2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

The 4 team system has worked well... till now.
I prefer 8 teams over 3 weeks of games.

Week1
1 vs 4 winner gets a bye week
2 vs 3 winner gets a bye week
5 vs 8
6 vs 7

Week 2 ..
loser of 1 vs 4 Plays lower seed winner of 5-8
loser of 2 vs 3 Plays higher seed winner of 5-8

Week 3
Championship Game.

Best system get to see the top teams play More. plus you earn that bye week. but we need to take the human element of the picking away.
the playing of those weak teams/schools schedule wise eliminated. leave open weeks at the end of the season for interconference elimination games.

The 4 team system has worked well... till now.
I prefer 8 teams over 3 weeks of games.

Week1
5 vs 8
6 vs 7

Week 2 ..

Week 3
Championship Game.
How exactly is that working? You don't have the winners of 1/4 & 2/3 playing at all beyond week 1.
And why are the losers of 1/4 & 2/3 getting a second try?

8 teams in 3 weeks provides no byes at all. This is how 8 team/3 week playoffs work:

Week 1
1-8
3-6
4-5
2-7

Week 2
Winners of 1-8 & 3-6
Winners of 4-5 & 2-7

Week 3
Championship

For byes in a 3 week playoff, you have to have less than 8 teams.

Reactions: mccoyrj
How exactly is that working? You don't have the winners of 1/4 & 2/3 playing at all beyond week 1.

8 teams in 3 weeks provides no byes at all. This is how 8 team/3 week playoffs work:

Week 1
1-8
3-6
4-5
2-7

Week 2
Winners of 1-8 & 3-6
Winners of 4-5 & 2-7

Week 3
Championship

I know how yours works. NBA uses that for east & west.
Sorry it's a 4 week

Week1
5 vs 8
6 vs 7

Week 2.

Week 3
1 vs 4 winner vs Week 2 lower seed winner
2 vs 3 winner vs Week 2 higher seed winner

Week 4.
Championship Game.

I know how yours works. NBA uses that for east & west.
Sorry it's a 4 week

Week1
5 vs 8
6 vs 7

Week 2.

Week 3
1 vs 4 winner vs Week 2 lower seed winner
2 vs 3 winner vs Week 2 higher seed winner

Week 4.
Championship Game.
I still dont understand why the loser would get a second shot at it.

Reactions: mccoyrj
Division 1 schools is what again ?
Have you looked at thier schedule ?
Here is a look at their schedule, the opponent record and games opponents won against P5 schools.

FIU - 8-5 w/0 P5 Wins
Maryland 4-8 w/ 3 P5 wins - Texas 6-6, Sota 5-7, Indiana 5-7
Memphis 10-1 W1 P5 Win - UCLA 6-6
Cincy 4-8 w/0 P5 Wins
E CAR 3-9 w/0 P5 Wins
Navy 6-6 w/0 P5 Wins
Aus Peay 8-4 w/0 P5 Wins
SMU 7-6 w/0 P5 Wins
Uconn 3-9 w/0 P5 Wins
Temple 6-6 w/0 P5 Wins
USF - 9-2 W/1 P5 Win - Illinois 2-10

Why? All the other divisions have no issue with it.

Basketball plays far more games than football, and still has a full playoff, in addition to conference tourney's.

There's enough dead weeks between the current end of the season and new years to accommodate 3 weeks of playoffs and a championship game, as 16 teams only adds 2 weeks to the current 4 team plus-one.
WHAT ?
YOur gonna try to compare basketball where they play 3 or more games a week to Football where you only play 1 ?

As for all OTHER divisions, your forgetting that I am on YOUR side on this.
However, in order to do that they would have to change the schedule and END the season Thanksgiving ...

IF they truly were to do this they would get rid of the Conference Championship games (that saves a week there) They are only there to be a MONEY GRAB anyways .... a way for the SEC to make more money is all ... they were the ones that started it ...

Oh, they did that. No doubt about it. I still in no way think that Utah was better than Bama that year, even if they were that day.
Man, every team could say that ....

I don't think that IOWA was better than Ohio State last year, but they were on THAT day ...

UCF isn't better than Auburn this year, but they were on that day.

Basketball and football are two totally different sports. Basketball players do not require near the turnaround time to recover as football players do.

From a time perspective, they could probably work it in.
Looking at it from other avenues, logistics alone, it would be much harder to do.

Even comparing divisions in college football is not an equal comparison. Just getting stadiums ready if you did it on campus would be a nightmare for the schools involved on short notice.

If you did it at bowl sites, I suppose that particular part could be lessened, but you would literally break the athletic budgets of any small G5 school that happened to advance with travel alone.

Hell it would cost the big schools more money that it would be worth in most cases. Several of these schools have actually lost money in these bowl games, even with the money they get for playing in them. (at least I am pretty sure that is correct).
I AGREE 1000 %, sadly I could only give it 1 like.

I still dont understand why the loser would get a second shot at it.
Just for the value of being in the top 4. plus the pleasure of seeing the top teams play each other a good possibility twice. as the NFL gives a bye for regular season finish, this way it's more rewarding as the loss is kinda forgiven. believe me it works out nice.

IF they truly were to do this they would get rid of the Conference Championship games (that saves a week there) They are only there to be a MONEY GRAB anyways .... a way for the SEC to make more money is all ... they were the ones that started it ...
Not really.

The SEC has never been able to play a round robin schedule, due to having 10 teams since Ga Tech left. By going up to 12 teams, they were finally able to have a single champion, after many years of having co-champions more often than not.

Not to mention their championship game has been successful since day 1, unlike the other conferences that have tried to have a meaningful championship game.

Week 1
1-8
3-6
4-5
2-7

Week 2
Winners of 1-8 & 3-6
Winners of 4-5 & 2-7

Week 3
Championship

This looks like a logical lay out ....
I think the other one is potentially for a 6 team playoff where there would be byes for 1 and 2.

Not really.

The SEC has never been able to play a round robin schedule, due to having 10 teams since Ga Tech left. By going up to 12 teams, they were finally able to have a single champion, after many years of having co-champions more often than not.

Not to mention their championship game has been successful since day 1, unlike the other conferences that have tried to have a meaningful championship game.
I dis agree with this part .....
Its well known that the SEC WEST is much better than the East in MOST years ....
And you typically have at least 2 TOP teams from the west (same goes for the Big Ten East and West, situation is flip flopped as far as divisions goes.), its not hard to imagine the top 2 teams from the West were better than the winner in the East ....
So if 2 teams are better in the West than the winner in the east doesn't mean that the 2nd team should be left out.

Its well known that the SEC WEST is much better than the East in MOST years ....
And you typically have at least 2 TOP teams from the west (same goes for the Big Ten East and West, situation is flip flopped as far as divisions goes.), its not hard to imagine the top 2 teams from the West were better than the winner in the East ....
So if 2 teams are better in the West than the winner in the east doesn't mean that the 2nd team should be left out.
You haven't been following the SEC for long have you? The East dominated for the first several years when they split into divisions. And there were several years that had slug fests between the two (Florida and Alabama had some memorable ones).

As for successful, I was referring to consistent sell outs. The Ga Dome has always had sellouts for that game.

Lately yes, but the East won the championship 7 out of the first 10 years that they had the game. Then they spit the next eight games 4-4 before the west became the dominant division and won 8 in a row. Now georgia swung it back to the east this season.

Currently the west holds a 14-12 lead in the game. Pretty even.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)