the games!!!

Sandra

Yes, I love watching the events and watching them in HD is going to be great . But with that being said I have to record them and watch them later. Tons of fluff and tons of commercials. The interviews go on forever . People may forget but they've been criticized for this in the past as well. They need to tighten it up . Way too much time is being spent on back stories and not the real events.

If they're going to give the honor to a hockey player, perhaps Trevor Linden (retired captain of the Vancouver Canuck's) would be a more local choice?
Who knows. Although the the torch bearer usually represents the host country as a whole, not just the host city.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts