2014 MPEG 4 Conversions

Why do you think I was EA in San Diego? I had an east facing balcony. It was less than optimal as I couldn't get locals at all, but was better than no dish.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

And you don't think this happens just as often in the eastern part of the country? I am in Knoxville, TN with no LOS to EA. I have lived in three different houses in this town in the last five years. This is the second time that has happened to me. I also can't do anything about the trees blocking my view this time because they are on the lot behind me.

Of course it does. Not every house or apartment has a view of the necessay sky to get satellite. Dish is unique as it has 2 "arcs" and unless I'm mistaken it is for capacity of channels, not redundancy for those who do not have a view to one of the arcs.

My point on getting 61.5 in both Seaatle and San Diego was that from the west coast we can get the eastern most satellite in the Dish stable. I believe that, relatively speaking, 61.5 is farther east than 129 is west to the geography of the US. Perhaps i am mistaken, though.

Miner

Also I would expect that the SD that is left will be MPEG4 so the bandwidth for SD will be pretty small. So bring it on E*. The sooner the better.

but all MPEG 4 at WA is still a ways off. The plan in action is converting WA to 8PSK. Dish jus replaced my brothers unit with 8PSK SD boxes. All MPEG4 for the WA has never been officially discussed nor disclosed as happening any time soon. The cost for Dish to go exclusively MPEG4 at WA must be cost prohibitive or they would not settle for 8PSK MPEG2 for the SD content. However by just switching to all 8PSK they would still reap significant bandwidth but I too wish it couls go all 8PSK MPEG4 HD and let the STBs inthe home dowconvert to SD for those with SDTVs.

Dish is just trying to make sure that market by market both arc will have their locals in HD where available & no duplicate SD channel..thus freeing up those spots for other local HD channels.

This is a good move by dish IMO...since this way slowly they will get all the markets with HD receivers.....thereby automatically having the capability to get the whole WA conus to MPEG4 later down the line.