211/411 black screen?

SatinKzo said:
So it seems there are two instance of the black screen.

One occurring when the system has been off for a while and never sends picture when turned on.

Another seems to occur while viewing programming if I read these posts correctly.

In your 'while viewing programming' scenario, it seems more prone to occur on my 411 system if I was switching between OTA channels and satellite channels, but that is just my experience.

bhenge said:
In your 'while viewing programming' scenario, it seems more prone to occur on my 411 system if I was switching between OTA channels and satellite channels, but that is just my experience.

It would be interesting to know if it only happens when you watch OTA. If so, then could the 411 be not powering the LNB while doing OTA, similar to it not sending power during the restart for guide data.

At this point I dont know for sure what the issue is, but this definitely started after L262 (at least for me).

Kirby Baker said:
It would be interesting to know if it only happens when you watch OTA. If so, then could the 411 be not powering the LNB while doing OTA, similar to it not sending power during the restart for guide data.

At this point I dont know for sure what the issue is, but this definitely started after L262 (at least for me).

I will be playing closer attention to try and see if it is OTA related. Remember I also have an 811 and I don't have the problem at all with it.... I don't know if the 811 removes LNB power when watching OTA, if it does not, it should not really matter from an LNB standpoint what the 411 does since it would be powered all the time.... it would from a switch standpoint. Since my first software load was L262 with my new 411, I can't compare to earlier loads.

Well that didnt help... had my 6000 hooked up last night and today, and the 411 checked for Guide info this a.m. Got home just now, and no picture, no audio. missing transponders. Had to hard reset to get it back.

The problem I'm having is a littel different, I got a 411 installed on saturday, I went and turned of the tv first, and then the receiver because i had to change a wall plug on a different wall, so I turned the breaker off, and did my work. Once i was done, I turned the breaker back on, and went to watch my 411 ;) but nothing happen, no green light. I'm assuming I did a hard reset correct by holding the power button for 10s until it goes green and letting go. Well to my luck, nothing has happened at all. I'm currently waiting for 30min with the thing unplugged and im gonna go back at it.

I have experienced this problem 3-4 times since I received my 211 2 weeks ago. I noticed that it happenes when I switch from an OTA channel to a Dish HD channel and just last night it happened again while I was channel surfing through my HD favorites list. Performing a check switch didn't correct the problem so I fixed it by doing a front pannel reset. All of my signal strengths are over 100 with a clear line of sight (open field). I am using a DPP44 switch and a 510 receiver also. My 211 receiver is connected to my TV via the HDMI port so I'm wondering if this is the problem. I don't believe the problem is related to the guide data because it has happened after I downloaded a new guide.

I'm using compnent as well. I haven't had the problem since Sunday (during the game of course). I watched all OTA last evening (about 2-3 hours) and no problem. For me it almost seemed that when I started to lose the OTA signal the screen would freeze and then no picture. Audio was unaffected. Reboot fixed it all but once and then a second reboot did fix it. Just my 2 cents on the subject....

Just got my second dish at 61.5 installed with the DP44 switch this morning. Installer was really good did a lot of extra work outside. After getting the second dish installed along with the switch I asked him about the black screen issue on the VIP 211 he said the issue is common with people who do not have the DP44 switch as only the DP44 switch is powered, and the receiver really needs a powered switch.

After the installer leaves I haven't noticed any black screens, but I haven't had the time to use the receiver for a long period of time since the super bowl.

Is there anyone else out there like me that has not experienced the black screen yet? Desiguy's post about what his installer told him (whether or not it is accurate) fits my situation. I have a DPP44 and have not had 1 black screen problem. I thought I read a post in this thread that had a DPP44 user with the black screen, but I can't seem to find it now.

Edit:

Of course now I find the post by Dishpointer after I submit. So far he is the only one with a DPP44 that has seen the black screen?

K4LK said:
I've had my 211 for 10 days and saw this problem last night. Everything except program video was okay. Had to reboot the box to restore.
Can you post your setup so we have more to go on?

I turned off my auto-guide download feature, and today the 411 was just fine. Looks like I need to get a DP44 switch... I'll talk to Dish tech support later today and see what they think. Maybe I can get them to swap me a DP44 for my DP34+legacy adapter.

I originally posted #35 in this thread. I've had the problem too, and have the powered DP44 switch. I haven't had it reboot on me since my original post though......fingers crossed!

atomic22 said:
I originally posted #35 in this thread. I've had the problem too, and have the powered DP44 switch. I haven't had it reboot on me since my original post though......fingers crossed!

Well, looking at your post, the only difference between your setup and mine is you are using the OTA function of the receiver. Which also seems to be common of those havine problems.

I sure hope dish is reading this thread and taking notes. I wish I still had my DP34 to do some testing. I have a 522 and the 211 hooked to my DPP44. The 211 is on port 2, the 522 is hooked to the power inserter.

I do have DP44 switch, two 211s and I have experienced the same issue several times. What I am doing now is to shut off the receivers at night and when I turn them back on I always turn on the receivers firts, and no problem since. Hope this helps...

I have a 211 and saw the black screen just once, the initial setup. I just got audio and no video. I haven't seen it again, knock on wood. I also have OTA but don't use it as much. I do turn the receiver off every night.

I have a DP Quad and a DP Dual feeding a DP34 to feed the 211. That's the only receiver I have on that switch.

Guys, I think I found something... I was looking at the EKB at the other site, and saw something about a DPP Twin LNB not being compatible with a DP34 switch. Is that true? If so, I have issues right there, as I have a DPP Twin and a DP34 switch. Originally I was going to use my Dish1000 but couldnt get 129, so I went with a DP34 switch and 61.5 input(because I couldnt get a DP44 switch at the time, no stock). Looks like its not a receiver issue for me if this is true, but a switch problem! Thoughts?

Setup: Dish Pro Plus Twin feeds into DP34, Dish Pro Dual into DP34 for 61.5.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)