2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

The Defenses sure got fired up at half-time. Scoreless second half.

But after The Ohio State University drubbing of University of Southern California, the Big Ten is 5-0 in Bowl play!
?
I thought it was 6-0 ?
I could be wrong but thought with Northwestern's win earlier in the day moved it to 5-0

Let's see, the Big Ten's 2017-2018 College Football Bowl games so far:
  • Iowa 27, Boston College 20 in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl (Wed Dec. 27)
  • Purdue 38, Arizona 35 in the Foster Farms Bowl (Wed Dec. 27)
  • Michigan State 42, Washington State 17 in the San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl (Thu Dec. 28)
  • Northwestern 24, Kentucky 23 in the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl (Fri Dec. 29)
  • Ohio State 24, USC 7 in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic (Fri Dec. 29)
Which leaves Michigan (Outback Bowl against South Carolina), Penn State (Playstation Fiesta Bowl against Washington), and Wisconsin (Capital One Orange Bowl against Miami).

Last edited:
OSU definitely looked to be firing in all cylinders yesterday. Good win for them. Congrats Jimbo!

Reactions: Jimbo
OSU definitely looked to be firing in all cylinders yesterday. Good win for them. Congrats Jimbo!
Thanks,
Well, at least the Defense was firing on all cylinders, the offense did just enough to get by.
I was disappointed they never really got the running game cranked up and we know that JT is a below avg passer.

Defensively, they would have been even better had thier 1st round pick (Denzel Ward) in the draft played ...
Sadly he skipped the game, i don't like it, but I understand it.

As it turned out they picked on the Freshman Okudah when they did make plays and a few PI calls against him ... and one that didn't.

Overall, its real good experience for him.

Along with Ward, Sam Hubbard played and declared today, there will be others, which is why I don't like the fact that they moved the signing day up to before Bowl games are finished.

Last edited:
Thanks,
Well, at least the Defense was firing on all cylinders, the offense did just enough to get by.
I was disappointed they never really got the running game cranked up and we know that JT is a below avg passer.

Defensively, they would have been even better had thier 1st round pick (Denzel Ward) in the draft played ...
Sadly he skipped the game, i don't like it, but I understand it.

As it turned out they picked on the Freshman Okudah when they did make plays and a few PI calls against him ... and one that didn't.

Overall, its real good experience for him.

Along with Ward, Sam Hubbard played and declared today, there will be others, which is why I don't like the fact that they moved the signing day up to before Bowl games are finished.
I was disappointed in Ward setting out. He should have stayed home. He looked like a douche dancing on the sidelines.

I wish they would have got the running game going too. The defense just played lights out. It was a good win and a good season.

Let's see, the Big Ten's 2017-2018 College Football Bowl games so far:
  • Iowa 27, Boston College 20 in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl (Wed Dec. 27)
  • Purdue 38, Arizona 35 in the Foster Farms Bowl (Wed Dec. 27)
  • Michigan State 42, Washington State 17 in the San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl (Thu Dec. 28)
  • Northwestern 24, Kentucky 23 in the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl (Fri Dec. 29)
  • Ohio State 24, USC 7 in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic (Fri Dec. 29)
Which leaves Michigan (Outback Bowl against South Carolina), Penn State (Playstation Fiesta Bowl against Washington), and Wisconsin (Capital One Orange Bowl against Miami).
Woo-hoo, now the Big Ten is 7-0 in their Bowl Game appearances. To the list above, add:
  • Penn State 35, Washington 28 in the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl (Sat Dec. 30)
  • Wisconsin 34, Miami 24 in the Capital One Orange Bowl (Sat Dec. 30)

Woo-hoo, now the Big Ten is 7-0 in their Bowl Game appearances. To the list above, add:
  • Penn State 35, Washington 28 in the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl (Sat Dec. 30)
  • Wisconsin 34, Miami 24 in the Capital One Orange Bowl (Sat Dec. 30)
Well, I think michigan is the only one left ....

Lots of pressure now on Harbaugh and his team to not F it up. :eeek

Lots of pressure now on Harbaugh and his team to not F it up. :eeek
I was surprised to see the Outback Bowl was a New Year's Day bowl game and not one of pre-New Year's games. I suppose the rational is that it's on at noon EST. But yes, Michigan has a ton more pressure now that the rest of the Big Ten teams chalked up their final Wins for the year. Personally, I don't think they have it in them, not against South Carolina.

We'll see tomorrow!

I was surprised to see the Outback Bowl was a New Year's Day bowl game and not one of pre-New Year's games. I suppose the rational is that it's on at noon EST. But yes, Michigan has a ton more pressure now that the rest of the Big Ten teams chalked up their final Wins for the year. Personally, I don't think they have it in them, not against South Carolina.

We'll see tomorrow!

Yeah from a rivalry perspective Michigan state fans made a huge deal about it. I am a Michigan fan, but even though its New Year's Day with so many bowl games, I don't think it has the New Year's Day luster New Year's Day bowl games had in the past

Go Blue though!

Interesting story on Georgia's last trip to the Rose Bowl in 1943.

UGA’s Rose trip is pricy, but at least World War II isn’t happening

A 4 day journey by train with no showers as civilian air travel was still restricted during WWII and the west coast was just deemed safe a few months before after the Battle of Midway. The Rose Parade was still cancelled but the game was given the go ahead in mid November.

Color footage of the game between Georgia led by Heisman winner Frank Sinkwich faced off against UCLA

Reactions: Foxbat and mccoyrj

We'll see tomorrow!
Vegas says they are a 6 point favorite ... oddly.

Yeah from a rivalry perspective Michigan state fans made a huge deal about it. I am a Michigan fan, but even though its New Year's Day with so many bowl games, I don't think it has the New Year's Day luster New Year's Day bowl games had in the past

Go Blue though!
There was a time that the Cotton Bowl was a New Years Day game ... as was the Orange ...

There was a time that the Cotton Bowl was a New Years Day game ... as was the Orange ...

True maybe 10-20 years ago when there where less bowl games there were games on New Year's Day that had meaning. So many bowl games now, and with the playoffs the bowl games to me lose a bit of there charm.

Just think as a big ten guy when the Rose bowl was a huge deal back in the day with the big ten. Now unless it's tied to the playoffs loses some of the luster

Reactions: Foxbat
True maybe 10-20 years ago when there where less bowl games there were games on New Year's Day that had meaning. So many bowl games now, and with the playoffs the bowl games to me lose a bit of there charm.

Just think as a big ten guy when the Rose bowl was a huge deal back in the day with the big ten. Now unless it's tied to the playoffs loses some of the luster
I was at the Wikipedia page for the 2017-2018 Bowl Games and one of the stats was something like 60% of NCAA Football teams are in a Bowl game. Bowl game$ are like the participation trophie$ at the kids level$. Just part of the reason our Satellite bills are going up next year...

I was at the Wikipedia page for the 2017-2018 Bowl Games and one of the stats was something like 60% of NCAA Football teams are in a Bowl game. Bowl game$ are like the participation trophie$ at the kids level$. Just part of the reason our Satellite bills are going up next year...
Pretty much what I've been saying for awhile.

I guess the playoffs have to get all the attention on New Year's day. To bad.

Hope everyone has a great New Year! Be safe guys.
Just wait, if they go to a 8 team playoff, they will more than likely have the actual playoff games every weekend after the 1st weekend (when selections go out, unless that is changed as well) then with the playoffs winding down, the Final game would/could be New Years Day, making more than likely only ONE GAME on NY day. :eeek

And everyone wanted a playoff and now wants to expand it.

From a traditional standpoint it does take something away. No doubt about it.

Reactions: satjay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts