2021-22 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO,

- Fickell is supposedly very devout and supposedly has the “Lou Holtz clause” in his contract (he can leave for UND with no consequences). But we have seen this movie before. Some guy has a BRIEF run in the ultra-weak AAC and someone snaps him up. Texas, Nebraska, Virginia Tech, etc. It never works, because the AAC is a cupcake league and being the slightly better cupcake for a couple years is neither difficult nor sustainable; and it simply does not translate to the major conferences.

- Urban Meyer is not a pro coach, and also supposedly is quite devout and has the “Lou Holtz clause”. He is only 57, and I never bought the heart condition stuff.

- Kelly is from Massachusetts. In history most all successful SEC coaches have been from the south, or at least the lower Midwest. Northern coaches have not had long term success in the SEC.
West Virginia isn't exactly the SOUTH ... good ole Nick is from WV. Not Bama.
Where you are from has nothing to do with IF your a good coach or not.

As for Fickell, he would do fine at ND ... He's where he is BECAUSE you don't START at the Top ...

If Day decided to move on (I don't expect him to, but you never know) I would not have any issues with any of the guys I mentioned above taking over.

Nick Saban is from a coal camp in West Virginia. Born 14 miles from where Stonewall Jackson was born.

WV has been described as the “most northern southern state, the most southern northern state, the most eastern midwestern state, and the most western eastern state”.

But trust me, I have been to Mononga and I assure you the lifestyle there is way more like Kentucky or Tennessee than Massachusetts.

NFL rules are not much better.

Personally, I would have teams (IF they are not going to KO and start another quarter, which they are trying to avoid)
Start at say the 40 or 50 yard line instead of the 20 or 25, don't remember which it is now. At least this way you have to still play the game.
Or maybe just an extra period of play? No first score wins.
Btw, I would NOT move the xtra point back like the Pros did, it was stupid for the pros to do and would be worse if college did it.
The extra point should be like it is in rugby, and kicked laterally from the location where the ball is "touched down", or in this case, crosses the plane. Get rid of the two-pt conversion with this change and extra points start mattering a bit more than the fait accompli they are these days. Kicks would be uncontested.

I can just imagine the fights over their team losing cause they scored a touchdown near the side line... and it just isn't fair.

Reactions: Foxbat
NFL rules are not much better.

Personally, I would have teams (IF they are not going to KO and start another quarter, which they are trying to avoid)
Start at say the 40 or 50 yard line instead of the 20 or 25, don't remember which it is now. At least this way you have to still play the game.
Both teams get a possession ....
So I guess its a combination of the Pros and the college.

Enough of the stupid 2 point conversion, where thats the only play you get.

Btw, I would NOT move the xtra point back like the Pros did, it was stupid for the pros to do and would be worse if college did it.
College needs to run the clock during a first down. Why they stop it makes no sense.

They don't do it in the NFL.

I'd also like to see college have a two feet in bounds rule for touchdowns.
NFL used to. That changed when they went to the 40 second play clock.

Neither college or High School chose to adopt that rule and remained with the 25 second play clock. NCAA later adopted a hybrid 40/25 second clock.

As for the 2 feet in bounds rule, that was a rule that was adopted by the NFL after football had been around. An instance of distinguishing themselves from college and making catching harder. Same as how they implemented "down by contact" to make the defense work harder. Different level of play so tougher rules of play.

Either way

Neither college or High School chose to adopt that rule and remained with the 25 second play clock. NCAA later adopted a hybrid 40/25 second clock.

As for the 2 feet in bounds rule, that was a rule that was adopted by the NFL after football had been around. An instance of distinguishing themselves from college and making catching harder. Same as how they implemented "down by contact" to make the defense work harder. Different level of play so tougher rules of play.

Either way
It will be nice when they change the rules so the Offense doesn't have the ease of which it does now.
The 70's were So much better.

Ever since then they have put skirts on the offense, first the QB's that can't be touched without a penalty, to the now 70% of the WR's that are now Divas and think they should get the call on EVERY play ... ( that 70% is probably a bit high, but not by much)

Last edited:
Reactions: Derwin0

Either way
High school has also adopted the 25/40 second play clock.

Playoff is set:

#1 Alabama vs. #4 Cincinnati
#2 Michigan vs. #3 Georgia

Playoff committee bent over backwards to prevent an Alabama/Georgia rematch in the first round, by only dropping Georgia to #3 instead of #4.

Personally I would have moved Michigan up to #1 base on what they did to both Iowa and Ohio St. and dropped Georgia to #4, thus giving the same matchups.

Either way, after seeing what Georgia did against a good team, I fully expect to see them embarrassed against Michigan and then Michigan (the only Big Team team that seems to own the SEC) to go on and win it all the following week.

Why should Georgia drop below second because they lost to the #1 team in the country?

Yahoo Sports indicates Georgia has easiest road to championship.

artilce said:

Cotton Bowl (3:30 p.m., ESPN)​

No. 1 Georgia vs. No. 4 Cincinnati (CFP semifinal)

Arizona Bowl (4:30 p.m., Barstool Sports)​

Boise State vs. Central Michigan

Orange Bowl (7:30 p.m., ESPN)​

No. 2 Michigan vs. No. 3 Georgia (CFP semifinal)
If Georgia wins both games, they'll automatically win the Title. This would be the first time that could happen since the playoff was created. This will be tough though as Georgia needs to play two games, with virtually no time in between to rest (and traveling from Texas to Florida as well). :D

The whole system is rigged. They need to make each winner of the power conference championship an auto bid. Then add 3 at larges.

Status
Not open for further replies.