2010 Winter Olympics

Anybody else having network difficulties in watching the opening ceremonies? We already had a scroll come across our screen saying that the bad weather is making HD broadcasting impossible & NBC is using a backup satellite. That is when the picture isn't freezing & cutting out. I'm trying to watch on D*,Charter HD,& Charter SD. I've tried everything but OTA antenna(because I don't have one). This is such a major disappointment.

Strong and clear here in Cleveland, OH.

I really doubt padding the poles would have helped. It's still a hard, immovable object even with padding -- just ask any MiLB/MLB'er and they'll say padding doesn't help prevent injury.

What would have helped is netting along the channel edges to keep him in the channel - at least he would have had a chance to live if he just slid along the channel. Maybe there needs to be netting put across the top of the channel to keep lugers and skeletoners and bobsledders inside the channel. Netting set up like NASCAR put up to work on preventing cars and auto parts from flying into the stands. I think it could be done such that it woudn't hinder too much the visibility of the athlete participating.

I think they should cancel luge and other events until they can install netting in key areas. I don't have problems with speed or channel design other than wall height since it's now obvious one could flip outside of the channel and quick fixes need to be taken to avoid another athlete's death during these games.

as for the accident, it was cool footage until one realizes that was his last moments on earth so it turns sad. Just imagine if he was a skeletoner - it might have been instant death with a headfirst slam into the pole.

I agree completely. Some like the netting they ave behind home plate at ball games. I want the speed, but the safety IS the most important thing.

Anybody else having network difficulties in watching the opening ceremonies? We already had a scroll come across our screen saying that the bad weather is making HD broadcasting impossible & NBC is using a backup satellite. That is when the picture isn't freezing & cutting out. I'm trying to watch on D*,Charter HD,& Charter SD. I've tried everything but OTA antenna(because I don't have one). This is such a major disappointment.

yes! im in st louis , while the pq was fine the audio from costas, ect you could not hear.

As far as the opening ceremonies goes, any Canadian event that does not have the best Canadian group of all time perform, Rush, is not worthy of watching.

I've been watching a lot of the games and for the most part have enjoyed it. But something seems to be missing this year...can't quite put my finger on it though. Anybody else feel this?

Maybe when the hockey gets going it'll seem more exciting.

I've been watching a lot of the games and for the most part have enjoyed it. But something seems to be missing this year...can't quite put my finger on it though. Anybody else feel this?

Maybe when the hockey gets going it'll seem more exciting.

I feel the same thing. I personally think that it is because many of the skiing events have been pushed back due to the weather. Without having all of those events taking place it makes the broadcast lack just a little.

As far as the opening ceremonies goes, any Canadian event that does not have the best Canadian group of all time perform, Rush, is not worthy of watching.

Don't minimize Rush by just calling them the best CANADIAN group of all time. ;)

Rush was supposed to perform, but they pulled out the entire "metropolitan Canada" segment of the show. Reports were that the producers pulled the segment, which was too upbeat, in light of the tragedy on Friday. But that is just from the blogosphere. Still, disappointing. Hopefully they will play at the Closing Ceremonies.

K D Lang was huge...literally! She looks like she's slowly transforming into Wayne Newton (with a touch of Robin Williams). ;):D

Sings great though. :)

Did anyone catch Bob Costa's comments after the Canadian kid won the men's moguls last night?

For the context: NBC had someone interview Belidou, and when the interview was over, his girlfriend practically mauled him.

The camera goes back to the studio and Costas, in complete deadpan says:

"Based on the scene with Belidou immediately following that interview, this is going to be a very good Valentines Day for him all the way around." :D

OMG,Westminster Dog Show is on tonight. What to watch,WHAT TO WATCH??????? Of course,having a DVR to record either the Olympics or the dog show takes the fun out of agonizing over which show to watch.
Also,tomorrow starts men's hockey AND CURLING,so for those who say the Olympics is missing something,Tuesday looks pretty good.

OMG,Westminster Dog Show is on tonight. What to watch,WHAT TO WATCH??????? Of course,having a DVR to record either the Olympics or the dog show takes the fun out of agonizing over which show to watch.
Also,tomorrow starts men's hockey AND CURLING,so for those who say the Olympics is missing something,Tuesday looks pretty good.

How sappy has NBC's Olympic coverage been so far?

John Ourand of SBD explores NBC's decision to air and then to stop airing the luge video.

USA Today's Michael Hiestand says NBC is on a very wild ride early on in the Olympics.

Chris Zelkovich of the Toronto Star shares his thoughts on Canada's Olympic Broadcasting Consortium's performance through 3 days of competition.

Chris talks about how CTV handled Alexandre Bilodeau's historic gold medal for Canada.

But Chris feels the Consortium is cheating viewers.

William Houston at Truth & Rumours feels CTV got the job done on Sunday.

Is NBC going too far with integrated advertising?

Anybody watching the Olympics tonight needs to tune into the men's curling match between the USA & Norway. Norway's argyle pants are the only reason for doing so. It takes real "stones(no pun intended)" to wear those Harlequin pants.

Who needs figure-skating; curling is where it is at. Put me in a pleasant catatonic state this afternoon, even though the US women lost to the Japanese. :)

NBC is redeeming itself with fantastic Winter Olympic coverage
At least Tom Shales seems to think so, anyway. He writes: "The poor old network with all the bruises and bandages from months and months of battering is enjoying a fine, high-flying triumph with its HD telecasts of the Winter Olympics from Vancouver. It's the greatest show on snow. And the television version has been so satisfying — visually, emotionally, aesthetically — that, for the moment, the national pall imposed by the recession, and by the generally shabby state of public affairs, seems to have lifted." PLUS: Night 4 of Olympics gets big ratings.

NBC's Olympic coverage has been horrible
"Hate's not too strong a word," says Spencer Hall. "I hate watching sports on NBC anyway, but watching Dick Ebersol broadcast the games from 1988 has been doubly infuriating because a.) this only comes around every four years, and b.) because NBC, a purveyor of crapheap products anyway, has doubled up on ineptitude and put on a clinic in how NOT to cover sports in the 21st century by making the Games inaccessible, tape-delayed, and produced on a budget of at least three dollars a broadcast minute."

OMG,Westminster Dog Show is on tonight. What to watch,WHAT TO WATCH??????

no brainer!

Monday, I watched the dog show and then caught the Primetime coverage in the overnight replay. I"m still trying to figure out what hour is missing from the replay since Primetime the other night was 4 hours and the replay 3 hours. I"m guessing a few fewer ads and probably cutting out the pairs skaters that had no chance to medal. Tuesday I"m doing the same thing.

As for late night after the news, pretty much a wasted hour. Not much sporting, a lot of BS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts