2011 MLB Playoffs

1. Lackey: no way!! He was disaster waiting to happen

2. Crawford: I was excited to get him, but like many others have said, the Sox wayyyyy overpaid for him.

3. Gonzalez: this is the difficult one. Adrian is one of the best hitters in the game, BUT after they re-signed him to that mega-contract, I realized they could have kept Beltre AND added another pitcher for about the same money.

I STILL would have made the A-Gon trade, but with Youkilis' recent hip woes, it makes you wonder if keeping him at first (and keeping Beltre at third) would have been better for the team in the long run.

The ironic thing is that there has been talk that when Jose Reyes is a free agent after this year, he wants Carl Crawford money. Makes you think if he wants to take that back now considering the year Crawford has had.

TBS has announced their announcers for the four division series:

Brian Anderson/Ron Darling/John Smoltz (this trio will also call the NLCS)
Dick Stockton/Bob Brenly
Don Orsillo/Buck Martinez
Victor Rojas/Joe Simpson.

Thoughts go out to Ernie Johnson, who will miss the LDS and NLCS due to his son being hospitalized.

Don Orsillo and Buck Martinez have to be the biggest snooze fest of all the announcing teams.

No wonder the Sox fans pack Fenway to watch the game, because watching them on NESN is a cure for insomnia. Don Orsillo has to be the most untheatrical and non emotional announcer I have ever heard. Every time I watch a game and listen to him I keep saying to myself, "Bueller...Bueller."

MLB officially announced the start times for Friday's two ALDS games........

5:00pm ET- Wildcard winner at Texas/Detroit

8:30pm ET- Detroit/Texas at New York

MLB officially announced the start times for Friday's two ALDS games........

5:00pm ET- Wildcard winner at Texas/Detroit

8:30pm ET- Detroit/Texas at New York

Well, that was a NO Brainer, we could have GUESSED that ....
Of Course the yankees would be in PRIME TIME and the other game would be prior to that.

Couple of things. Bill, this is it. Tonight, its all on the line for the Red Sox, in a game they must win. Also, dont you find it odd that the season ends today? Since when does it end on a weekday? I have heard that it will go back to ending on Sunday next year.
Btw, what happened to starting the playoffs early. What I mean is that remember only a few years ago, TBS started the ALDS, NLDS etc. early, like at 4:07 pm. I dont think they are doing that this year.

Well, with the Yankees resting all their starters it looks like the Red Sox will have to take matters in their own hands this evening...and the Orioles are playing their best ball of the season. It's too bad I won't get to see either game tonight.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

1. Lackey: no way!! He was disaster waiting to happen
Lackey had a solid pedigree and history that justified his contract: 30 years old, half a dozen solid seasons of 200+ innings, ERA in the mid 3's, plus 30 wins, physically intact. That's what such a pitcher sells for. Nothing in his history foreshadowed his declining into a pitcher with an ERA of over 6.00.
2. Crawford: I was excited to get him, but like many others have said, the Sox wayyyyy overpaid for him.
Like with Jason Werth, two teams, Boston and Washington, believed it was to their benefit to buy a $20 million a year player, but since none were available, they gave $20 million a year contracts to the two best players available, who were not that good.

Making matters worse, lots of people analyzed hitting charts and determined that Crawford consistently hit balls in the directions which have the most distant fences in Fenway Park. I expected his production to be down maybe 20% due to the ballpark, so while I thought it was nuts to sign him for $20 milion a year, I did not expect the disaster he has been.

3. Gonzalez: this is the difficult one. Adrian is one of the best hitters in the game, BUT after they re-signed him to that mega-contract, I realized they could have kept Beltre AND added another pitcher for about the same money.

Check this matter three or four years from now. I expect Gonzalez to significantly ourperform Beltre over the next three or four years.

Disclaimer: I thought Adam Dunn was the steal of the crop last year.

