2020 Dish Price Increases Announced

I see the $1 surcharge for my Zip code in Western New York and on the Flex Pack, I get 0 RSNs and 0 sports channels. How is that fair?

I smell a class action lawsuit of being charged for something we're not getting.

Reactions: peggy97850
Makes me wonder if the RSNs are coming back after all.

I was thinking the same. Perhaps this was solution to find a way to get them back.... And the more I think about it that makes alot of sense they are coming back otherwise why the need now for a surcharge, and thus the charge in some markets that now don't have them. And thinking even more (and getting overheated....lmao) maybe DISH will carry all of them and then charge LA more, NY more etc through the surcharge.....but they will have them.
And don't discount Charlie making a move with some changes to get subscribers from Directv as they seem to be wanting to wind down.

And It may be DISH just can't win getting them out of the packages so they made this corporate decision to do a surcharge.

Dish is also adding a Regional Sports Surcharge...
So, from the fine print on the page in the link, there was this little gem:
"Effective 1/14/20, the price of Welcome Pack for customers who subscribed to it prior to 1/15/19 will be $30.99/month. Package prices do not include $12/month Local Channels price. "

So, does this mean that those of us with Welcome Pack who want to keep our local channels will now be charged $42.99 per month? :eeek

Also, at the bottom of the fine print:
* Regional Sports Surcharge is only applicable in certain markets for America's Top 120+, America's Top 200, America's Everything Pack, Regional Action Pack, DishLATINO Dos, and DishLATINO Max.

They forgot to list America's Top 250. AT250 is listed in the separate box about the surcharge where you can enter your zip code, though.

Dont think so
Let's see, the price went up $5 a month, so $60 a year. 2020 is a leap year, there is your extra day. Now to figure out how much that extra day costs, There are 366 days in leap year so $5 divided by 366 is 1.37 cents. Can we actually afford that? ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Is the Regional Sports Surcharge only charged if you are receiving your Regional Sports channels? I put in my zip code 43064 for Plain City, Ohio and it listed the surcharge as $1. Yet my 2 Regional Sports channels Fox Sports Ohio 412-15 and Fox Sports Cincinnati 412-17 are still removed. If Dish is planning on getting those channels back I will gladly pay the extra $1 to be able to watch my Cleveland Indians and Cincinnati Reds.
That $1 could be for Big Ten Network. Remember they just had a high-profile dispute and contract renewal recently. If this surcharge works the way it does on Directv, it varies by zip code, with zip codes closer to the big city (in the "core" of the market) paying more than other zip codes that receive the same channels. With my zip code 44906, there is no surcharge. Entering a zip code closer to Columbus, I see the $1 surcharge listed.

I see the $1 surcharge for my Zip code in Western New York and on the Flex Pack, I get 0 RSNs and 0 sports channels. How is that fair?

I smell a class action lawsuit of being charged for something we're not getting.
According to the fine print, the Flex Pack is not subject to the RSN surcharge. It's AT120+ and above. So you should be good.

Reactions: pattykay
We lost both our RSN's (Fox Midwest & Comcast Chicago) but do have Big 10...when I entered mine & a couple other local surrounding zips for RSN cost, they all came back with NO charge.

And had to get a day earlier this year.. Some multi degree new hire employee did the figure on how much more we can get gouged by charging an extra day
Let's see, the price went up $5 a month, so $60 a year. 2020 is a leap year, there is your extra day. Now to figure out how much that extra day costs, There are 366 days in leap year so $5 divided by 366 is 1.37 cents. Can we actually afford that? ;)
For someone with a billing cycle that starts on the 14th, the cost would be an extra $5 this year, compared to last year's schedule when they would not have seen the increase until February 14. Now multiply that $5 by 1/30th of
Dish's total subscriber base (assuming an average-length 30-day month, and that the billing dates are spread out evenly among their subscribers) and you can see how much money Dish is making by doing the price change a day earlier.

Well the joke may be on you. With the $5 increase Welcome pack is going to cost me as much as ORBI's base package. Tax is built into package price up to 4 receivers also are built in, DISH wants $7 per mo. for each receiver.
I found a solution for that, though. I have my account set up as a Dish Outdoor account. That means that I can easily add and remove my purchased receivers from my service through the mydish site. So, for my lesser-used Wally, I activate it in the morning before I plan to watch anything on it, and then deactivate it before midnight, after I am done using it that day. This way, I still get the use of this receiver with no receiver fee, since the partial charge for adding it and the partial credit for removing it offset each other.

Well, there goes my Social Security pay raise. I am at the Welcome Pack now. Can't go any lower and not drop Dish.
Pfft! My SS COLA already almost disappeared when Medicare announced their price increase. My SS COLA increase = $12/month, My Medicare premium increase = $9/month, Dish increase = $5. The new year hasn't even started yet and I'm already $2/month in the hole

I was thinking the same. Perhaps this was solution to find a way to get them back.... And the more I think about it that makes alot of sense they are coming back otherwise why the need now for a surcharge...
Because the ones that are still being carried are still really expensive, and Dish is still locked into a long-term contract to carry them. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to only charge people who can actually receive those channels for them, and leave the rest of the country out of paying for them. If those carriage contracts were also about to expire, then I would agree "why the need now for a surcharge" since it would seem to be easier for Dish to simply ride out those contracts as-is, rather than add a new surcharge only to turn around and remove it again when those channels get removed.

It's been $60 a year increase almost every year I've had Dish (a long time). My price lock is good till August, will have to re-evaluate at that point - at least get some of the SD channels in HD if they're available. Everyone is raising prices on everything, those on fixed incomes are having trouble keeping up (and I've dropped all premium channels and am on Flex, can't get much cheaper). YouTube TV is looking better and better.

I re-signed up for another preferred customer deal as I have been with Dish for 20 years, with $20 a month off for this time 2 years. They did give me $30 a month off my last 1 year, but if I went with that, I would still have to deal with the yearly increase, and try to get another in late 2020. I figured this was a best deal with no rate increases for 2 years. By then, I will look again at options like cord cutting, but it is not for me at this time. Too many channels I would lose to begin with and I like having the super stations and movie pack, let alone locals as some are not available OTA here.
Cord cutting is okay for some, but not everyone. I do have the Fire TV and Roku, as I am a cord shaver I guess as I like both.

Put up an antenna for locals and get a smart tv.....tons of stuff on there for free. I regret not cutting the cord sooner.
I wish people wouldn't answer put up an antenna for locals because there's circumstances that people can't put up an antenna because of distance from stations or they live in apartments etc.:mad:

Have you seen Orby? They've got next to nothing and most of it is in SD.

I spent 6 months looking at options including Orby, AT&T (Direct) Spectrum, and a zillion streaming packages. Nothing out there I wanted. Either too expensive, not the channels I want, loss of Super stations, etc. I am sticking with Dish at least for the next couple of years.

So, from the fine print on the page in the link, there was this little gem:
"Effective 1/14/20, the price of Welcome Pack for customers who subscribed to it prior to 1/15/19 will be $30.99/month. Package prices do not include $12/month Local Channels price. "

So, does this mean that those of us with Welcome Pack who want to keep our local channels will now be charged $42.99 per month? :eeek

Also, at the bottom of the fine print:
* Regional Sports Surcharge is only applicable in certain markets for America's Top 120+, America's Top 200, America's Everything Pack, Regional Action Pack, DishLATINO Dos, and DishLATINO Max.

They forgot to list America's Top 250. AT250 is listed in the separate box about the surcharge where you can enter your zip code, though.

If the posted increase includes locals on the welcome pack and they give us the option to drop them for a $12 savings. That would be something to jump up and down about.

• Love

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts