2011 MLB Playoffs

Never said to play shallow ....
I would have played them Normal depth ....
Had they played Normal depth, they could have gotten tol the ball at the wall, as well as to the short fly ball that essentially killed them.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

There is no "normal depth" when it comes to playing CF. The CF is the so called "field general" of the OF. The fastest and usually the best athlete. He either plays shallow(as compared to the other OF) or deep. Playing deep OF and playing on the lines in the late innings is the same as football's version of "prevent defense".

Your trying to prevent the extra base hit and putting a runner in scoring position with 1 batter.

Playing baseball all my life and coaching the last 20 years....you NEVER want a ball hit OVER your head late in the game and have a guy in scoring position on one hit. He plays shallow, ball hit over his head and not only do the tie runs score but the winning run is then put into score position as well. You have "knocked 2 birds with one stone".

The right fielder was in position to make the catch. Watching the replays, it almost looks as if he misjudged the ball and slowed down. In a game filled with fielding errors, it was only fitting that this happened in the 9th inning with 2 outs to allow the Cards back in it.

Well, I guess the "home field doesn't matter in baseball" camp can be hushed now. With a series between two offensive Juggernauts, the last at-bat IS critical. #Sandra

Well, I guess the "home field doesn't matter in baseball" camp can be hushed now. With a series between two offensive Juggernauts, the last at-bat IS critical. #Sandra

It does not matter because if the pitcher can get the outs... then home field advantage means nothing. Yeah as the home team you LOVE the roar of the crowd, but both teams get 9 innings to score.

Last night, if the game was in Texas, as you stating they would have won if the situations were the same? No one can guarentee that. St. Louis out hit Texas, simple as that.

It does not matter because if the pitcher can get the outs... then home field advantage means nothing. Yeah as the home team you LOVE the roar of the crowd, but both teams get 9 innings to score.

Last night, if the game was in Texas, as you stating they would have won if the situations were the same? No one can guarentee that. St. Louis out hit Texas, simple as that.

If you give me a choice, I'll take last at bats every time.

I know anything can happen, but it's hard for me to imagine how Texas rebounds from this loss. Especially after they sleep on it and realize that they were just ONE strike away from winning the World Series. That's got to be weighing on them mentally.

The home team winning percentage in extra innings is .531.

Home team winning percentage in regulation is .540

The home team scores about 0.3 runs more per game than the visiting team and has an ERA difference of about the same as the difference in runs score

Last edited:
The home team winning percentage in extra innings is .531.

Home team winning percentage in regulation is .540

The home team scores about 0.3 runs more per game than the visiting team and has an ERA difference of about the same

Well there you go. Home field DOES matter. Anything more than .500 is a factor. I'll take that advantage anytime! Not sure why some write it off as if it's not important.

I know anything can happen, but it's hard for me to imagine how Texas rebounds from this loss. Especially after they sleep on it and realize that they were just ONE strike away from winning the World Series. That's got to be weighing on them mentally.

There is no doubt this MIGHT linger. Only way to have it NOT linger is win tonight. The had one of the most potent offenses in MLB...1st in team hitting .283 and 3rd in runs... and they are bunting liked they are scared to score. With all this bunting going on with a team hitting .283 collectively, Earl Weaver is rolling in his grave!

Well there you go. Home field DOES matter. Anything more than .500 is a factor. I'll take that advantage anytime! Not sure why some write it off as if it's not important.

Well, since I was mentioned (so nice to be loved!), let's remember what I actually said about home field. I never said home field does not matter. I said it's not the same advantage as it is in other sports. That is all!

Sandra

Home team winning percentage over a 10 year period

http://www.terry.uga.edu/~gtrandel/papers/homeadv1.pdf

Advantages in order: NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB
WP Sports.PNG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts