2011 MLB Playoffs

I look at this series as paralleling that of the 1975 WS. Red Sox had a walk off HR (the infamous Fisk HR) in extra innings after a good comeback with Carbo hitting a 3 run HR in the 8th to tie (His HR was more dramatic that Fisk's HR, IMO). Even after that heartbreaking loss by the Reds, they still went on to win game 7 on the road

Since 1979, only three road teams have won a championship deciding game in MLB, NHL and NBA. Coincidentally, all three teams colors are black and gold (1979 Pittsburgh Pirates, 2008 Pittsburgh Penguins and 2011 Boston Bruins). Maybe the Rangers can switch to black and gold for tonight's game. :D

From purely a neutral standpoint, last night was the greatest game I've ever seen.....in ANY sport!!
As far as tonight goes, whoever wins is OK with me. I'd love to see the Rangers win their first ever title. But at the same time, how could anyone root against this gutsy and resilient Cardinals team?!

Carbo hitting a 3 run HR in the 8th to tie (His HR was more dramatic that Fisk's HR, IMO).

No question, I've been arguing this for almost 40 years!! You always see Fisk's famous waving the ball fair,but you never see Carbo's PH 3 run HR to tie it in the bottom of the 8th.

In fact, I personally rate Fisk's HR as the third most important play of that game. Dwight Evans saving catch in deep RF off Joe Morgan in the 11th inning (a catch Sparky Anderson called "the greatest catch I've ever seen"), IMO rates second behind Carbo's HR.

Another (in)famous WS Game 6 was the controversial Cardinals/Royals/Don Denkinger screw job in 1985. So now both the Cardinals (1985, last night) and Red Sox (1975, 1986) have been on both sides of (in)famous game 6 of the World Series..............the Red Sox lost BOTH of their game 7's, and the Cards got blown out (and Joaquin Andujar blew a gasket) in 1985 game 7.

Last edited:
No question, I've been arguing this for almost 40 years!! You always see Fisk's famous waving the ball fair,but you never see Carbo's PH 3 run HR to tie it in the bottom of the 8th.

In fact, I personally rate Fisk's HR as the third most important play of that game. Dwight Evans saving catch in deep RF off Joe Morgan in the 11th inning (a catch Sparky Anderson called "the greatest catch I've ever seen"), IMO rates second behind Carbo's HR.

Another (in)famous WS Game 6 was the controversial Cardinals/Royals/Don Denkinger screw job in 1985. So now both the Cardinals (1985, last night) and Red Sox (1975, 1986) have been on both sides of (in)famous game 6 of the World Series..............the Red Sox lost BOTH of their game 7's, and the Cards got blown out (and Joaquin Andujar blew a gasket) in 1985 game 7.
Bill trying to send you a pm but your inbox is full buddy

Jimbo said:
Are you SERIOUS ?

It might go down as the most dramatic ending, but BEST GAME ?
There were what 5 errors.
No Pitching ...
12 WALKS ...

Doesn't have to be pretty to be good. That was, to me, one of the best games I have ever seen.

On a somewhat cold night in St. Louis, a 2-run double for Mr. FREEZE.

Already tied at 2, bottom of the 2nd, may we see again what happened last night as far as going to the bullpen early, the extra innings and the power hitting?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)