2011 British Open (aka "The Open Championship")

Lookout folks! Rory McIlroy just birdied two consecutive holes in a row with 4 more holes to go for today! He's -2 for the day.

With the cut projected to be +3, pretty much everyone is still in competition since the leaders are only at -4. The next couple days should be very interesting! Anyway, McIlroy game was back and is a Even Par; Mickelson has played well and finished tied for 15th place at -1; Bubba and Tom Watson (the brothers of other mothers) are at +1 and +2; Lucus Glover, Chad Campbell, Davis Love III and Tom Lehman on the leaderboard; Justin Leonard, Nick Watney, John Daly and probably Lee Westwood hacked around the course and are going to miss the cut.

Why the hell is Germany's Martin Kaymer tied for 3rd...yet he can't crack the Top 30 in any U.S. Tournaments? Go figure!

Lookout folks! Rory McIlroy just birdied two consecutive holes in a row with 4 more holes to go for today! He's -2 for the day.

He gave one back and is at Even Par...although still very much in the tournament. I would love to see him win the Open if Phil Mickelson doesn't. Then everyone will be talking about Rory and his possibly going for a Grand Slam if he didn't falter at the Masters in April. They'll forget all about Tiger Sheen...or was it Charlie Woods? Regardless, it should be a great weekend of golfing action.

Last edited:
I met my daughter for breakfast earlier this morning, but I am now spending it waiting for my vehicle while break pads are being installed. Anyway, I'm thinking that I'll just turn on the Brittish Open while in the waiting room. So I reach for the DirecTV remote and switch to ESPN only to discover---you guessed it---the "You are not subscribed to this channel" message pops-up on the screen. Ugh! I thought of following the scores on PGA.com but I will just wait until my vehicle is ready. Double Ugh!

I cannot tell you how much I love British Open simply because the game is played in the morning (our time). :)

I get the feeling there will be only one of two players to score under par today. We shall see.

Wow! Some really horrible playing conditions this morning...wind, rain, cold, etc. Regardless, Tom Watson is the only player on the course so far that is under-par. Amazing!

Huge change in weather. You have to wonder how things would have turned out if everybody ad to play in that wind and rain from earlier.

Rumors of the next prodigy have been greatly exaggerated. Before the media and the fans put all this pressure on this very good, VERY YOUNG kid....let's get SOME WINS under his belt 1st.

Tomorrow should be a classic finish with a lot of players within 5-stokes of the lead. To be honest, I don't know learn to play a course like it was today...most tournaments are usally postponed until the weather improvies, but not here. Also, the American's are doing well. Here is the Third Round Leaderboard:

Darren Clarke -5
Dustin Johnson -4
Rickie Fowler -2
Thomas Bjorn -2
Lucus Glover -1
Miguel Jimenez -1
Phil Mickelson E
Davis Love III E
Martin Kaymer E
George Coetzee E
Anders Hansen E
Anthony Kim E
Chad Campbell +1
Tom Lehman +1
Ryan Palmer +1
Zach Johnson +1

Offhand, you gotta like the way Darren Clarke has been playing; solid from tee to green. However, Johnson and Fowler are hot on his heels. On the outside Phil has a small opportunity, but he will have to play solid from holes 1 through 18 tomorrow.

Rumors of the next prodigy have been greatly exaggerated. Before the media and the fans put all this pressure on this very good, VERY YOUNG kid....let's get SOME WINS under his belt 1st.

I agree. But the media and fans have jumped on the Rory locomotive because the Tiger train failed to show at the station...it's been derailed since November 2009 after being beaten with a 9-iron.

I agree. But the media and fans have jumped on the Rory locomotive because the Tiger train failed to show at the station...it's been derailed since November 2009 after being beaten with a 9-iron.

Derailed yes....failed no. NO ONE has step up with consistency since Tiger. Luke, Lee, Martin, Rory and Steve have had very inconsistent games where whomever is #1, it's by default because the previous one has stunk up the place. I don't even include Phil because he has only been in the top ten by default due to the same reasons the top 5 cannot play well consistently.

At the moment, it's the 'who is hot this week club'. There is no dominant player...which to me, is boring. With Tiger, you had someone to root for or hate.

IF anyone has failed, it's the PGA top ten.

Derailed yes....failed no. NO ONE has step up with consistency since Tiger. Luke, Lee, Martin, Rory and Steve have had very inconsistent games where whomever is #1, it's by default because the previous one has stunk up the place. I don't even include Phil because he has only been in the top ten by default due to the same reasons the top 5 cannot play well consistently.

At the moment, it's the 'who is hot this week club'. There is no dominant player...which to me, is boring. With Tiger, you had someone to root for or hate.

IF anyone has failed, it's the PGA top ten.

Enough of the Team Tiger man love...he will dump you for a Cocktail waitress with big lips and a bigger butt in a heartbeat. :D

Speaking of man love, I find myself cheering for Miguel Jimenez...just because I love saying his name. :D

Back on topic, after looking at the leaderboard I am now favoring Dustin Johnson to win the Open Championship - he is due. Of course, in the back of my mind I am wondering how Dustin is going to blow his opportunity tomorrow. We shall see.

Enough of the Team Tiger man love...he will dump you for a Cocktail waitress with big lips and a bigger butt in a heartbeat. :D

Speaking of man love, I find myself cheering for Miguel Jimenez...just because I love saying his name. :D

Back on topic, after looking at the leaderboard I am now favoring Dustin Johnson to win the Open Championship - he is due. Of course, in the back of my mind I am wondering how Dustin is going to blow his opportunity tomorrow. We shall see.

No man love in this rant. It's a testimony to the current PGA.

Nice to see Phil birdie #1. Lots of pressure on the the Clarke-Johnson group.

Clarke -5 thru 1
Johnson -4 thru 1
Bjorn -2 thru 1
Fowler -2 thru 1
Kim -1 thru 3
Mickelson -1 thru 3
Glover -1 thru 2
Jimenez -1 thru 2

Phil Mickelson sunk a 15 footer on hole 4 and is now tied for 3rd place at -2. Clarke suck a clutch 11-foot putt to save par on hole 1 - he doesn't look like someone who is going to let the wheels come off; Johnson missed a golden opportunity for birdie on #1. Great stuff...

Last edited:
Ugh! Clarke has made two tricky putts to save par while Johnson has missed two 6-footers for bogie. Clarke could run-away with this if he continues his tee-to-green game. Mickelson caught a bad break on #5 after a good drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)