This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

2017 LG UHD CES

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Ill post articles as they come, but points from the press conf:

OLED
25% brighter
Dolby Atmos on board with tv speakers (rolls eyes)
HDR 10, Dolby Vision, HLG, HDR by Technicolor are supported
Faux HDR mode from what I understand

They are also bringing a DV capable Blu-ray player.

Both the LCD's and OLED's are in collaboration with Technicolor this year for color accuracy. Is this their version of someone using THX?

The "W" or wallpaper oled model is 2.67mm thick and uses magnetic mounts for the wall.

Reactions: charlesrshell
LG Ditch 3D & Curved TV from 2017 OLED Lineup

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/lg-3d-201701044397.htm

B7, C7 or E7 for me I think.

https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-b7-series/preview/

Reactions: charlesrshell
Maybe LG wants to be paid to include the 3D feature. I doubt the studios or anyone else will find it worthwhile to do so.

Maybe LG wants to be paid to include the 3D feature. I doubt the studios or anyone else will find it worthwhile to do so.

Same could be said about HDR.
The big HDR game changer has turned into a laughable pointless tech at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

If they ever truly standardize HDR and WCG, they could be major improvements.

Reactions: tigerfan33
If they ever truly standardize HDR and WCG, they could be major improvements.

Yep. My point exactly.
For now though if the only way to know if you are watching HDR is to go to settings and check if your backlight is 100%, something is badly wrong with this tech.
I know when I'm watching hd or even 4K without checking any settings. My eyes will tell me.

Reactions: navychop
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/lg-up970-201701044395.htm

Same could be said about HDR.
The big HDR game changer has turned into a laughable pointless tech at this point.

Yep. I don't even like it on my 2015, and can't calibrate it. FP owners aren't happy with HDR.

Here comes Dolby Vision, but guess what, you cant cal DV displays without a file from the manufacturer for that model. Do the 2016 OLEDs have this file even though they do DV? Nope.

I want a 2017 because they fixed most of my gripes with the 2015, and you can accurately cal them for 709, 2020 and HDR10. Fine with me, especially since HDR10 will be baked into DV discs anyways.

Reactions: tigerfan33
As I typed that, Kris Deering posted this at AVS!!!

Here is what makes you mad though.

2015 OLED has HDR10, cant calibrate.
2016 OLED can cal HDR10, has DV, but cant cal it
2017 OLED can cal HDR10 and DV

As I typed that, Kris Deering posted this at AVS!!!

Here is what makes you mad though.

2015 OLED has HDR10, cant calibrate.
2016 OLED can cal HDR10, has DV, but cant cal it
2017 OLED can cal HDR10 and DV

Kris is one of the few guys on AVS you can trust.

Reactions: gadgtfreek
According to someone else with cal experience, the 1000 nits is only Vivid mode. Calibrated HDR mode is about 10% brighter than last year.

Also, if set to 150 nits or less for SDR, it has NO ABL, so it can be reference grade.

Well I am feeling even better now about my recent purchase of the 2016 model 65UH8500 which is 4KUHD and has fantastic 3D.

Is 3D gone from the non-OLEDs too?

Really wish they had a 77" version below the "G" model so it would be more affordable.

Really wish they had a 77" version below the "G" model so it would be more affordable.

From what I have read, with yields, it will be '18/19 before you see a better priced 77". Prob 2019. Im def getting a 2017 OLED, just gotta figure out which one.