2021-22 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Big 12 will be back to 12 when Texas and Oklahoma leave.

BYU will start conference play in 2023, with Houston, UCF and Cincinnati no later than 2024.

The conference will also return to having 2 divisions.

With NIL and all these conference realignments, I have the feeling college football as we've known and loved is coming to an end. Corporate sponsorship of athletes will lead to longer games, less parity among teams, and individualism of athletes like never before. Welcome to the NCAANFL.

Reactions: BillD1984
Looks like the Big 12 will be back to 12 when Texas and Oklahoma leave.

Number will be correct. Of course, the “Big” part will now be wrong.

BTW, the supposed deal is being worked out:

Texas and Oklahoma will be released from B12 for the 23 or 24 season (24 is when the “best game from the best conference” 3:30 package moves to ABC/ESPN, giving it 100% SEC rights). Disney will pay for this early exit by not cutting what it currently pay the B12, even with the massive loss in national interest.

The escaping 3 will leave the AAC at the same time. Likewise Disney will pay for this by continuing to pay the AAC under the current contract, despite the lower interest; and via a higher exit fee. The escaping 3 will receive a “loan” from the B12 for the exit fee which will be paid back by then not getting TV money for several years.

The AAC will pick up Alabama-Birmingham, and wants Army and Air Force. If the service academies balk, then it would be North Carolina - Charlotte and Georgia State. The AAC’s marketing deal is to be IN big cities and, falsely IMHO, claim that that equals being SIGNIFICANT IN those cities.

CBS, with nothing to show on Saturdays after the 23 season, will sub-license some AAC content from ESPN. This will help Disney pay for all of this.

The AAC will pick up Alabama-Birmingham, and wants Army and Air Force. If the service academies balk, then it would be North Carolina - Charlotte and Georgia State. The AAC’s marketing deal is to be IN big cities and, falsely IMHO, claim that that equals being SIGNIFICANT IN those cities.
Georgia State? LOL

Even Georgia Tech doesn't command the Atlanta market, UGA owns that, even if they're an hour away in Athens.

Texas and Oklahoma will be released from B12 for the 23 or 24 season (24 is when the “best game from the best conference” 3:30 package moves to ABC/ESPN, giving it 100% SEC rights). Disney will pay for this early exit by not cutting what it currently pay the B12, even with the massive loss in national interest.

The escaping 3 will leave the AAC at the same time. Likewise Disney will pay for this by continuing to pay the AAC under the current contract

If that's so, looks like the Big 12 was right to accuse ESPN for being behind Texas and Oklahoma's moves.

Georgia State? LOL

Even Georgia Tech doesn't command the Atlanta market, UGA owns that, even if they're an hour away in Athens.

I agree 100%. But that has been the AAC’s snake oil since Day One. Other than rural based East Carolina (which has no fans other than students and alumni) the AAC lie has been that being IN a city = being SIGNIFICANT IN that city.

There isn’t a city in the AAC where the AAC team is in the top 5 most popular college teams.
If that's so, looks like the Big 12 was right to accuse ESPN for being behind Texas and Oklahoma's moves.
Well, yes, ESPN so an opportunity and ran with. Understand what the Big 12 2.0 was. Texas and Oklahoma engineered at deal where some TV games were held back, meaning an unequal revenue sharing system. Unique in all of college sports. So the teams that could leave Big 12 1.0 (Nebraska, TAMU, Colorado, and MIzzou) did so. Thus they created the Big 12 2.0 with eight field fillers. The idea was to settle the matter between themselves at least 9 years out of 10.

Didn’t work, mainly because the best want to compete in better conferences, to see if they really are the best and to improve. You don’t get that playing the Little 8. Also didn’t work for ESPN, because the Longhorn Network is losing $$ by the buckets full, because it turns out that one pushover football game, three pushover basketball games, minor sports and reruns of Texas victories from 35 years ago is not compelling programming

So ESPN saw a way to make the SEC better (it owns 100% of the SEC rights, shares the Big 12 with Fox) and to get out of the Longhorn Network. Texas and Oklahoma saw a way to get out of the disaster that has been the Big 12 2.0.

Thus is born the Big 12 3.0. Twelve teams united in the knowledge that no other conference wants them.

Reactions: Derwin0
At that point, the SEC will no longer be the SEC, but they will be the SC ... (they were already trending that way when any teams west of Alabama joined.)

At that point, the SEC will no longer be the SEC, but they will be the SC ... (they were already trending that way when any teams west of Alabama joined.)
West of Alabama ? Mississippi and Louisiana are not considered southeast anymore ?

Well, if you want to go there, almost none of the conference names make sense.

The Big 10 has 14 members.

The Pac 12 has Colorado. Boulder is on the east side of the Continental Divide, and thus in the Atlantic drainage. And Utah, which is in Salt Lake City, and thus in the Great Basin.

The Atlantic Coast has Louisville, which is 600 miles from any coast, Kentucky not being a state with a coast; along with teams in Syracuse and South Bend, which are in the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence basin.

The Big 12 has 10 members. It will soon have 12, but none of them are “big”.

The Mid-American has a team in that great mid-western state of New York.

The Mountain West has three teams in California and one in Hawaii.

The Sun Belt has teams in such sunny climes as Boone, NC (which is in the high Appalachians and very cold) and Jonesboro, AR; and soon in West Virginia and in northern Virginia.

I guess that leaves Conference USA, which is in the USA, and the American Athletic, which in in America.

• Love
Reactions: Derwin0 and Jimbo
The College Football people have to SERIOUSLY change the OT rules and quickly.

This isn't Football, they may as well make OT a kicking contest, it would be No different.
I don't know how they can even call it overtime.

First, what is wrong with a tie? In a regular season game, what is wrong with a tie? Ties were a part of college football for 100 years, and remain a part of the NFL.

Second, who asked them to fix the tiebreaker system. The first deal, which was alternate possessions was fine. Then some game went to like 8 overtimes and they tweaked it to make teams go for two after the 3rd possession, which was supposed to make it harder and get things resolved. Lasted for a decade and a half than then some game went to like 8 overtimes and now they come up with the first OT is regular, the second is go for two and then it is this go for two without anything else thereafter. Why? So a game, once a decade or so, goes super long. And? The go for two deal creates a random result. Random results are bad.

They should adopt the current NFL overtime rules.

I you will never see college ending in a tie. They need win loses for the convoluted playoff system.

They should adopt the current NFL overtime rules.

I you will never see college ending in a tie. They need win loses for the convoluted playoff system.
NFL rules are not much better.

Personally, I would have teams (IF they are not going to KO and start another quarter, which they are trying to avoid)
Start at say the 40 or 50 yard line instead of the 20 or 25, don't remember which it is now. At least this way you have to still play the game.
Both teams get a possession ....
So I guess its a combination of the Pros and the college.

Enough of the stupid 2 point conversion, where thats the only play you get.

Btw, I would NOT move the xtra point back like the Pros did, it was stupid for the pros to do and would be worse if college did it.

The College Football people have to SERIOUSLY change the OT rules and quickly.

This isn't Football, they may as well make OT a kicking contest, it would be No different.
I liked the old college OT rules (high school here uses pretty much the same thing), much better than the NFL's sudden death. It gave both teams equal chances (ie. possession).

This year's rotating 2 yard possessions remind me of soccer's OT kicks, and makes me really wish they went back to the old system.

Reactions: Jimbo and SamCdbs
Some huge Coaching moves being made ...
Sounds like Lincoln Riley is going to USC as well as the Irish Brian Kelly off to LSU ....

Who next ???

Who moves to ND ?
Luke Fickell ???
Urban ???
Matt Campbell ???

IMHO,

- Fickell is supposedly very devout and supposedly has the “Lou Holtz clause” in his contract (he can leave for UND with no consequences). But we have seen this movie before. Some guy has a BRIEF run in the ultra-weak AAC and someone snaps him up. Texas, Nebraska, Virginia Tech, etc. It never works, because the AAC is a cupcake league and being the slightly better cupcake for a couple years is neither difficult nor sustainable; and it simply does not translate to the major conferences.

- Urban Meyer is not a pro coach, and also supposedly is quite devout and has the “Lou Holtz clause”. He is only 57, and I never bought the heart condition stuff.

- Kelly is from Massachusetts. In history most all successful SEC coaches have been from the south, or at least the lower Midwest. Northern coaches have not had long term success in the SEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.