2011 SEC Football (Home of 7 of 13 BCS Championships including the last 5)

SandraC said:
If Arkansas beats LSU, the same can be said for all three teams.

Sandra

I don't know, I'm just saying what they said on mike and mike this morning.

Sent from my Galaxy using SatelliteGuys

You SEC guys sticking with the whole 'LSU/Alabama wasn't boring because of bad offense it was riveting because the defenses are so good' stuff?

Because Division 2 Georgia Southern put up 21 points on Alabama this week, 14 of them against the 'bama defenese, and they piled on the yards.

This may tilt the scale back toward 'bad offense' in that 'worst game of the century!'

Sandra

SandraC said:
You SEC guys sticking with the whole 'LSU/Alabama wasn't boring because of bad offense it was riveting because the defenses are so good' stuff?

Because Division 2 Georgia Southern put up 21 points on Alabama this week, 14 of them against the 'bama defenese, and they piled on the yards.

This may tilt the scale back toward 'bad offense' in that 'worst game of the century!'

Sandra

That triple option is hell to defend. I was surprised as well, but it doesn't lessen my faith in either team defense. It is simply something that teams rarely see.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I said the triple option is hell to defend.

And the team that we played, Georgia Southern, ran it very well.

I can tell you, having actually watched the game, that team, regardless of classification, is quite talented.
They were obviously overmatched but they used what they had effectively.
My hat is off to them.

They all 3 would have beat each other.

LOL if Arkansas beats LSU the three teams will be like an isosceles triangle!

OK, let's say Arkansas does beat LSU, and the top three BCS teams are still the three SEC teams, in whatever orderthey fall in.

The highest BCS-ranked team of the three goes to the SEC championship game, and, of course, the other two don't...because they're all in the SEC West.

In that case, whoever they pick has a chance to lose in the championship game, and the other two do not. So it will be better to be the SECOND ranked team in that scenario, because you are virtually guaranteed to be in the National championship game...your season is over and you can't lose anymore.

And if whoever goes from the SEC West loses in the championship game against an SEC East team...then numbers two and three from the SEC West move up to one and two and play in the championship game? Even though they did not play? Actually, it would be BECAUSE they did not play!

That's just not right.

Sandra

May not be "right", but that is the way it may possibly work out, and it is one reason I am tickled to be Number 2 right now :D

I am curious though. What would be "more right"? Let the teams ranked BELOW those two teams play for the National Championship?
That doesnt even more wrong to me.

I am curious though. What would be "more right"? Let the teams ranked BELOW those two teams play for the National Championship?
That doesnt even more wrong to me.

I dunno...perhaps a rule that if your conference has a championship game and you don't qualify for that game, you cannot qualify for the BCS championship game either. Not sure if I agree with that or not, just talking out loud here.

Sandra

I dunno...perhaps a rule that if your conference has a championship game and you don't qualify for that game, you cannot qualify for the BCS championship game either. Not sure if I agree with that or not, just talking out loud here.

Sandra

I am not sure how you would rank any teams then, because if that were the case then the rankings, polls, computers, BCS rankings, ect, would essentially be rendered meaningless.

I am not sure how you would rank any teams then, because if that were the case then the rankings, polls, computers, BCS rankings, ect, would essentially be rendered meaningless.

Yeah, I don't know what the answer is...but I do know that NOT qualifying for the SEC championship game (which should be a quasi-semifinal game) in order to guarantee entry into the overall national championship game, is NOT good.

Perhaps if this unfairness happens this year it will be true impetus for there to be a real change to the BCS system.

Sandra

Yeah, I don't know what the answer is...but I do know that NOT qualifying for the SEC championship game (which should be a quasi-semifinal game) in order to guarantee entry into the overall national championship game, is NOT good.

Perhaps if this unfairness happens this year it will be true impetus for there to be a real change to the BCS system.

Sandra
Lol, I dont think any of them intentionally didnt qualify for the SEC title game to guarantee entry to the BCS title game.
I can assure you that all three teams would love to play for and win the SEC if possible.

It is a fluke of the sport, but I dont necessarily consider it bad. First time it has ever really happened like this, and might possibly never happen again even if nothing is done.

Lol, I dont think any of them intentionally didnt qualify for the SEC title game to guarantee entry to the BCS title game.
I can assure you that all three teams would love to play for and win the SEC if possible.

It is a fluke of the sport, but I dont necessarily consider it bad. First time it has ever really happened like this, and might possibly never happen again even if nothing is done.

I agree...I'm not saying anybody intentionally did anything. I'm just saying that being second in the BCS standings insteaed of first should not be an advantage in any way.

Time to blow this thing up.

Sandra

First time it has happened during the bcs years. Second time in history. 1971 the Big 8 had Nebraska, OU, Colorado at 1,2,3 in the polls.

Didn't we just have this type of thing happen with Oklahoma, Texas and TT a few years ago, when 3 teams qualified, but 1 had to be left out ?

If Arkansas beats LSU, and it winds up a three-way tie (assuming Alabama beats Auburn), the SEC will see how they all fall in the final regular season BCS rankings. The third place team in the BCS is eliminated from consideration and the remaining two are judged by head to head play.

If LSU loses to Arky in OT, then it will be interesting to see in what order these teams fall.

osu1991 said:
First time it has happened during the bcs years. Second time in history. 1971 the Big 8 had Nebraska, OU, Colorado at 1,2,3 in the polls.

True but first time in the same division and since they have had championship conference games. It's unique, and the same division part seems to be the main rub.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts