2018-19 NCAA Football Thread

Excerpts from Urban Meyer statement

Over the past several days I have been portrayed as being indifferent to domestic violence and as someone who did not take appropriate action when warranted.

While over three decades of coaching I have learned to ignore how others define me, I do feel it necessary to share the truth with the Buckeyes family.

Here is the truth: While at the University of Florida and now at the Ohio State University I have always followed proper reporting protocols and procedures when I have learned of an incident involving a student-athlete, coach or member of our staff by elevating the issues to the proper channels. And I did so regarding the Zach Smith incident in 2015. I take that responsibility very seriously and any suggestion to the contrary is simply false.

The power of what I say and how I say it, especially regarding sensitive and serious domestic issues, has never been more evident than now. My words, whether in a reply to a reporter's question or in addressing a personnel issue, must be clear, compassionate and most of all, completely accurate.

Unfortunately at Big Ten Media Days on July 24th, I failed on many of these fronts. My intention was not to say anything inaccurate or misleading. however, I was not adequately prepared to discuss these sensitive personnel issues with the media, and I apologize for the way I handled those questions.

I understand there are more questions to be answered and I look forward to doing just that with the independent investigators retained by the university and I will cooperate fully with them. ...

Please know that the truth is the ultimate power and I am confident that I took appropriate action. As stated above, I deeply regret if I have failed in my words.

Urban should not ask McMurphy or the group of reporters that were at media day about his statement. Do you think he asked his attorney how he could keep his job?? LOL

Brett McMurphy, the reporter who broke the Smith story, questioned the validity of Meyer's denials:

Urban Meyer said he didn't intend "to say anything inaccurate" about Zach Smith incident. He was asked 9 questions about it at B1G Media Days & said: "I know nothing; never had a conversation about that; who would create a story like that & If I (knew) I would have made a change"

— Brett McMurphy

Urban should not ask McMurphy or the group of reporters that were at media day about his statement. Do you think he asked his attorney how he could keep his job?? LOL
Nothing he says/does will change whether or not he keeps his job. That's up to the powers that be at Ohio State.

The $35 million question is if they can fire him for cause. Based on the past dates and when he did the new contract, it looks like they'll have to pay him off in order to get rid of him. With the cost to get rid of him, plus his national championship, my guess is that he's going nowhere.

Reactions: Jimbo
Nothing he says/does will change whether or not he keeps his job. That's up to the powers that be at Ohio State.

The $35 million question is if they can fire him for cause. Based on the past dates and when he did the new contract, it looks like they'll have to pay him off in order to get rid of him. With the cost to get rid of him, plus his national championship, my guess is that he's going nowhere.

I agree.
At this point those deciding are trying to find out how they can keep him instead of how to get rid of him. Someone will be the fall guy but looks like it won’t be Urban.

Reactions: Jimbo
Preseason Coaches Poll is out.

2018 NCAA College Football Polls and Rankings for Week 1 - ESPN

Coaches Poll
RK TEAM REC PTS TREND
1 Alabama(61) 0-0 1621 —
2 Clemson(3) 0-0 1547 —
3 Ohio State(1) 0-0 1458 —
4 Georgia 0-0 1452 —
5 Oklahoma 0-0 1288 —
6 Washington 0-0 1245 —
7 Wisconsin 0-0 1243 —
8 Miami 0-0 1091 —
9 Penn State 0-0 1050 —
10 Auburn 0-0 1004 —
11 Notre Dame 0-0 892 —
12 Michigan State 0-0 870 —
13 Stanford 0-0 768 —
14 Michigan 0-0 752 —
15 USC 0-0 691 —
16 TCU 0-0 530 —
17 Virginia Tech 0-0 524 —
18 Mississippi State 0-0 407 —
19 Florida State 0-0 328 —
20 West Virginia 0-0 310 —
21 Texas 0-0 265 —
22 Boise State 0-0 261 —
23 UCF 0-0 259 —
24 LSU 0-0 254 —
25 Oklahoma State 0-0 168 —

Others receiving votes: South Carolina 138, Florida 135, Oregon 105, Utah 81, Texas A&M 67, Northwestern 67, Kansas State 35, Florida Atlantic 27, Memphis 23, Boston College 23, NC State 22, Arkansas State 19, Troy 19, Appalachian State 16, San Diego State 15, Kentucky 8, Iowa State 8, Iowa 8, Washington State 7, South Florida 6, Duke 5, Fresno State 4, Louisville 3, Arizona 2, Houston 2, Army 1, Northern Illinois 1

If Urban would have answered the question truthfully at media day, this probably would not be as big of a problem for him.
The coverup will nail your ass every time.
How often do coachesbtell the Media the truth ... 10% of the time ....
Urban has no responsibility to take or answer those questions in that setting.

Everyone seams to forget TV that Urban did not break any laws .... Smith did.
2015 Urban heard about the situation and Gene Smith was advised as well, thats all Urban has to do.

Reactions: mccoyrj and Derwin0
At this time, I'd like to thank the Big Ten for taking Maryland off our hands.

University of Maryland places head football coach on leave after allegations of abuse, intimidation

Three weeks before the start of its college football season, the University of Maryland has put its head coach on administrative leave while it investigates accusations of abuse and intimidation. A player died on his watch.

After DJ Durkin won his first game as head coach of the university's football team -- a return to greatness seemed possible for the long-struggling program.

But less than two years later, one player is dead after collapsing during practice. Durkin is suspended amid explosive allegations of player mistreatment. Once again, the school sports program is struggling to define the difference between high expectations and outright abuse.

Reactions: Mike0616
At this time, I'd like to thank the Big Ten for taking Maryland off our hands.

University of Maryland places head football coach on leave after allegations of abuse, intimidation
The Big Ten didn't take Maryland off anyones hands, they were never a concern on the field for any of the teams (maybe Rutgers).

Its sad when players die due to a football activity (probably heat stroke in this case) but it does happen.

Was there neglect on the coaching staffs part with keeping players hydrated .... keeping players hydrated should be an OBVIOUS thing to do.

Was there major abuse happening .... the abuse that has been mentioned is UNACCEPTABLE.

Got this letter in my email. Evidently I'm on the Maryland mailing list. Probably from when I lived in Southern PA and would get tickets for whenever Ga Tech played at College Park.

Dear Terrapin Community,

When I was named Athletic Director in July, my highest priority was to investigate the events surrounding the death of our football student-athlete, Jordan McNair. Although that review is ongoing, preliminary findings from the independent review being conducted by national experts in sports medicine indicate that mistakes were made. The care provided to Jordan was not consistent with best practices, our trainers did not implement appropriately the emergency action plan, and they misdiagnosed the severity of Jordan's initial symptoms.

Based on these preliminary findings, we have taken immediate actions including:
  • Implemented additional safeguards for all of our athletic practices and training, not just football.
  • Added cooling stations and increased student-athlete breaks during practice taking place in the heat.
  • Placed members of our athletic training staff on administrative leave.
Additional actions will be guided by the recommendations of our independent experts. The University has also commissioned a second team of legal and sports experts who will look into recent allegations of unacceptable behavior within our football program. The alleged behaviors are not consistent with the values of our athletic program. I have placed our head football coach DJ Durkin on administrative leave, and as of today, we accepted the resignation of our head football strength and conditioning coach.

Make no mistake, we will not tolerate any behavior from any employee within our athletic program that is detrimental to the mental or physical well-being of our student-athletes. There is nothing more important to me than our student-athletes’ safety.

You will continue to hear from me with updates on our progress. I ask that you keep Jordan’s family, friends and teammates in your prayers.

Sincerely,

mail

Damon Evans
Athletic Director

I recognized the name "Damon Evans" immediately. UGA fired him a few years ago when he was pulled over for drunken driving. Had a woman (who was not his wife) in the passenger seat, and the woman's red panties in his hand (at least they were Bulldog red). He then tried to get the trooper to let him go, by telling him that he was the UGA Athletic Director. Once the news got out that he tried to use his position to get out of the DUI, the Regents told the University President to fire him.
Police: Georgia AD urged against arrest for DUI

Yeah, I don't expect he'll be working hard to clean up Maryland.

Last edited:
Got this letter in my email. Evidently I'm on the Maryland mailing list. Probably from when I lived in Southern PA and would get tickets for whenever Ga Tech played at College Park.

I recognized the name "Damon Evans" immediately. UGA fired him a few years ago when he was pulled over for drunken driving. Had a woman (who was not his wife) in the passenger seat, and the woman's red panties in his hand (at least they were Bulldog red). He then tied to get the trooper to let him go, by telling him that he was the UGA Athletic Director. Once the news got out that he tried to use his position to get out of the DUI, the Regents told the University President to fire him.
Police: Georgia AD urged against arrest for DUI

Yeah, I don't expect he'll be working hard to clean up Maryland.

What a clusterhump.

How often do coachesbtell the Media the truth ... 10% of the time ....
Urban has no responsibility to take or answer those questions in that setting.

Everyone seams to forget TV that Urban did not break any laws .... Smith did.
2015 Urban heard about the situation and Gene Smith was advised as well, thats all Urban has to do.

He could've just fired him in 2015 and none of this would've been an issue. He has autonomy over his staff.

Not surprised Urban has a problem with a truth, again. Great coach, terrible human.

He could've just fired him in 2015 and none of this would've been an issue. He has autonomy over his staff.

Not surprised Urban has a problem with a truth, again. Great coach, terrible human.
Again, this should be about Zack Smith, not Urban ....
Urban didn't abuse anyone.

The only thing they should be talking to Urban about is, did he tell the people above him and that answer is Yes as Gene Smith, the AD was advised, thats all Urban is required to do.
Could he have done more ?
Sure, does he have to ? No ....

Jimbo's off to a "good" start at A&M. :biggrin

Texas A&M football: Player alleges NCAA violations by new staff
Texas A&M football faces NCAA scrutiny from ex-Aggie’s bid for eligibility at Arizona

USA Today released an in-depth interview with former Texas A&M linebacker Santino Marchiol on Tuesday night. In it, Marchiol, who transferred to Arizona in July, alleges multiple NCAA rules violations by the new Aggies staff under Fisher. Included in those allegations are Marchiol's first-hand accounts of workouts and practices which, if true, violate NCAA rules related to time coaches are allowed to work with players during the summer months. Perhaps most damning, however, are allegations that Marichol received cash payments of $400 and $300 from Texas A&M linebackers coach Bradley Dale Peveto to entertain recruits on unofficial visits. Schools are only permitted to provide benefits to recruits on official visits.

Reactions: mccoyrj
Again, this should be about Zack Smith, not Urban ....
Urban didn't abuse anyone.

The only thing they should be talking to Urban about is, did he tell the people above him and that answer is Yes as Gene Smith, the AD was advised, thats all Urban is required to do.
Could he have done more ?
Sure, does he have to ? No ....
Regardless, people think he could and should have done more, and while Urban did not break any laws, the university may decide they dont want his tarnished image to tarnish their own.

With so many things that have happened connected to universities of late, getting rid of him is definitely something they will seriously consider.

Regardless, people think he could and should have done more, and while Urban did not break any laws, the university may decide they dont want his tarnished image to tarnish their own.

With so many things that have happened connected to universities of late, getting rid of him is definitely something they will seriously consider.
I don't think they will seriously consider it. Not when they'll be on the hook for paying him $80 million.

They're using the paid break as a way to save face by saying they looked into it.

I don't think they will seriously consider it. Not when they'll be on the hook for paying him $80 million.

They're using the paid break as a way to save face by saying they looked into it.
They also can suspend him for 30 days and make it "Time Served" if they like.

I too expect him to be back.

Well, Urban Stays ...
However, they suspended him for the first 3 games ... (which I think was too much).

Some around the nation are spouting that he should have been fired or suspended for 1/2 the season .... then theres espn's heather dintch that thinks anything Buckeye is wrong, shes the paul finbaum of women, except he once ion a while says something positive about the Big Ten and Ohio State.
heather on the other hand has NEVER said anything good about OSU, ever.

She feels that Meyer should have been gone I'm sure, however, I do believe that she thinks that Meyer has beat women (which he hasn't) ....
Meyer is getting thrown in this thing like he's the one that committed a crime and he's not ...
Like mentioned before, He could have done more, however, you also have to remember that Smith is a friend (maybe not anymore) and have been around for many years, back in '09 Meyer helped them with marriage difficulties ... gave some advice, advised marriage consulting ext.
He gave him the benefit of doubt, from time to time seeing he's related to Coach Bruce ...

Anyway heather dintch in her opinion, said he didn't SOUND sincere ...
Not sounding sincere is something those who don't WANT the resolution say.

One more reason I never watch espn anymore.

Reactions: mccoyrj
The answers to at least one question, WOW, and seems to demonstrate he doesn't grasp the big picture. BUT, IMO, Ohio State looks as bad if not worse. Like many institutions they were trying to have it both ways, keep a great coach who brought them a championship but they believed they had to punish him in someway. I believe the 3 game suspension is a cop out one way or the other, but after some of Urban's answers led me to conclude, he should be fired for just that alone.

What message do you have for Courtney Smith? Urban Meyer: "I'm sorry we're in this situation."

WOW. That is really bad.

Reactions: satjay and osu1991

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts