2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

For UCF however, it was a statement game. If I were a Auburn fan (that hurt to type), this game would have worried me when it was announced. For one, UCF is a VERY good team, no matter the circumstances. Add to that that UCF was playing with a chip on their shoulder, and Auburn was playing a consolation prize game.

So excuse or not, I do understand it, and think there is probably some validity to it.
As an OU fan, I can relate to that. Boise State Fiesta Bowl game still hurts.

Reactions: camo and Ronnie-
As an OU fan, I can relate to that. Boise State Fiesta Bowl game still hurts.
And Boise State went thru a streak of years where they were a Very good team, what about 5-8 years, now you never hear about them.

It all goes with the players your able to recruit or get lucky to find kids that develop better than most expected.

This is just not right ...
UCF has decided that because they went undefeated this year and beat Auburn that they are claiming to be 2017 National Champs.

Now I can see if they are placing a banner in the stadium proclaiming that they had an Undefeated season, thats Great and well deserved, but to say you have won the 2017 NC, is hardly accurate ...

They did play a few Power 5 teams, Maryland being one of them ... Maryland is firmly planted in the bottom 1/4 of the Big Ten every year.

UCF to raise national championship banner
No worse than the 2 "national championships" that Texas A&M added to their stadium based on what a sports writer said.

Until there's a real playoff system, there's a reason it's always been called the "Mythical National Championship".

UCF has as much claim to a national title as ohio state's previous ones.

No worse than the 2 "national championships" that Texas A&M added to their stadium based on what a sports writer said.

Until there's a real playoff system, there's a reason it's always been called the "Mythical National Championship".

UCF has as much claim to a national title as ohio state's previous ones.
Well, I agree with the first half of your post, but don't understand the last ?

The Previous Ohio State games that they won, your disputing ?
They at least PLAYED in the GAME.

Well, I agree with the first half of your post, but don't understand the last ?

The Previous Ohio State games that they won, your disputing ?
They at least PLAYED in the GAME.
It wasn't a full playoff, and before the 4-team nonsense started, there had never been an official national championship sponsored in 1-A football.

If I'm not mistaken, the NCAA still doesn't consider 1-A has having an official championship title.
edit: Just verified, the NCAA does not sanction a national championship title in 1-A Football. So like I said, UCF has just a valid claim as anyone else.

Reactions: madmadworld
It wasn't a full playoff, and before the 4-team nonsense started, there had never been an official national championship sponsored in 1-A football.

If I'm not mistaken, the NCAA still doesn't consider 1-A has having an official championship title.
Well, if thats the case, you should have said :

UCF has as much claim to a national title as ANY winning team previous does.

UFC has as much right as Bama does with all thier MNCs.

You don't like the 4 playoff set up, but you said previous Buckeye ones there were not a playoff, so your contradicting yourself.

Well, if thats the case, you should have said :

UCF has as much claim to a national title as ANY winning team previous does.

UFC has as much right as Bama does with all thier MNCs.
I was responding to your post, so I used your team. If msmith had made the post, I would have said Alabama.

It's not a slight against Ohio St, as you may have noticed I brought up Alabama loss in responding to his post about team's not caring.

I was responding to your post, so I used your team. If msmith had made the post, I would have said Alabama.
So your just not happy with ANY teams win because its not a playoff, but your also against the playoffs ?
Which one would make you happy ?

I never liked it when ONE team was just chosen at the end of the year, as well as when they chose 2 teams, 2 much power for a few people to decide who they like better than another. So the 2 team BSC was better than previous, but not as good as the 4 teams we have now ... 8 will be even better, but I think more than that will water it down.

edit: Just verified, the NCAA does not sanction a national championship title in 1-A Football. So like I said, UCF has just a valid claim as anyone else.
THe ncaa can think whatever they want, whoever made them the end all be all was mistaken as well, but there needed to be SOMEONE ....

As far as the ncaa calling a game a Sanctioned, big deal, they decided that because they no longer have control of it.

So your just not happy with ANY teams win because its not a playoff, but your also against the playoffs ?
Which one would make you happy ?

I never liked it when ONE team was just chosen at the end of the year, as well as when they chose 2 teams, 2 much power for a few people to decide who they like better than another. So the 2 team BSC was better than previous, but not as good as the 4 teams we have now ... 8 will be even better, but I think more than that will water it down.
Actually I want real playoffs like the have in every other division (with 16 teams which allows every conference champion and x no. at-larges). I've been pretty vocal on that point for years.

The 4-team plus one is just a scheme to keep it in the hands of a few. As this season showed perfectly.

Reactions: osu1991 and mccoyrj
Actually I want real playoffs like the have in every other division (with 16 teams which allows every conference champion and x no. at-larges). I've been pretty vocal on that point for years.

The 4-team plus one is just a scheme to keep it in the hands of a few. As this season showed perfectly.[/QUOTI

The 4-team plus one is just a scheme to keep it in the hands of a few. As this season showed perfectly.
I'm all for a 16 team playoff, at least I was years ago when Paul use to be here, we had most everything figured out (you can archive if you like).

However, IF you go that route, you need to entirely change the regular season schedule.
You would have to change a lot of it if you went to a 8 teams as well, just not as much.

I haven't looked, but how many games do those lower level leagues play before the playoffs begin ?

What I think they should do is NOT put EVERYONE in the playoffs like you mentioned, but make a Power 5 Championship as well as a Group of 5 Championship.

If your putting the group of 5 in this playoff, then your saying a team that is number 15 or 16 Actually has a chance to win the NC ... I don't think that will ever happen as the GO5 teams don't play the same competition, I'm not saying they can't win it, just that you would have 4 rounds and I seriously doubt that any smaller team (thats what you get with the GO5) would not hold up against the riggers of the Bigger teams.

YES, they can hold up in a game, but if they had to do it week in and week out, its not gonna happen.

I'm all for a 16 team playoff, at least I was years ago when Paul use to be here, we had most everything figured out (you can archive if you like).

However, IF you go that route, you need to entirely change the regular season schedule.
You would have to change a lot of it if you went to a 8 teams as well, just not as much.

I haven't looked, but how many games do those lower level leagues play before the playoffs begin ?
Why? All the other divisions have no issue with it.

Basketball plays far more games than football, and still has a full playoff, in addition to conference tourney's.

There's enough dead weeks between the current end of the season and new years to accommodate 3 weeks of playoffs and a championship game, as 16 teams only adds 2 weeks to the current 4 team plus-one.

Reactions: osu1991 and mccoyrj
They do not sanction one, but they do recognize titles awarded by prominent organizations such as the AP, BCS, Playoffs.

I doubt they recognize one claimed out of thin air by a random school. Now, it is entirely possible that the AP could award UCF their title, then in the record books, the NCAA would recognize it.

Still trying to rationalize getting your butt handed to you by an undefeated Utah? ;)
Oh, they did that. No doubt about it. I still in no way think that Utah was better than Bama that year, even if they were that day.

I doubt they recognize one claimed out of thin air by a random school. Now, it is entirely possible that the AP could award UCF their title, then in the record books, the NCAA would recognize it.
Like Alabama did for 1973 when they got beat by undefeated Notre Dame at the end of the season? ;)

That is true, and its definitely an excuse, but as a fan of a team that had to "settle" for a big bowl in the recent past, I can understand it.

Consider this, had auburn won the SEC, they would have been in the playoff. That is what they aimed for. They didnt however, and as big as the bowl game was, it was a let down for them and their fans.

For UCF however, it was a statement game. If I were a Auburn fan (that hurt to type), this game would have worried me when it was announced. For one, UCF is a VERY good team, no matter the circumstances. Add to that that UCF was playing with a chip on their shoulder, and Auburn was playing a consolation prize game.

So excuse or not, I do understand it, and think there is probably some validity to it.

I don't think Auburn likes playing ion the new stadium in Atlanta. 0-2, right?

Reactions: Ronnie- and Derwin0
Why? All the other divisions have no issue with it.

Basketball plays far more games than football, and still has a full playoff, in addition to conference tourney's.

There's enough dead weeks between the current end of the season and new years to accommodate 3 weeks of playoffs and a championship game, as 16 teams only adds 2 weeks to the current 4 team plus-one.

Basketball and football are two totally different sports. Basketball players do not require near the turnaround time to recover as football players do.

From a time perspective, they could probably work it in.
Looking at it from other avenues, logistics alone, it would be much harder to do.

Even comparing divisions in college football is not an equal comparison. Just getting stadiums ready if you did it on campus would be a nightmare for the schools involved on short notice.

If you did it at bowl sites, I suppose that particular part could be lessened, but you would literally break the athletic budgets of any small G5 school that happened to advance with travel alone.

Hell it would cost the big schools more money that it would be worth in most cases. Several of these schools have actually lost money in these bowl games, even with the money they get for playing in them. (at least I am pretty sure that is correct).

Reactions: Jimbo
Like Alabama did for 1973 when they got beat by undefeated Notre Dame at the end of the season? ;)
Not at all. We were awarded the title by the UPI (coaches poll) prior to the bowl games, as was customary at the time. No reason for it not to be claimed, or recognized.

It is one reason most polls started waiting until after the bowl games in following years.

Hell it would cost the big schools more money that it would be worth in most cases. Several of these schools have actually lost money in these bowl games, even with the money they get for playing in them. (at least I am pretty sure that is correct).
Most (almost all) bowls are worthless. Just make the first 2 rounds be played at home sites, based on playoff rankings. You can then send all the teams eliminated (and not making the playoffs) to the other bowls during the semi-final week as a consolation prize.

Reactions: Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)