2018 LG OLED's are bringing it

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
C series get a 77" (should mean great pricing later in the year)

3D Lut that works with Auto Cal

Plus DV calibration with Calman and more indpeth HDR cal controls.

Hmmm. I thought “new” models introducing new technologies were on odd numbered years, and even number years were incremental. IIRC, that seems to be the consensus at AVS.

PQ wise with the panel, it is true AFAIK. The addition of a 3D lut and better calibration tools probably come from the new A9 chip. Menu features change every year, or almost every year as they learn more.

The Panny plasmas started out with 2pt white balance and no cms adjustment, by their demise they had reference calibration controls. I think that is what we are seeing with OLED. I mean a 3D Lut built in is pretty dang cool, for those that care.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So a 3D Lut has nothing to do with 3D. Got excited for nothing.

None of these new sets have actual 3D do they?

Here I was hoping this was a thread about the new LG OLEDs at CES 2018, but nope. Misleading Title.

LOL, boohoo. What do you think the above posts are about? New 2018 features... This is an even year, no new panel, just tweaks and slight improvements.

What, did you want me to say they announced a B8, a C8, a E8, and a W8, G8 coming later? Whoopy, there it is. Or, how about the B8 gets a lower model processing chip, the A7, while every other model gets the new A9 chip which is trying to compete with Sony on the video processing level.

Happy?

Reactions: Foxbat
LOL, boohoo. What do you think the above posts are about? New 2018 features... This is an even year, no new panel, just tweaks and slight improvements.

What, did you want me to say they announced a B8, a C8, a E8, and a W8, G8 coming later? Whoopy, there it is. Or, how about the B8 gets a lower model processing chip, the A7, while every other model gets the new A9 chip which is trying to compete with Sony on the video processing level.

Happy?

Just explain some of these new terms for people, so they gain a little knowledge about it. I'm not exactly a tech newbie, but I've not as of YET heard some of them, and I'm not interested YET quite enough to have to Google them. Though I'm sure I will be in the future. You can help myself and other people towards that goal.

Just explain some of these new terms for people, so they gain a little knowledge about it. I'm not exactly a tech newbie, but I've not as of YET heard some of them, and I'm not interested YET quite enough to have to Google them. Though I'm sure I will be in the future. You can help myself and other people towards that goal.

To be honest, the video does a better job than me with terms. 3D LUT's refer to the color management system and more accurate colors. with this more advanced 3D LUT and a pro cal, it should be close to a reference monitor.

The new A9 chip in everything but the B series, hopes to improve their TruMotion tech and also handle poor sources more like the Sony X1 Xtreme chip (better scaling to 2160p and cleaning up banding on lower quality sources). The 2017 Sony's with X1 chips are really the example of how to do it, and I think LG has been getting beat up a few years over video processing, so they are trying. It is also nice they worked with the Calman folks (Calibration software) to make these more friendly.

The LG OLED's have more calibration controls and pic modes than the Sony's, including Dolby Vision, and now they hope to compete with Sony in the video processing realm. If they could get near equal to the Sony X1 chip, not only would they offer as much or more in features, they would be cheaper.

If you just buy and use picture modes that are preset, none of this is really important other than the hopes the new A9 chip does what they claim. Oled panels are "new" in odd years, so no huge jump in nits should be expected.

I'm preordering a 77" C8, so Ill post a thread on it when it gets here (Early April prob).

Given last year's panels and the absence of ATSC 3.0 and HDMI 2.1, I'm a little surprised that you jumped. Other than the calibration feature that will likely see limited use after the first few months, there isn't much there to be an early adopter of and hoping that the new processors approach the Sony processors is a leap of faith that may or may not be rewarded. When you pre-order something, you're probably paying as much as a professional calibration more money.

If you already have the appropriate calibration hardware, that saves some money as the meters shown in the video still retail for $6,900 each.

I have been waiting for an affordable 77" OLED, it is the main reason I have a 75" 940E now, not going back to 65". The price is right, so I am going. I couldn't care less about 2.1 or 3.0. These things are now mature for Dolby Vision and HDR10, which I am perfectly happy with. IF, HDMI 2.1 shows up on 2019 stuff, fine, but most of what it adds for won't be available for years, if ever. 2.0 is where it needs to be, I am not upgrading all my gear again for awhile, I have been thru two AVR's trying to keep up with 2.0...

I couldn't care less about 2.1 or 3.0. These things are now mature for Dolby Vision and HDR10, which I am perfectly happy with.
The 940E is fine TV and a known quantity. I'd freak if I lost my bet on motion compensation and in my viewing environment, brightness is important. That said, the OLED viewing angle would be a nice upgrade not if I'm not going to gain anything else.

Reactions: osu1991
Yes.

:D

My take-away is with the 2017 sets it didn't matter which one you got (picture quality-wise) as the differences were mainly in packaging and audio /speaker improvements. With the 2018 LG sets, it looks like the A9 chip is worth the price of admission.

Even though I probably won't get such a set calibrated, it is interesting to see the sets are calibrator-friendly.

Some of the other coverage mentioned the Google Assistant built-in, which makes me wonder if the WebOS GUI is still being used, or did they move to Android like Sony.

Last edited:
So far, from reliable (calibrators) owner's:

C8
  • A9 chip is much improved with less than 4k video feeds, but still not quite as good as the Sony X1
  • Motion is better, but not as good as the A1E. Same for handling of banding, etc...
  • 2018 panel may be 100 nits brighter, not fully confirmed. Sony AF8 will also have the 2018 panel.
  • Has a logo dimming function, that is supposed to detect a static logo and dim that area, but there seem to be some quirks with screen dimming. This has been observed by one calibrator watching the same content side by side on a A1E and C8.
  • Panel uniformity by 3 different reviewers has been noted as better than 2017, and near black handling is improved once again.

Sounds like LG made more strides in a positive direction. With only a few hundred bucks difference though, I think the AF8 would be my choice over the C8, but we will see how it all shakes out over the next month or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)