2012 MLB trade deadline and rumors

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
A little less than two weeks away from the deadline, and in theory, we have more buyers and less sellers this year.

How's this for a rumor?!! :eek:

[h=1]Red Sox, Marlins Discussed Crawford, Hanley, Bell[/h] The Red Sox and Marlins are discussing a trade that would send Carl Crawford to Miami for Hanley Ramirez and Heath Bell, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports. The Marlins approached the Red Sox about the possible blockbuster, Nightengale reports.
The biggest impediment to the deal is the Marlins' indecision about their course for the rest of the 2012 season. Miami VP Dan Jennings is in Boston scouting Crawford, according to Nightengale. The potential trade would be the second-biggest contract swap in history, trailing only the 2004 trade involving Alex Rodriguez and Alfonso Soriano, Nightengale writes.
The Marlins are also discussing trades involving Josh Johnson and Anibal Sanchez, plus a deal that would send Omar Infante back to Detroit, Nightengale reports.
Ken Rosenthal reported earlier today that the Red Sox are determining trade interest in Crawford. However, GM Ben Cherington says there's "nothing going on" with the left fielder, who is in the second year of a seven-year, $142MM contract he signed following the 2010 season.

salsadancer7 said:
It has been said and confirmed that it was the Red Sox that approached the Marlins about Hanley and Bell by MLB Network's Rothenthal.

Peter Gamons said today that the report was nonsense, so if it came from him, Rosenthal's source is the Marlins. Maybe they want to drive the price up for those guys, but with the way the Red Sox clubhouse is now there's no way they'd want a headcase like Ramirez. Besides that, he's not been that good the last 2 seasons.

How's this for a rumor?!! :eek:

[h=1]Red Sox, Marlins Discussed Crawford, Hanley, Bell[/h] The Red Sox and Marlins are discussing a trade that would send Carl Crawford to Miami for Hanley Ramirez and Heath Bell, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports. The Marlins approached the Red Sox about the possible blockbuster, Nightengale reports.
The biggest impediment to the deal is the Marlins' indecision about their course for the rest of the 2012 season. Miami VP Dan Jennings is in Boston scouting Crawford, according to Nightengale. The potential trade would be the second-biggest contract swap in history, trailing only the 2004 trade involving Alex Rodriguez and Alfonso Soriano, Nightengale writes.
The Marlins are also discussing trades involving Josh Johnson and Anibal Sanchez, plus a deal that would send Omar Infante back to Detroit, Nightengale reports.
Ken Rosenthal reported earlier today that the Red Sox are determining trade interest in Crawford. However, GM Ben Cherington says there's "nothing going on" with the left fielder, who is in the second year of a seven-year, $142MM contract he signed following the 2010 season.

Hmm, can we do like we did with Cabrera and trade for Infante and have Johnson thrown in ? :)

Hart5150 said:
Peter Gamons said today that the report was nonsense, so if it came from him, Rosenthal's source is the Marlins. Maybe they want to drive the price up for those guys, but with the way the Red Sox clubhouse is now there's no way they'd want a headcase like Ramirez. Besides that, he's not been that good the last 2 seasons.

The Marlins are in a wait and see mode. Whether they are buyers or sellers will depend on the next 10 days. Everything that can go wrong has...BUT, with all that said, going into tonight, they were only 6 games out of the last wildcard spot.

The proposed/speculated Carl Crawford trade is the trading of one questionmark for two questionmarks. What the Red Sox need is a front-line starting pitcher, and those don't come cheap. If I were them, I'd attempt to trade Ellsbury for one. I have an inkling that Ellsbury won't be spending his career in Boston. Socially, he just doesn't fit in, so the Red Sox might get their best value by finding out if there is a city he wants to play in, which they probably already know, and working a deal where they trade him there, with Ellsbury agreeing to sign long term.

[h=1]Red Sox Notes: Crawford, Lucchino, Marlins, Valentine[/h]We heard earlier today that the Red Sox had lost interest in trading for Ryan Dempster, though they're still looking at another Cubs starter, Matt Garza. Here are some more items out of Beantown...

• Though Carl Crawford has struggled with injuries and performance since joining the Red Sox, he told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald that he has no regrets about signing with the team in the 2010-11 offseason.
  • Team president Larry Lucchino discussed the recent Crawford-to-Miami trade rumors on WEEI's Dennis & Callahan radio show (WEEI.com's Kirk Minihane has a partial transcript). "Dan Jennings, the guy from the Marlins front office who drafted Carl Crawford, was up in Boston scouting, presumably, Carl Crawford and others when Ben [Cherington] let us about the fact that there had been an inquiry," Lucchino said. "And given the encouragement that we offer regarding being bold I'm sure he asked them what they had in mind. That's just par for the course for this time of year. You explore all the possibilities, big ones, bold ones, small ones, incremental ones, whatever you can do."
  • Also from Lucchino's interview, he thinks Cherington is "empowered" to make a big move at the trade deadline. "This is a club has been built on bold moves over the years, going back to the Nomar Garciaparra trade as one example," Lucchino said. "There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that Ben Cherington and the entire baseball operations are all pointed to working hard to July 31."
  • Manager Bobby Valentine told reporters (including Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal) that he is open to roster improvements though he doesn't "see any gaping holes on our team."
Bobby needs to make an appointment to see an optometrist....STAT!!!

The Dodgers had an agreement in place for Carlos Lee and he refused to waive his no trade clause
The Dodgers had an agreement in place for Kevin Youkilis and he turned it down because he wanted to stay in the AL
Now I am hearing that the Dodgers and Cubs have already agreed on a trade for Dempster, and they are just awaiting his approval.

[h=1]Red Sox Notes: Crawford, Lucchino, Marlins, Valentine[/h]We heard earlier today that the Red Sox had lost interest in trading for Ryan Dempster, though they're still looking at another Cubs starter, Matt Garza. Here are some more items out of Beantown...

• Though Carl Crawford has struggled with injuries and performance since joining the Red Sox, he told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald that he has no regrets about signing with the team in the 2010-11 offseason.
  • Team president Larry Lucchino discussed the recent Crawford-to-Miami trade rumors on WEEI's Dennis & Callahan radio show (WEEI.com's Kirk Minihane has a partial transcript). "Dan Jennings, the guy from the Marlins front office who drafted Carl Crawford, was up in Boston scouting, presumably, Carl Crawford and others when Ben [Cherington] let us about the fact that there had been an inquiry," Lucchino said. "And given the encouragement that we offer regarding being bold I'm sure he asked them what they had in mind. That's just par for the course for this time of year. You explore all the possibilities, big ones, bold ones, small ones, incremental ones, whatever you can do."
  • Also from Lucchino's interview, he thinks Cherington is "empowered" to make a big move at the trade deadline. "This is a club has been built on bold moves over the years, going back to the Nomar Garciaparra trade as one example," Lucchino said. "There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that Ben Cherington and the entire baseball operations are all pointed to working hard to July 31."
  • Manager Bobby Valentine told reporters (including Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal) that he is open to roster improvements though he doesn't "see any gaping holes on our team."
Bobby needs to make an appointment to see an optometrist....STAT!!!

The Dodgers had an agreement in place for Carlos Lee and he refused to waive his no trade clause
The Dodgers had an agreement in place for Kevin Youkilis and he turned it down because he wanted to stay in the AL
Now I am hearing that the Dodgers and Cubs have already agreed on a trade for Dempster, and they are just awaiting his approval.

I've been hearing that unfortunately Dempster wants to stay in the NL .... good move for the Dodgers.

Depmster must realize how much easier it is in the NL than the AL.
Thats Unfortunate as I was REALLY hoping the Tigers would pick up the veteran pitcher.

...What the Red Sox need is a front-line starting pitcher, and those don't come cheap. If I were them, I'd attempt to trade Ellsbury for one. I have an inkling that Ellsbury won't be spending his career in Boston. Socially, he just doesn't fit in, so the Red Sox might get their best value by finding out if there is a city he wants to play in, which they probably already know, and working a deal where they trade him there, with Ellsbury agreeing to sign long term.

Here's a thought: Ellsbury for Hamels. Ellsbury is approaching his final arbitration year in 2013. Hamels is a free agent, so while it would ne nice if either player agreed to an extension with his new team, realistically, neither team has any enduring legal hold on either.

Philadelphia's incumbent centerfielder, Victorino, is a free agent at the end of the year, and I really don't know Philadelphia's roster, but I see that their current left fielder, Juan Pierre, has mediocre numbers and is a free agent at the conclusion of this season. Ellsbury looks like a good fit for them.

I dont know why the Red Sox would want to get Heath Bell. The guy has blown saves left and right all year and if he goes to Boston, I think he will melt down. I mean if he can't get saves in Miami which I dont think is a pressure city to play in, how would he fair in Boston?

For the Mets, Sandy said that they would see the next 7-10 days if they would be buyers or sellers. Hey Sandy, NOW is the time to get some much needed bullpen help. I think the Mets are only a game or 2 out of the wild card. I mean if we can contend for the wild card, why not for the wild card.

WHY would the Tigers do this ?

Drew for Peralta, numbers wise it's a HUGE downgrade ...

D'Backs, Tigers Have Talked Drew & Peralta

By Mike Axisa [July 21, 2012 at 9:04pm CST]

The Diamondbacks and Tigers have discussed a trade involving Stephen Drew and Jhonny Peralta according to Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com. The deal was characterized as a "long shot," however.

Detroit is one of several teams who have expressed interest in Drew. The 29-year-old has hit just .214/.274/.286 in 62 plate appearances after coming back from his ankle injury and will become a free agent after the season. Peralta, 30, owns a .271/.337/.415 batting line in 333 plate appearances this year. His contract includes a $6MM club option ($500K buyout) for 2013.

Jimbo said:
WHY would the Tigers do this ?

Drew for Peralta, numbers wise it's a HUGE downgrade ...

D'Backs, Tigers Have Talked Drew & Peralta
By Mike Axisa [July 21, 2012 at 9:04pm CST]

The Diamondbacks and Tigers have discussed a trade involving Stephen Drew and Jhonny Peralta according to Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com. The deal was characterized as a "long shot," however..

I hope not!!!

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)