2011-12 MLB Hot Stove

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
During the news conference to introduce Ben Cherington as the new Red Sox GM, it was announced that John Lackey will undergo Tommy John surgery and will miss the entire 2012 season.

To be fair to Lackey and Epstein, there was an article on ESPN.com ranking the ten worst first year values ever of players who got big, long term contracts, and while Crawford ran away with first place (or, if you prefer, last place), the economic value of Lackey's first year was $16 million dollars, which is what he got paid. I cannot knock the Red Sox for contracting to give Lackey $16 million a year for five years because that's what a pitcher like him costs, when he pitches like a pitcher like him.

Now I see that there are sentiments to move Bard to starter. I hadn't heard that before, but if a front line closer is available, and if Buckholz comes back, and if Crawford hits 3/4s of what he is paid to hit, and if Lavernway is what he appears to be, and if they buy a right handed hitter for two years for $5 million to get them some production out of right field, then this team could blow the league away in April just as decisively as they stunk it up last April, without having to find the next $20 million a year player to add to their roster and payroll. I think most general managers would like to begin their 2012 season with Lester and Beckett pitching #1 and #2.

Last edited:
Here is the ESPN.com ranking of the first year performances of blockbuster contracts. Adam Dunn accrued a bigger first year loss, but he contract did not qualify for inclusion.
Code:
Player/   First year  salary   value   net +/-    
Carl Crawford  (2011) $20.3M   $0.9M  -$19.4M
Barry Zito     (2007) $18.0M   $6.9M  -$11.1M
Jason Bay      (2010) $16.5M   $6.0M  -$10.5M
Carlos Beltran (2006) $17.0M   $9.1M   -$7.9M
Derek Jeter    (2011) $17.0M  $10.3M   -$6.7M
Jayson Werth   (2011) $18.0M  $11.4M   -$6.6M
Torii Hunter   (2008) $18.0M  $11.7M   -$6.3M
Derek Lowe     (2009) $15.0M  $11.8M   -$3.2M
Carlos Lee     (2007) $16.7M  $13.9M   -$2.8M
A.J. Burnett   (2009) $16.5M  $15.9M   -$0.6M
John Lackey    (2010) $16.5M  $16.4M   -$0.1M

To be fair to Lackey and Epstein, there was an article on ESPN.com ranking the ten worst first year values ever of players who got big, long term contracts, and while Crawford ran away with first place (or, if you prefer, last place), the economic value of Lackey's first year was $16 million dollars, which is what he got paid. I cannot knock the Red Sox for contracting to give Lackey $16 million a year for five years because that's what a pitcher like him costs, when he pitches like a pitcher like him.

Now I see that there are sentiments to move Bard to starter. I hadn't heard that before, but if a front line closer is available, and if Buckholz comes back, and if Crawford hits 3/4s of what he is paid to hit, and if Lavernway is what he appears to be, and if they buy a right handed hitter for two years for $5 million to get them some production out of right field, then this team could blow the league away in April just as decisively as they stunk it up last April, without having to find the next $20 million a year player to add to their roster and payroll. I think most general managers would like to begin their 2012 season with Lester and Beckett pitching #1 and #2.

Awful lot of IF's in that statement ....

That said, I would be willing to bet that you'll see the Crawford of old, next year, back to being a very good player, unlike the one we saw this year.

I saw some of the free agents that are available. John Garland, CJ Wilson and a couple of others are available. I know its wishful thinking but what if the Mets take a flyer on Oswalt and sign Garland or Wilson or both. I think they will come on the cheap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)