2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

And everyone wanted a playoff and now wants to expand it.

From a traditional standpoint it does take something away. No doubt about it.
It will be expanded to 8 when the contract is up, I doubt it happens before that, but would like to see that happen. I thnk the contract runs thru like 2026.

I think people got tired of a few computers picking who they wanted to see in the final game (bsc era).

It will be expanded to 8 when the contract is up, I doubt it happens before that, but would like to see that happen. I thnk the contract runs thru like 2026.

I think people got tired of a few computers picking who they wanted to see in the final game (bsc era).
I think the BCS selection process itself was better than what we have now. They could have easily made the playoff and kept that formula.

And computers were only 1/3 of the formula. People say they were rigged, but how could they be to where it mattered really? The best and worst of the computer part was thrown out, and the rest averaged together, then combined with the human polls. Preferable to a group of folks in a room with no defined criteria to speak of.

I say that as a fan of a team that has done quite well in the playoff selection process.

Over the Christmas Holiday one of my nephews talked about a six team playoff (where one and two seeds would have buys and first round games would be between 3 & 5 and 4 & 6. Or was it 3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5?) Really, when he talked about it, it made more sense. But it could also have been the Lagunitas IPA talking...

I think the BCS selection process itself was better than what we have now. They could have easily made the playoff and kept that formula.

And computers were only 1/3 of the formula. People say they were rigged, but how could they be to where it mattered really? The best and worst of the computer part was thrown out, and the rest averaged together, then combined with the human polls. Preferable to a group of folks in a room with no defined criteria to speak of.

I say that as a fan of a team that has done quite well in the playoff selection process.
Regardless of the era, they will get in who they WANT to see play.

Even WITH the computers, they don't program themselves.

Over the Christmas Holiday one of my nephews talked about a six team playoff (where one and two seeds would have buys and first round games would be between 3 & 5 and 4 & 6. Or was it 3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5?) Really, when he talked about it, it made more sense. But it could also have been the Lagunitas IPA talking...
I have also heard that .... going to 6 teams.

It looks like Auburn is dis interested in playing today, at least the first half ...
UCF 13
Auburn 6 at the half

Coach better WAKE them up at the half.

Ahhhhh, Michigan... With the Wolverines up 19-3, I went out to clear the 2" of Lake Effect off the sidewalks and driveway. After that, I grabbed a bowl of chili and some cornbread that had just come out of the oven when I got done with the shoveling and sat down to watch the rest of the game. WTF? MI 19, SC 16, and not too long afterward, 19-23 and then 19-26.

And I had my heart set on Coconut Shrimp at the Outback... satjay, my condolences.

Reactions: satjay
No timeouts left, so Auburn used a soccer injury. Didn't help, lost the chance to win with a pick in the end zone. Not impressed with Auburn, less impressed with Alabama, the team they beat.

Ahhhhh, Michigan... With the Wolverines up 19-3, I went out to clear the 2" of Lake Effect off the sidewalks and driveway. After that, I grabbed a bowl of chili and some cornbread that had just come out of the oven when I got done with the shoveling and sat down to watch the rest of the game. WTF? MI 19, SC 16, and not too long afterward, 19-23 and then 19-26.

And I had my heart set on Coconut Shrimp at the Outback... satjay, my condolences.
Well, now you get a Blooming Onion instead !

Last edited:
Reactions: Gobucks and mccoyrj
I think Auburn spent everything they had in beating Bama, they haven't looked as good since.

Or maybe those wins over Georgia and Alabama weren’t big wins. The SEC wasn’t very good this year overall IMO. Tonight will prove that one way or the other though.

OU needs to keep their foot on the gas in the 2nd half. Georgia isn't known for scoring after halftime, but this game is still competitive.

Reactions: osu1991
With under 11:00 minutes to go, it's still too close to call... It's Georgia's game to lose at this point.
I give Kirby Smart an award for his HALFTIME adjustments !
Didn't ESPN report that he said "Go play your best 30 minutes of football. Ignore the score" (or something like that.) As you said, it's a new game.

Let's see what the Sooners do with the ball now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)