2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

I don't think it was because of the brand. Pretty much any school would get the waiver, as it wasn't their fault.

Same as Ga Tech got one the year they got bumped into the ACC Championship game (due to North Carolina and Miami breaking rules and going on probation), which resulted in them losing and dropping to below .500
Ga Tech hasn't been a brand name since Bobby Dodd died.
Considering this , apparently false, story didn't come out till after the selections were made I have to say FSU was definitely a more sexy pick than some that didn't get chosen.

Had it come out before and been true, I'd probably agree. It wasn't anything FSU did.

Considering this , apparently false, story didn't come out till after the selections were made I have to say FSU was definitely a more sexy pick than some that didn't get chosen.
That I won't argue, because many "sexy" teams get picked over more deserving teams for the good bowls. Happened all the time with the BCS bowls.

As far as the FSU thing, were they eligible, it really doesn't matter one way or the other, they let almost all the teams that want to go to a bowl go ....
Theres what 41 bowls this year (thats just ridiculous) thats 82 teams .... thats 82 out of what is there, 120 teams ?

Again, lets actually EARN a bowl game ... make it so you have to be like 2 games over .500 or better.
Problem with that is then theres no way to tell how many bowl games there will be till after the season ends.

Reactions: mccoyrj
Speaking of bowls they purposely made it 6 wins vs 7 to add more eligible teams.
As far as the FSU thing, were they eligible, it really doesn't matter one way or the other, they let almost all the teams that want to go to a bowl go ....
Theres what 41 bowls this year (thats just ridiculous) thats 82 teams .... thats 82 out of what is there, 120 teams ?

Again, lets actually EARN a bowl game ... make it so you have to be like 2 games over .500 or better.
Problem with that is then theres no way to tell how many bowl games there will be till after the season ends.

I disagree completely, its a bowl game and nobody is forced to watch. It gives these non powerhouse schools national attention they don't normally receive during the season which in turn helps recruitment and may even give some NFL scout another look at certain players. Not every school is guaranteed a bowl game like OS. The exposure is always good for these schools.

Speaking of bowls they purposely made it 6 wins vs 7 to add more eligible teams.

I disagree completely, its a bowl game and nobody is forced to watch. It gives these non powerhouse schools national attention they don't normally receive during the season which in turn helps recruitment and may even give some NFL scout another look at certain players. Not every school is guaranteed a bowl game like OS. The exposure is always good for these schools.
Bowls use to be a way to get away, play another game because you've had an excellent year ... now they are basically participation bowls outside of the Big Bowls.

Keep the minor bowls for the Group of 5 schools .... better yet, have them form thier own playoff system.
No I am not biased as I live in a city that has a Very Good one.

Jimbo's got a lot of work to do at A&M. Gonna have to earn that paycheck to bring them to that next level, but I can see him doing it. First order of business will be to develop a defense with a new DC.

Last edited:
Jimbo's got a lot of work to do at A&M. Gonna have to earn that paycheck to bring them to that next level, but I can see him doing it.

Yes he does...And Christian Kirk great player and person just got rolled up on. Could be a multimillion dollar game if he's hurt.

Reactions: mccoyrj
Not much defense in the Wake/A&M game today.

Two bowl wins for the Big-12 yesterday. One on Wednesday against the SEC (well, Missouri to be completely truthful). Not much defense in those games either.

Buckeyes with a Dominating Defensive effort tonight beat USC 24-7.
USC's recvrs made some fantastic catches or I think Darnold would have looked very ordinary.
Darnold had 3 interceptions and a fumble lost ... along with 8 Buckeye Sacks.

Reactions: Gobucks
The Defenses sure got fired up at half-time. Scoreless second half.

But after The Ohio State University drubbing of University of Southern California, the Big Ten is 5-0 in Bowl play!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts