211/411 black screen?

bhenge

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Central North Carolina
L242 software. I have had my 411 4 days now and have seen the blackout twice. The first time was simply turning on the 411. The unit was functional (menus and program guide displayed and worked) but no picture, no audio, just a black screen. The second time occured when I went from looking at an OTA channel to watching ESPNHD. The screen went black with no audio, but this time after about 2-3 minutes the 411 re-booted on its own and everything worked again. I tried to reproduce this last scenario but have not been able to. Re-booting (soft or hard) seems to clear the problem but is only a temporary fix.

Do you always turn your tv on before receiver? I have a Toshiba hdtv and there are instructions to do this so that the tv "talks" to the receiver properly.

I had a black screen this morning. All overlays (menus, info, guide) showed up fine, but picture of actual channel was missing. Audio was coming through fine too. Had to hard reset the 411 in order to get it working. Its a bit disturbing to say the least.

Dirtydan said:
Do you always turn your tv on before receiver? I have a Toshiba hdtv and there are instructions to do this so that the tv "talks" to the receiver properly.

My system uses a Runco front projector so there is no "TV" per se. The audio/video processor that routes all the signals is never turned off. I have had one more black screen since my first post and this time the audio was present, also this time the 411 did not automatically re-boot... I had to soft boot to get things back working properly.

Now this moring my odd transponders on 110/119 are gone. Using a DP34 switch, with 61.5 input and DPPtwin and DPPdual lnb's. hard reset didnt help. Ugh!

Think I have rescued it again, had to remove all LNB feeds from the switch, and power cycle the 411. Now i can see all transponders again.

Last edited:
bhenge said:
L242 software. I have had my 411 4 days now and have seen the blackout twice. The first time was simply turning on the 411. The unit was functional (menus and program guide displayed and worked) but no picture, no audio, just a black screen. The second time occured when I went from looking at an OTA channel to watching ESPNHD. The screen went black with no audio, but this time after about 2-3 minutes the 411 re-booted on its own and everything worked again. I tried to reproduce this last scenario but have not been able to. Re-booting (soft or hard) seems to clear the problem but is only a temporary fix.

you get black screen when your gide is old you have to force gide down load.reseting works, or do a check switch. DVR receivers don't have this problem because they do that upgrade at 3am and for 8 days. I'm not sure how much ahead does 211/411 down load. check your receiver for what time the upgrade is set for

volkodav said:
you get black screen when your gide is old you have to force gide down load.reseting works, or do a check switch. DVR receivers don't have this problem because they do that upgrade at 3am and for 8 days. I'm not sure how much ahead does 211/411 down load. check your receiver for what time the upgrade is set for

That may be the case, but prior to the latests software, my 411 ran fine for weeks. Since the upgrade, I have had issues, and the guide updates every day for me at 4am. As you can see by my previous post, it seems to be much than just missing guide data....

change the upgrade time on the receiver to 10 minutes from now. see if the guide downloads. it may be the new software causing issues of not downloading.

Kirby Baker said:
That may be the case, but prior to the latests software, my 411 ran fine for weeks. Since the upgrade, I have had issues, and the guide updates every day for me at 4am. As you can see by my previous post, it seems to be much than just missing guide data....
I agree. I have not had this problem on my 211 yet, but I don't think the guide has anything to do with it as most leave it at default update time. No one reported this problem before 262, now it is occuring to many people it seems. no video, but audio and guide overlays work fine, no one has reported missing guide data, but I don't know how many people check the next day when this problem happens.

The only way to test this is the next time someone has a blank screen, check your guide and how far it goes out. See if you are missing info for the next day etc
Or after a reset to restore video, stop the guide download.

Last edited:
Fixed it again, this time, on point dish screen, with no signal on odd transponders, i pulled the coax from the lnb input, reconnected, and it works perfectly.., no reboot needed.

so now my question is, could this be related to only 1 receiver being connected to the DPP34 switch? I am on port 1, and maybe when it reboots for the guide, it screws up the switch? I will hook my 6000 back up on port 4 with the legacy adapter, and see what happens with another forced guide download. maybe the loss of power to the switch is the issue.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting theory there Kirby. Is there anyone else having this issue that does not have a DP34? I use a DPP44 (sep power inserter) and have not had this problem.

Ok, all set up, 6000 connected to legacy adapter, and to port4 of the DPP34 switch. 411 scheduled to download guide in 4 minutes...

Ok, 411 just went into update mode. Powered off. 6000 is tuned to ShoHD, which was one of the transponders I would lose on the 411. Its maintained the signal fine. 411 finished its guide download and I just pressed select on the message on screen after a guide update. ShoHD works on 411. Odd and even transponders are all coming in fine on both 110/119.

I think I found my cause of problems! So now how does Dish fix this for those that need a DPP34 switch for 1 receiver?

Last edited:
j2kirby7 said:
I'm having the problem...I have the 1000 with the built in switch.

I'd say its the same reason. 411 drops power momentarily to the LNB, and confuses the switch (provided its a switch without power inserter) and causes the problem. 1000 with built in switch would act just like a DPP34 I assume, you have the 129 feed going into the Twin input?

VIP622 DVR Software to Spool on Friday Feb, 10th 2006

Having promblems receiving locals on the 411.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)