On the other hand, I thought the JD Drew signing was nuts. Basically, they agreed to pay what they hoped he would be worth, not what he had proven himself to be worth.

Last edited:
Personally I would like to see the Red Sox and Cardinals make the playoffs, because they are two of the best baseball cities on the continent.

Sandra

Personally I would like to see the Red Sox and Cardinals make the playoffs, because they are two of the best baseball cities on the continent.

Sandra

Why would you say that Sandra? :confused:

I mean didn't ya hear? Some think that it would be "good for baseball" if the playoffs were played in a half empty sardine can witnessed by apathetic fans. ;)

SandraC said:

Sandra

Red Sox don't deserve it because of Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using SatelliteGuys

BillD1984 said:
Why would you say that Sandra? :confused:

I mean didn't ya hear? Some think that it would be "good for baseball" if the playoffs were played in a half empty sardine can witnessed by apathetic fans. ;)

Little unfair to the players, don't ya think?

Lackey had a solid pedigree and history that justified his contract: 30 years old, half a dozen solid seasons of 200+ innings, ERA in the mid 3's, plus 30 wins, physically intact. That's what such a pitcher sells for. Nothing in his history foreshadowed his declining into a pitcher with an ERA of over 6.00.
Like with Jason Werth, two teams, Boston and Washington, believed it was to their benefit to buy a $20 million a year player, but since none were available, they gave $20 million a year contracts to the two best players available, who were not that good.

Making matters worse, lots of people analyzed hitting charts and determined that Crawford consistently hit balls in the directions which have the most distant fences in Fenway Park. I expected his production to be down maybe 20% due to the ballpark, so while I thought it was nuts to sign him for $20 milion a year, I did not expect the disaster he has been.

Check this matter three or four years from now. I expect Gonzalez to significantly ourperform Beltre over the next three or four years.

Disclaimer: I thought Adam Dunn was the steal of the crop last year.

On the other hand, I thought the JD Drew signing was nuts. Basically, they agreed to pay what they hoped he would be worth, not what he had proven himself to be worth.

I think Lackey will be back to his old self next year and Crawford as well.
Gonzalas is very steady, you can pretty much know what he's going to do.

The Red Sox will be back and better next year.

The REAL steals of the year happened in Detroit, where they picked up Victor Martinez and Doug Fister .

IF Fister pitches ANYWHERE like he is this year,next, they will be THRILLED !

We now have three of the four series set:

Tigers vs. Yankees
Cardinals vs. Phillies
Diamondbacks vs. Brewers

The Rangers await either the Rays or Red Sox.

I'll go on record right now. The Phillies are a dangerous team. Howard, Utley, Pence. With Oswalt, Lee, Holliday and Hamels. Thats pretty impressive.

I'll go on record right now. The Phillies are a dangerous team. Howard, Utley, Pence. With Oswalt, Lee, Holliday and Hamels. Thats pretty impressive.

The Phillies may actually rue the day that they helped the Cardinals get in the playoffs. I believe the Cards were the only NL team with a winning record against Philly.

Sooo anywho, it's onward and upward to the 2011 MLB Playoffs. Good luck to all the participants. :)

Friday:

Game 1- Rays (Shields or Niemann) at Rangers (Wilson)- 5:07pm ET (TBS)
Game 1- Tigers (Verlander) at Yankees (Sabathia)- 8:37pm ET (TBS)

TNT will get at least one game. Any time four games are set to air, they will get at least one due to basically no west coast teams are in the playoffs.
If Texas beats out the Tigers for the #2 seed, I can see the start times being 6:00 and 9:30.

The next day (Saturday) will be the most interesting. I read somewhere that TBS wants to televise all four games in a row (if a game runs over the allotted 3.5 hour window, the next game would start on TNT).

That Saturday could look something like this:
NLDS- @ Philly-12:30pm ET
ALDS- @ Detroit- 4:00pm ET
ALDS- @ NYY- 7:30pm ET
NLDS- @ Arizona- 11:00pm ET

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)