LG NANO CELLl TV QUESTIONS.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

solarvic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
Hadley, pa.
Been doing research on looking at new tv,s. Ilooking at 2 tv models of LG nano cell tvs. What is the difference of a nano led and a regular led? The cheaper model is SM8600PUA and is edge lit. The other model is SM9000PUA which is backlight led. I am interested in either a 65 inch or a 75 inch. Havn,t seen any evaluations of either model. I did find that the model numbers that have an s in the model are higher grade than the models that do not . BestBuy has this mode 24 months without interest now and the prices have dropped more this week.

Last edited:
Nanocell is an LCD technology that behaves somewhat like an OLED (fairly wide viewing angle) with the brightness of an LCD (important in rooms that aren't well light-controlled).

Perhaps the only evaluation that counts is your own.

Since your location seems to be substantially uncovered by broadcast TV, a model that has a NEXTGEN TV tuner in it probably isn't important to you.

I have found that most channel charts do not give accurate information for me. If I believed them I would not even have a tv. I probably have better choice than most. I get Cleveland, akron-canton, Youngstown west of me in Ohio. Lots of tv from Pittsburgh south of me that are supposed to be on the nextgen list So I think having a tv with a NEXTGEN TUNER could be a consideration to me. Also get lots of erie stations to the north from me. I was thinking I might even receive Toronto Ontario Canada if they have NEXTGEN TV.. I used to get toronta from Canada when we had analog. I lost some channels when we changed from analog. What I read was the NextGen should get you back some of the channels I lost after analog.
The 3 main consideration I need to think about is Cost of the new nextgen tv. Cost might be too high for me. Right now I can swing the LG nanocell tv. Deciding which model I need the cheaper one with the edgelit or the higher cost full array. AT 75 I don,t want to wait too long to get a good 75 inch tv That I might be able to enjoy NOW. If I decide I want NextGen tv then I could just get a tuner box for that.

I was thinking I might even receive Toronto Ontario Canada if they have NEXTGEN TV.
Don't hold your breath for Canada to adopt NEXTGEN TV. They aren't effectively using DTV yet (my understanding is that the precious few OTA stations they have don't have subchannels).
What I read was the NextGen should get you back some of the channels I lost after analog.
What NEXTGEN TV could give, the repack might just as easily take away before NEXTGEN TV is deployed. DXing doesn't seem likely to get easier as all the stations (including those in Canada) crowd into a 36 channel pool (versus the 78 channels with a lot fewer TV stations as we had back in the '70s).
The 3 main consideration I need to think about is Cost of the new nextgen tv. Cost might be too high for me. Right now I can swing the LG nanocell tv. Deciding which model I need the cheaper one with the edgelit or the higher cost full array.
It comes down to what looks good. Cheaping out at the expense of viewing pleasure is probably a loss (especially at the 75" screen size).

LG has a vested interest in generating interest in NEXTGEN TV as they're hoping it will move UHD TV owners to upgrade their not-too-old TVs. I expect that they'll lose money on the tuners to "legitimize" NEXTGEN TV.

I just got the LG 65SM8100AUA Series 8. It's very nice. I haven't played with any Calibration settings, other than the presets yet (Because I can't cheat and find any that anyone else has posted anywhere), but out of the box, pretty sharp. Mine is Edge-lit and one thing about it, in HDR Effect mode, there is a "ghostly" white lighting that moves around a perfectly black screen. Logos are a big cause. I've seen complaints about it online, but it's not a big deal unless you're on a black screen for who-knows-why.

1599917005386.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)