2015 Dish Price Increase

We were part of a very short-term "survey" with Nielsen at one time. Had a small booklet that we had to fill in... I don't know what prompted it or why we rec'd it.

I would like to see Nielsen start using the digital technology a lot better. Work with the providers, and even at this point, the internet providers(Netflix, Hulu etc), and use as much info as possible to atleast compare their numbers. That would restore more faith in the consumer hands. This will not happen anytime soon, I wouldn't think. Not enough push for anything like that. Like previously mentioned, Nielsen is only good for the advertisers at this point. It would require little effort once implemented to use the digital information for a larger crowd for a more specific ratings system.

We were part of a very short-term "survey" with Nielsen at one time. Had a small booklet that we had to fill in... I don't know what prompted it or why we rec'd it.

They use diaries in smaller markets and to supplement the electronic meters in several sweep periods.

The majority of Americans are covered by the meters.

I would like to see Nielsen start using the digital technology a lot better. Work with the providers, and even at this point, the internet providers(Netflix, Hulu etc), and use as much info as possible to atleast compare their numbers. That would restore more faith in the consumer hands. This will not happen anytime soon, I wouldn't think. Not enough push for anything like that. Like previously mentioned, Nielsen is only good for the advertisers at this point. It would require little effort once implemented to use the digital information for a larger crowd for a more specific ratings system.

Netflix and Hulu et al refuse access to the Servers for audited info.

Again, with the PPM technology from Arbitron, that will not matter soon.

Nielsen already has a deal in place to use the Facebook API that everyone using Facebook or on a website that has a Facebook link (in other words, the majority these days) that will monitor what you are listening to / watching and feed it back to Nielsen. In other words there could be tens of millions if not hundred of millions with their choices being monitored in the very near future.

So much for your prediction of not happening anytime soon.

I've been watching television since the 1950's. In that time, I've probably had tens of thousands of conversations about television. I have never met anyone who has participated in the Nielsen ratings.
I've watched Pam Anderson on TV since the early 90s. I've probably had tens of thousands of conversations about her, yet I have never met anyone that has ever met her. Yet I know she exists.

Your point?

(and check the next post after your original post).

I sort of lost track, wasn't this thread about the price increase? Seems to have gone off track with someone telling how much he knows. The conversation has gone into the weeds about details.

I agree...there are more than a handful here that need their own forum. It should be called..."Unsubstantiated rumors, wild speculation, 1 sided opinions & utter BS".

When you get a chance can you check to see if there is any price change coming to the welcome pack?

For those of us that have it we would greatly appreciate knowing if there are any changes coming. Thanks

Correct. Other analysis have it at $50 a month or higher. $30 is the lowest estimate.

And they will pay the money in the Contract that they owe.

And considering they have the following under contract, The bill for ESPN will not be going down this Decade as most contracts run into at least 2022.

Actually if a la carte was forced lets say by a new law either people would pay $30-$50 or ESPN would go bankrupt and break all its contracts. I would speculate the contracts would all be broken. Sports stars and team owners would make a lot less money and the price of "the sports channel" would go under $10/month.

ESPN is its own corporation. If Disney had to restructure it in bankruptcy they would do it. Disney would not be bankrupted, their ESPN asset would simply be worth a lot less.

I suggest the same would happen to all the networks that "overpaid" for long term contracts. They would either take the loss or go bankrupt. Players would not be making 13+ million a year and not winning championships (Tony Romo). Teams would not be worth billions. Don't get me wrong, players and teams made a lot of money under the old system where free OTA TV supported the system, the teams would suffer pain, but they would survive.

Clearly you have NO idea how the sample is recruited.

Perhaps, but I did try to learn before I posted. It's obvious that they only gather data from those willing to participate, since it is not compulsory. With regards to demographics, here is a quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings

Measuring ratings
Nielsen television ratings are gathered in one of two ways:

1. Viewer "diaries", in which a target audience self-records its viewing or listening habits. By targeting various demographics, the assembled statistical models provide a rendering of the audiences of any given show, network, and programming hour.
  2. A more technologically sophisticated system uses Set Meters, which are small devices connected to televisions in selected homes. These devices gather the viewing habits of the home and transmit the information nightly to Nielsen through a "Home Unit" connected to a phone line. The technology-based home unit system is meant to allow market researchers to study television viewing habits on a minute to minute basis, seeing the exact moment viewers change channels or turn off their TV. In addition to set meters, individual viewer reporting devices, such as people meters, have allowed the company to separate household viewing information into various demographic groups, but so far Nielsen has refused to change its distribution of data of ethnic groups into subgroups[clarification needed], which could give more targeted information to networks and advertisers.

I've watched Pam Anderson on TV since the early 90s. I've probably had tens of thousands of conversations about her, yet I have never met anyone that has ever met her. Yet I know she exists.

Your point?

Whether I know that Pam Anderson exists or not is irrelevant. Unless they are sampling the viewing habits of people like me, they are not getting a true picture of the typical viewing habits. It's much like telephone polls, it is not random. It only surveys the folks who answer the phone and have time or inclination to participate in the poll. For example, people who work for a living don't have time to play 20 questions on the phone about the state of the economy.

Whether I know that Pam Anderson exists or not is irrelevant. Unless they are sampling the viewing habits of people like me, they are not getting a true picture of the typical viewing habits. It's much like telephone polls, it is not random. It only surveys the folks who answer the phone and have time or inclination to participate in the poll. For example, people who work for a living don't have time to play 20 questions on the phone about the state of the economy.

I am the opposite. When Nielsen mails me I participate. I have only done radio a few times. I figure my participation "votes" for the programming I like, and I want more of it produced. If I refuse to do the survey/diary someone else that likes stuff that I cannot stand could get picked!

Did people know they can use multi quote and only post one message covering various points, rather than 5 posts in a row?

I agree...there are more than a handful here that need their own forum. It should be called..."Unsubstantiated rumors, wild speculation, 1 sided opinions & utter BS".

When you get a chance can you check to see if there is any price change coming to the welcome pack?

For those of us that have it we would greatly appreciate knowing if there are any changes coming. Thanks
Thank you, stardust3, for trying to bring this thread back to the topic. I quoted your earlier post in my first post in an effort to get an answer to the exact same question about the Welcome Pack.

Reactions: stardust3
I asked the roommate and she said she hasn't heard of any increases on welcome pack. Hope that helps. I'll ask again tonight(that was a couple days ago)

Reactions: Mojo Jojo
Thank you, stardust3, for trying to bring this thread back to the topic. I quoted your earlier post in my first post in an effort to get an answer to the exact same question about the Welcome Pack.

I seen that...somedishguy is a dish employee. Maybe he'll check when he can & let us know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)