2013-14 NFL Postseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. Steve Young was an excellent NFL quarterback, who made the mistake of accepting a USFL contract when he came out of college. Then there were years in Tampa Bay where nobody was going to succeed as QB. He played behind Montana for several years, mostly on the bench. The 49er's didn't lose a step when Joe Montana left and Young became the starter. Young added the extra dimension of mobility to the West Coast offense. Young could have had many more successful seasons in places like San Diego or Oakland if they didn't have established quarterbacks at the time.

What exactly did Young do before San Fran??? Who was he in Tampa? Many QB's could've succeeded in Young's shoes, that's how COMPLETE the Niners were. I have tried to see it your way and I can not. Sorry. I'm not saying my opinion is fact either :)

I fall in the middle of you guys when it comes to Young. I think he did add a different element to that great 49er offense, but he certainly was no Joe Montana. Also, I remember Steve Bono starting a few games and having success in that offense. Certainly not saying he was Steve Young, but it does make you think.

No just a GM, not a wanna be rich guy...

In our case a guy who only knows about real estate yet he's trying to run something he don't know jack about. We're doomed as long as he's the owner :(

In this case I think Colin Kaepernick would have been the difference maker in the game. I'm not knocking Russell Wilson,because I like him a lot,but Wilson only had to play good enough for the Seahawks to win,Colin would really have to carry the 49ers for the 49ers to win because of the key injuries they had. With the Seahawks it was a team effort & any one of them could have been MVP. You would not have had the crowd noise with the 49ers as a factor & the Broncos would not have had that safety. The 12th man was as big a part of the Seahawks victory in New Jersey as the play on the field(did Manning EVER say "Omaha?").
Wilson imo is a mediocre QB. Lucky him they have the best D in the League. Colin has huge potential and possesses what one needs to become a hell of a QB.

I disagree. Steve Young was an excellent NFL quarterback, who made the mistake of accepting a USFL contract when he came out of college. Then there were years in Tampa Bay where nobody was going to succeed as QB. He played behind Montana for several years, mostly on the bench. The 49er's didn't lose a step when Joe Montana left and Young became the starter. Young added the extra dimension of mobility to the West Coast offense. Young could have had many more successful seasons in places like San Diego or Oakland if they didn't have established quarterbacks at the time.
remember this Steve Young could not beat out Vinny Testaverde

Wilson imo is a mediocre QB. Lucky him they have the best D in the League. Colin has huge potential and possesses what one needs to become a hell of a QB.

I feel both are good QBs ...
I like Wilson much better than Kapernick.
Then again, I watched Wilson in college and had a pretty good idea that he's the real deal back then.

Both have made plays to get where they are.

Colin can be lucky he got drafted by a team on the rise.

Both teams live by the Defense.

Kapernick wasn't good enough to get by Seattle when it mattered most.

That said, Seattle got the majority of the call that day as well.

Biggest difference between Wilson and Kaepernick,Wilson is almost unflappable,he never seems to get frustrated.That is huge in championship atmospheres.Kapernick does get flustered,it hurts his game at crunch time.

This is a way better list. I do think Marino in many ways was a better QB than Brady is but I can not put Dan above him because you should include rings. If Brady had just one then I could do that but 3 rings and his post season record has to be considered so he's in my top 3. Marino is the best passer and pocket QB I've ever seen but Brady is very talented as well and has a lot of Hardware to back it up.

I love manning and brady because they prove a pocket QB can still succeed in today's NFL. Even Aaron Rodgers who can scramble very well is a hell of a pocket QB and has a very similar lightning quick release as Danny did....
rings..........are a team achievement imo
proven by Sundays game any QB on my list should/would have won that game.

i pick Elway #1 he is the only QB i've ever seen who dragged 3 teams to a Super Bowl that had no business being there. note how many HOF players on those teams none i think. he had it all gun arm, mobility,strength.

look over all the ring holders on the list they have HOF players save Roethlisberger, even Brady has had very few.

Marino- how they never got him a running game is criminal.

Russell Wilson did what he had to do to help the Seahawks win. Who knows how much better he would have been if he had a healthy Sidney Rice & Percy Harvin at the wide receiver positions. It sure helped Colin Kaepernick a lot when Crabtree came back. I think that Wilson can become as good as Drew Brees & thankfully he's not as fragile as Michael Vick. Russell Wilson may only be 5ft. 11in.,but he's still taller than me(by 2 inches).

Got to disagree with you on Wilson, Rey. I think he's the best of the young group. His poise and command of the pressure situations is what sets him apart from the others. The guy I'm not sold on is Luck, turns the ball over way to much for my liking. But he's another media darling who avoids any criticism. Kaepernick will be very good, also it should be a hell of a battle between those 2 in the NFC west for many years to come.

Griffin is another one who needs to grow up a bit and start taking responsibility for his mistakes, the Shanahan's aren't their to be the scapegoats anymore. I actually like Foles going forward more than him.

My "young" QB rankings would be.

Wilson

Newton

Kaepernick

Luck

Foles

Dalton
Griffin

Tannehill

Oh trust me I understand and see the good things about wilson. He's the guy that will not make the mistakes that'll kill a team. He's also mature beyond his years but, if you have to rely on him and his arm alone to get you out of a hole you're going to be disappointed. I'm sure many of you disagree and it wouldn't be the 1st time when it comes to my opinions on a young QB.At this point only time will tell.

rings..........are a team achievement imo
proven by Sundays game any QB on my list should/would have won that game.

Marino- how they never got him a running game is criminal.
I agree 100%

We screwed Marino over in a lot of ways. Aside of the swiss cheese defenses put together down here except for maybe 2 seasons, the invisible men we kept drafting at RB didn't help either.

I agree 100%

We screwed Marino over in a lot of ways. Aside of the swiss cheese defenses put together down here except for maybe 2 seasons, the invisible men we kept drafting at RB didn't help either.
another QB in that pity party would be Dan Fouts both should have got 1 ring. sad
guess a Dan thing ?

Jim Kelley did the same thing 4 years in a row.

He was a hell of a QB who did great running that no huddle offense. Too bad he was surrounded by key players who would choke in the big game.

In the long run, I think Luck wilk end up being the besf of them along with Wilson and the rest.

Fwiw, I also watched Luck whenever possible and you could see that he to had IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)