2011 newbie C band setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
New England
I am looking into C band this year. I just got a 39" motorized setup with the quad lnb but I want C band. I have seen some C band adapters for the dishes like mine but I want something that will work well. I have seen a lot of 8-16 foot dishes that folks on here talk about but was mainly wondering what will be satisfactory for all of the satellites that have a beam in NH. I have seen a bunch of 6 foot dishes on ebay but I haven't found anything larger for sale really. I am also worried that C band is going away because I read some stuff going on with 4dtv this year. I don't want to waste money on a receiver that is going to quit working if I don't program it right. Is there a substantial amount of C band that is FTA? I mainly want network stations like on cable (usa, tnt, etc.) and local stations in as many cities as possible. What is a good C band receiver for a beginner?

I'd bet being that far north you're gonna need a 10 footer at a minimum. A good source for those is a ride out in the country side looking around houses to see what's there that someone might want moved. I've gotten 4 that way in the last 8 months and those people were more than glad to give them to me just to get them off their property.

If you can find a freebie then next would be a DMX-741 LNBF (which will fit inside a Chapparal scaler ring) and so both C and Ku. So what kind of receiver are you using with your 39"er? Most likely that one will work with the Cband setup if you use Diseq switches to control which dish you want to get a signal from.

I have a Sonicview 8000HD. I personally don't care for the menus but I haven't got the motor dialed in yet. It seems kind of buggy. I want a better receiver for C band. What section of the profile can I write what type of equipment I am using like everyone else?

It's called "Signature" in your profile and exactly where it is doesn't come to mind right now. Go looking for it and I'm sure you'll find it.

Since you're already in the FTA hobby I'll suggest an AZBox Ultra HD Satellite Receiver and they can be had on fleabay for $259 plus the ride @ $20. I ordered one the other day and am looking for it around Tuesday since it shipped from Miami, Fla. Friday.

Some will tell you that the AZ is hard to use but I haven't had that much of a problem with mine (already have an AZBox Elite) in the 2 years I've had it.

If money is a problem then I'd suggest an Openbox s9 which is about half the cost of the AZ and is well thought of by most on here. It just doesn't have as many features as the AZ and won't do 4.2.2 video.

Check in the "Settings" menu which you can access from the upper right corner next to My Profile.

Last edited:
I mainly want network stations like on cable (usa, tnt, etc.) and local stations in as many cities as possible.
Sorry, not available via FTA. I suggest looking at The List to see what is available. Although a 39' dish is good for Ku, C band generally requires a minimum of a 6 ft dish for respectable results. Larger is better ! Anything smaller is am experiment. to see what you can get on it.

C band generally requires a minimum of a 6 ft dish for respectable results. Larger is better ! Anything smaller is am experiment. to see what you can get on it.

This is as much for my own knowledge as help for the OP but doesn't the fact that he's way up north in New Hampshire dictate a much larger minimum size?

North, south, east or west doesn't really matter. What really matters is the footprint the sat places on the ground, and where in the footprint you are. I stated: 6 ft Minimum and Larger IS better. 6ft will get less than a 10ft, but greatly more than anything smaller. A 6ft may be more susceptible to adjacent sat interference. And don't expect to get every signal out there with a 6 foot. The same can be said for a 10 ft. It all depends where you are in the footprint.
rrob311, take a few trips around the countryside, and keep an eye open for dish's that may be had for nothin'. Should be able to score a 8 or 10, or maybe a 12 ft'r before long. They are getting harder to come by, but they are still about.

Im going to have to call the town and see if there is any restrictions. What is a good all around C band receiver and Will I have to pour concrete for an 8-10' dish?

What is a good all around C band receiver and Will I have to pour concrete for an 8-10' dish?
A good C band receiver is also a good receiver for Ku. And vice versa. You will have to pour concrete around the pole to anchor it. and the length of pole in the ground is determined by your soil type. Usually a ball of cement at the bottom and a pad at the surface suffices.
Is there a substantial amount of C band that is FTA?
Yes, a lot uses 8psk modulation. More and more are going that route as they can get more on a transponder. This would require a receiver capable of DVB-S2. Check The List (link on top of page) or LyngSat - Lyngemark Satellite to see what requires a DVB-S (qpsk modulation) or a DVB-S2 receiver. The Azbox receivers are DVB-S2 HD, plus they decode 4.2.2 streams. It's the only receiver that does, at this time. There are many threads discussing the SSO (see sig), and the Azbox models.

Im going to have to call the town and see if there is any restrictions. What is a good all around C band receiver and Will I have to pour concrete for an 8-10' dish?

I wouldnt broadcast to the town unless its going to be right in front by the road that all can see.My town has a 1 meter limit in residentual areas so i placed it in the back of the house and never called the town.I would say that the two best choices for a receiver would be a openbox or a AZbox ultra.Concete yes if mounted in the ground! I have mine mounted on a deck.

Stanleyjohn,
I am thinking of mounting my 6' WSI specials to my deck. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

Here is my current idea:
My uprights are 6x6's and I was thinking of some unistrut clamps with some beefy L-brackets made from 1" square stock with gusseting at the junction. Some pipe clamps to hold the fence post, and the polar mount on the fence post. I have this idea as all the parts are from my "junk" pile and no cost but the nuts and bolts.

I woulld definitely put 2-3 long lag bolts directly through the fence post and into the 6x6 uprights in addition to the clamps.
Wind load can spin any dish that doesn't have a firmly fixed anchor point . Thats why you flare or bolt through the bottom of a post
in cement. Once the post starts spinning it moves easier and easier.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)