2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

One of the better college games I've seen was the OU/Georgia game this year. The Fiesta bowl with statue of liberty play Boise/Ou still the best.
Never underestimate Alabama when healthy they made Clemson look like a mediocre team that had no business being there.

hmm... Alabama vs. Georgia in the Georgia Dome, seems like it'll have an SEC Championship atmosphere. :D

The real losers, the hotel gouging industry of Atlanta, as most fans will drive up Monday morning, hang out before the game, and head home after the game.

Obligatory: SEC SEC SEC ;)

Alabama had several injuries late in game not sure how key they become.
I wouldn't give Georgia much of a chance normally because of the defense difference. Alabama really has a NFL defense and doesn't even need a great offense to win.

I liked TCU's kickoff return where the one player lay in the end zone (colored the same as his uniform) so the Stanford kickoff team concentrated on the TCU player who received the kickoff. The prone player then gets up to receive the lateral and takes off running, no Cardinals in his way. Beautiful play, but for one thing: the player who received the kickoff didn't lateral, but made an illegal forward pass. Oops.

UCF 13 -0 The Real champs

They did look real good and are better than given credit for. The whole coaching staff is moving to Nebraska next year with recruiting ties to Florida and rest of highly populated south. Big win for Nebraska, now if they can convince warm weather kids to play in the cold will be next struggle.

Reactions: madmadworld
They did look real good and are better than given credit for. The whole coaching staff is moving to Nebraska next year with recruiting ties to Florida and rest of highly populated south. Big win for Nebraska, now if they can convince warm weather kids to play in the cold will be next struggle.
This will be interesting to see if Frost can do the same in Nebraska .... I have been waiting for Nebraska to be good since before they moved to the Big Ten.
As for bringing players from the south, its not easy, the Buckeyes and Urban Meyer have been able to and Penn State has as well to some extent, but MOST will still stay down south.

Reactions: camo
This is just not right ...
UCF has decided that because they went undefeated this year and beat Auburn that they are claiming to be 2017 National Champs.

Now I can see if they are placing a banner in the stadium proclaiming that they had an Undefeated season, thats Great and well deserved, but to say you have won the 2017 NC, is hardly accurate ...

They did play a few Power 5 teams, Maryland being one of them ... Maryland is firmly planted in the bottom 1/4 of the Big Ten every year.

UCF to raise national championship banner

I could claim to be the king of the moon. There is no criterion for "national champion of college football". UCF has as good a claim as anyone, Alabama, Georgia or tOSU. At least UCF plays Division 1 schools.

Reactions: mccoyrj and Derwin0
I could claim to be the king of the moon. There is no criterion for "national champion of college football". UCF has as good a claim as anyone, Alabama, Georgia or tOSU. At least UCF plays Division 1 schools.
They can claim it, I don't care one bit. Most college fans wont, and many will find it funny.

But there is a criteria under the system in place. Under that system, they can argue all they want, but they didn't win what everyone started the season out to win.

I am not necessarily a fan of the system myself, but it is what is available now.

Under the system we now use .. it has worked till this year. but now the Big $$$ has kept a school out of the top rankings not because they lost but because they are not in .......The in crowd.

What "They" are saying is a school like UCF can not win a National Championship. if it was a honest system they should of been notified before the season started. Your school can not win. if it was a honest system they should not even bother putting them on the board at all. that would be Honest.

Look, I am happy for UCF. They had a fantastic season, and won a huge game against Auburn.

I don't however feel like they should have been in a four team playoff. The schedule just was not good at all, and that is not meant to be a rub against them. I honestly do not think they hold up over the season playing in a bigger, more talented conference, even if they can play with anyone for a game.

My guess, but them in most any P5 conference and they are 9-3 at seasons end.

Reactions: Jimbo
The sad thing is some in the media aren't giving UCF any credit.

I listen to ESPN U on Siriusxm. A couple people already said the SEC excuse. "Auburn didn't want to be there." I heard that on SB Nation too.

Now you SEC guys don't take what I said personal. I've heard the whole "Didn't want to be there" or "Their board" excuse every time a big SEC school loses.

It's a New Year's six game. It's not the Idaho potato bowl.

Division 1 schools is what again ?
Have you looked at thier schedule ?

Under the system we now use .. it has worked till this year. but now the Big $$$ has kept a school out of the top rankings not because they lost but because they are not in .......The in crowd.

What "They" are saying is a school like UCF can not win a National Championship. if it was a honest system they should of been notified before the season started. Your school can not win. if it was a honest system they should not even bother putting them on the board at all. that would be Honest.
I think they have been told that already, they are Not in a Power 5 conference, so they can't (in reality) win the Power 5 NC.

It has been mentioned that the Group of 5 teams should decide to have thier own Championship and I agree.

My local team University Of Toledo Rockets are often times very good, many years ranked at the end of the year, but they know that they really don't have a prayer to win it all ... and I'm sure all the avid Rocket fans KNOW that.

Who here honestly think that UCF could win the games required in the playoffs, 2 games a week apart against the Big Boys.

Nothing against them at all, but they are not playing Big Ten, SEC and ACC schools week in and week out.

They may be able to win against the lower end of those conferences, just like Toledo occasionally does, but not against the top teams.

Look, I am happy for UCF. They had a fantastic season, and won a huge game against Auburn.

I don't however feel like they should have been in a four team playoff. The schedule just was not good at all, and that is not meant to be a rub against them. I honestly do not think they hold up over the season playing in a bigger, more talented conference, even if they can play with anyone for a game.

My guess, but them in most any P5 conference and they are 9-3 at seasons end.
Sorry, I think I pretty much echoed your post below as I posted before reading thru the whole thread.

I listen to ESPN U on Siriusxm. A couple people already said the SEC excuse. "Auburn didn't want to be there." I heard that on SB Nation too.

Now you SEC guys don't take what I said personal. I've heard the whole "Didn't want to be there" or "Their board" excuse every time a big SEC school loses.

You want to talk about teams that didn't show up .....
Clemson (surprisingly) didn't show up.

In my book they were the disappointment of the playoffs so far.

That is true, and its definitely an excuse, but as a fan of a team that had to "settle" for a big bowl in the recent past, I can understand it.

Consider this, had auburn won the SEC, they would have been in the playoff. That is what they aimed for. They didnt however, and as big as the bowl game was, it was a let down for them and their fans.

For UCF however, it was a statement game. If I were a Auburn fan (that hurt to type), this game would have worried me when it was announced. For one, UCF is a VERY good team, no matter the circumstances. Add to that that UCF was playing with a chip on their shoulder, and Auburn was playing a consolation prize game.

So excuse or not, I do understand it, and think there is probably some validity to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)