2013-14 College Hockey

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
Program Alert: Notre Dame vs. Boston College tonight at FRIGID Fenway Park.......7:30pm ET on NBCSN

Forget it Bill...a NASCAR Thread will be sticky'd 11-1/2 months out of the year (despite auto-racing not being a sport and auto-racing season being from Memorial Day through Labor Day), but the NHL Classic 2014 Thread, packing-in 105K+ fans into the stadium, will get no love and attention here; actually surprised these threads aren't deleted. Same goes for College Hockey, Golf, MMA, Boxing, and sports that require brawn and/or brains. For those you'll have to visit other sports sites to discuss these sports.

Why would I delete this thread riff? If enough of you are interested in this thread I'll stick it because if the Nascar thread can be up there with light participation then why not this one. :)
All sports are welcomed to be discussed here but one, we can't stick all threads and two, if most members that visit here aren't interested in some of these sports how is that our fault? You know any? They are more than welcomed to post here.

Program Alert: Notre Dame vs. Boston College tonight at FRIGID Fenway Park.......7:30pm ET on NBCSN

and for the first time ever I was blacked out of a college hockey game. The game was also on NESN which I do get. We get Directv free (Choice package which does NOT include NBCSN) here at the apartment complex and there is a glitch and we get all the RSN's in HD included (ironically the SD version says not subscribed). So I got to see the 1st game but right at 6:30 it went black with "program not available in your area" (assume they wanted me to watch NBC SN)

oh well. Got to see the 1st game in its entirity

and for the first time ever I was blacked out of a college hockey game. The game was also on NESN which I do get. We get Directv free (Choice package which does NOT include NBCSN) here at the apartment complex and there is a glitch and we get all the RSN's in HD included (ironically the SD version says not subscribed). So I got to see the 1st game but right at 6:30 it went black with "program not available in your area" (assume they wanted me to watch NBC SN)

oh well. Got to see the 1st game in its entirity

There's another doubleheader next Saturday at Fenway.

3 doubleheaders this weekend on TV
on CBS Sports Net Friday is (times Central)
Air Force/Army at 5:00
CC/NoDak at 7:30

While BTN has
Michigan State/Ohio State at 5:30
Michigan/Wisco at 8

Saturday NESN has a DH too (outdoors)
Lowell/NorthEastern at 1:00
Maine/BU at 4:45

Michigan plays Wisco on FS Wisco+ on Saturday at 7

nice article on the "new" WCHA and the insane travel schedule

It didn’t take long to see that one of the challenges of the new-look WCHA was going to be travel.

With both Alaska teams, three schools from Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and one in Huntsville, Ala., all in the same conference, coaches have had to get creative to keep their teams from being too travel weary.

Some teams, including Bowling Green and Minnesota State, made sure they had sleeper buses available for long road trips in which wheels made more sense than wings. Each of the teams mentioned already made the 700-mile trek to play the other this season.

Both Michigan Tech and Minnesota State, meanwhile, were able to schedule back-to-back weekends in Alaska, allowing them to stay in state rather than make two separate trips to play Alaska and Alaska-Anchorage, who were in separate conferences before this season.

The Huskies made that trip in November, going 2-1-1. Minnesota State is in the middle of that trip this week, splitting their series at Fairbanks last weekend. On Sunday, the Mavericks made the seven-hour bus trip to Anchorage, where they are spending the week.

“It’s been real positive up to this point,” Mavericks coach Mike Hastings said, adding that — at the halfway mark of the trek, anyway — he’s glad his team was able to schedule both series on one trip over the winter break.

Two other league teams are playing both Alaska teams in Alaska this season but are making separate trips, one during each half of the schedule. Northern Michigan played at Alaska on Nov. 1-2 and will play at Anchorage on Jan. 24-25. Alabama-Huntsville played Anchorage on Nov. 8-9 and will play in Fairbanks on Jan. 31-Feb. 1.

Mavericks players have spent a lot of time together on the trip, gathering together to watch former teammate Eriah Hayes’ NHL debut on TV Sunday night and the BCS National Championship game on Monday. Besides practices and workouts, there have been other team functions, too, Hastings said, as well as time for individual meetings.

“The way we look at it, part of our responsibility as a program is the student-athlete experience,” Hastings said.

Perhaps the most-tired traveler for Minnesota State is freshman forward Zach Stepan, who played for the U.S. at the World Junior Championship in Sweden. Crossing 10 time zones, he met up with his team after Friday’s game in Fairbanks and was in the lineup and scored a goal on Saturday.

Ironically, the Mavericks will have the comforts of a home team this week, considering the Seawolves’ own travel troubles.

Anchorage has been stuck in Minnesota and practicing in the Twin Cities since Sunday after missing a connecting flight home after their nonconference series split at Wisconsin last weekend. They’re scheduled to return to Anchorage on Thursday night and not get a practice on their home rink until Friday morning.

“It’s been an interesting few days with all the hurdles we have faced, but sometimes these situations help a team come together,” UAA coach Matt Thomas said in a press release. “We have had plenty of opportunity to prepare for the weekend, and we are very excited to get home to the Sullivan Arena and in front of our fans.”

Hastings said the long trips do make him appreciate what the Alaska schools do so often throughout the season.

“The respect factor for what Anchorage and Fairbanks do … it’s just impressive,” he said. “Going back and forth, there are challenges dealing with that, and the challenges are real.”

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2014/01/09/lon...l-culture-in-the-new-look-wcha/#ixzz2pvBNT5Uz

Yep, tons of good hockey this weekend. Tonight, I'm watching Michigan State at Ohio State followed by Michigan at Wisconsin. Tomorrow, I'm Michigan at Wisconsin (2nd game) and perhaps another game if I can find time. Gotta love Big Ten Hockey. :)

As for the WCHA and their travel schedule...that's insane in the membrane!

Big Ten Hockey Stats:

23 NCAA Championships
67 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances
126 NCAA Tournament Appearances
9 Hobey Baker Award Winners

Now, we just need a couple more teams to field a hockey programs:

Haves
Minnesota
Michigan
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State

Have Nots
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern
Indiana
Illinois
Purdue
Maryland (coming 2014-15)
Rutgers (coming 2014-15)

While all the colleges play some form of club hockey, Rutgers and Maryland don't have the facilities and probably not the money, initially. I'm not sure how prepared the other schools are to field a team, but perhaps someone could shed a little light? I do know the Big Ten is wanting to field another 2-4 teams pretty quickly.

I thought as long as they had their 6 teams (and therefore a automatic bid in the tourney) they didnt care about adding anybody else?

Another win for Ferris State, having a great season in there first season in the wcha!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts