gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Ill post articles as they come, but points from the press conf:

OLED
25% brighter
Dolby Atmos on board with tv speakers (rolls eyes)
HDR 10, Dolby Vision, HLG, HDR by Technicolor are supported
Faux HDR mode from what I understand

They are also bringing a DV capable Blu-ray player.

Both the LCD's and OLED's are in collaboration with Technicolor this year for color accuracy. Is this their version of someone using THX?

The "W" or wallpaper oled model is 2.67mm thick and uses magnetic mounts for the wall.

Reactions: charlesrshell
LG Ditch 3D & Curved TV from 2017 OLED Lineup

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/lg-3d-201701044397.htm

That’s right: none of LG’s new W7, G7, E7, C7 or B7 OLED models will support 3D, even though we’ve been informed that the cost to implement 3D capability is incremental at best. It’s such a big shame, because LG 4K OLED televisions had provided by far and away the most stunning and immersive tri-dimensional viewing experience we’ve witnessed from a direct-view display to date.

B7, C7 or E7 for me I think.

• B7: crescent stand, "blade slim" look
  • C7: premium aluminum stand and bezel
  • E7: picture-on-glass design with integrated sound bar (similar to 2016 E6)
  • G7: picture-on-glass design with foldable integrated sound bar
  • W7: ultra-thin picture-on-wall design with separate sound bar
In 2016 there was a curved model, the C6, but this year every LG OLED has a flat screen, including the C7. And unlike last year, none of the 2017 OLED TVs, and indeed no LG TV period, supports 3D.

LG 2017 OLED TV specifications
  • 55- and 65-inch sizes (B7, C7, E7) or 65- and 77-inch (G7, W7)
  • 4K resolution
  • Supports Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG and Technicolor HDR
  • 1,000 nits peak brightness in highlights
  • Covers 99 percent of DCI color space
  • Dolby Atmos sound

https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-b7-series/preview/

Maybe LG wants to be paid to include the 3D feature. I doubt the studios or anyone else will find it worthwhile to do so.

Maybe LG wants to be paid to include the 3D feature. I doubt the studios or anyone else will find it worthwhile to do so.

Same could be said about HDR.
The big HDR game changer has turned into a laughable pointless tech at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

If they ever truly standardize HDR and WCG, they could be major improvements.

Yep. My point exactly.
For now though if the only way to know if you are watching HDR is to go to settings and check if your backlight is 100%, something is badly wrong with this tech.
I know when I'm watching hd or even 4K without checking any settings. My eyes will tell me.

Reactions: navychop
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/lg-up970-201701044395.htm

Of course, avid videophiles will know that OPPO’s UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray player does contain a Dolby Vision-compatible chipset, and the company is planning to unlock DV support via a firmware update in Q1’17. The same applies to the LG UP970 which will be released in March, with a firmware upgrade rolled out later in the year to enable Dolby Vision.

Given that Panasonic and Samsung have continued to shun Dolby Vision, the UP970 will join the OPPO 203 and perhaps an offering from another brand as the most suitable 4K Blu-ray machine for LG OLED owners. Whilst improved over the course of 2016 through firmware upgrades, tone-mapping of HDR10 UHD Blu-rays on LG’s 2016 OLED televisions such as the B6, E6 and G6 remained problematic due to clipped highlight detail from lower peak brightness. It’s hoped that Dolby Vision’s dynamic metadata could help address this issue.

Although OPPO’s disc players have developed an excellent reputation among the video enthusiast community over the years, we’ve found LG’s Blu-ray decks to be outstanding value-for-money, correctly outputting the source video signal without unnecessary luminance/ gamma manipulation or forced noise reduction. One potential area where the LG UP970 may trump the OPPO UDP-203 is built-in Netflix and Amazon Video apps for 4K HDR streaming, though of course the latter may reverse its no-app policy and add them in the future.

Same could be said about HDR.
The big HDR game changer has turned into a laughable pointless tech at this point.

Yep. I don't even like it on my 2015, and can't calibrate it. FP owners aren't happy with HDR.

Here comes Dolby Vision, but guess what, you cant cal DV displays without a file from the manufacturer for that model. Do the 2016 OLEDs have this file even though they do DV? Nope.

I want a 2017 because they fixed most of my gripes with the 2015, and you can accurately cal them for 709, 2020 and HDR10. Fine with me, especially since HDR10 will be baked into DV discs anyways.

Reactions: tigerfan33
As I typed that, Kris Deering posted this at AVS!!!

One other feature of these new OLEDs not mentioned here is that the 2017 models will be able to be calibrated to a golden reference for Dolby Vision with the appropriate calibration software (Calman). This was not possible with the current or previous lines. Just FYI.

Here is what makes you mad though.

2015 OLED has HDR10, cant calibrate.
2016 OLED can cal HDR10, has DV, but cant cal it
2017 OLED can cal HDR10 and DV

According to someone else with cal experience, the 1000 nits is only Vivid mode. Calibrated HDR mode is about 10% brighter than last year.

Also, if set to 150 nits or less for SDR, it has NO ABL, so it can be reference grade.

Well I am feeling even better now about my recent purchase of the 2016 model 65UH8500 which is 4KUHD and has fantastic 3D.

Is 3D gone from the non-OLEDs too?

LG-OLED-TVs.jpg

Really wish they had a 77" version below the "G" model so it would be more affordable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)