2010 Winter Olympics

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
We're getting close so I figured I'd start a thread. I love the Olympics, so I'm pretty pumped.

Real Sports on HBO last night did a story on Curling and featured the US Olympic curling team - - - VERY funny. :) Check it out on a repeat. It actually made me want to watch them play a match or two.

Did they feature the men's or women's curling team? Also,irony is the Northeast going through "Snowmageddon" & Vancouver having to truck in snow due to unseasonably warm & snow free weather.

Did they feature the men's or women's curling team? Also,irony is the Northeast going through "Snowmageddon" & Vancouver having to truck in snow due to unseasonably warm & snow free weather.

It featured the men's curling team. I wonder if the snow is going to be a problem. We're in a strong el nino and that leads to warm temperatures in the Pac NW.

The only things that interest me are the hockey and the extreme sports. I don't follow skiing, figure skating, speed skating, etc. for the four years in between Olympics, so it's difficult to all of a sudden start caring about them.

And while I'll watch the hockey, the most important thing I'll be worrying about is that the Rangers who are spread out among the different teams do not get hurt. I hope Sweden (the defending Gold medalists) and Slovakia do not make it to the medal round, so Lundqvist and Gaborik get a little rest before returning to what really matters...the NHL wars.

Sandra

I like the Skiing, Bobsled, Luge, Skeleton, Speed Skating, Hockey, and Snowboarding

Am I the only one here willing to admit to watching Woman's figure skating?!?! I KNOW there's more of you out there. Speak up. :)

Am I the only one here willing to admit to watching Woman's figure skating?!?! I KNOW there's more of you out there. Speak up. :)
Only if there's someone hot who's not 14. And men's figure skating is the dumbest thing this side of synchronized swimming. Play hockey or stay off the ice.

It is a bit of an understatement to say that I am an Olympic junkie. Friday ( the night of the opening ceremony) marks the 30th anniversary of the day I first sat down in front of the TV to watch the Games. I was 11 then and the US-Sweden hockey game was on ABC. Hockey on TV back then was a rare treat so I sat back and enjoyed it. Then came the next day which was the opening ceremony and two of my avid interest--sports and geography--collided to create a love affair that exists to this very day. I knew I was onto something when neither of my parents knew were Andorra was and I had to enlighten them, a great feeling for a sixth-grader.

Anyhow, three decades of Olympic viewing has created a kaleidoscope of memories that warm my heart in the coldest of times, with more to be added in the next two weeks.

I watch all the sports, read all the results, and try to give each athlete the recognition they so richly deserve. Many toil in oblivion for years aiming for this moment and when the Games are over they will return to where they came from as the sports world starts to think of March Madness and Spring Training. This is truly their fifteen minutes in the spotlight.

Let the Games begin and let the Games be great.

I wondered about what happened to Kimmie Meissner & then found out she's been injured,which is too bad. That's about the only American female figure skater I knew about from the 2006 Winter Olympics who I thought had a chance for a medal this year.

Wow, imagine if MLB testing was this stringent:

More than 30 athletes have been barred from competing in the Vancouver Olympics after failing pre-Games testing, the director general of the World Anti-Doping Agency, David Howman, told The New York Times on Wednesday.

"It's a bit like before Beijing, when 70 athletes didn't go to the Games because they had tested positive beforehand," Howman told The Times. "The pre-Games testing is pretty intensive. We can say it was effective because there are some athletes who didn't come."

More than 30 athletes barred from Vancouver Olympics after failed tests - ESPN

Real Sports on HBO last night did a story on Curling and featured the US Olympic curling team - - - VERY funny. :) Check it out on a repeat. It actually made me want to watch them play a match or two.

I actually saw that this morning. It made me want to get that ice maker's autograph knowing that he's heading to the curling hall of fame. Good grief,I don't even know the names of the people who drive the zamboni in hockey games or who place the chalk lines on baseball or football fields,but a guy who walks backwards spraying water on the curling surface is a superstar?