211K FREEZING

panache70

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Western Hemisphere
Anyone ever experience a 211k freezing (picture and sound) only when the EHD is connected? I have a 2GB WD EHD connected and I can't seem to watch TV for more than an hour before it freezes. I can disconnect it, but I really would prefer to have pause, rewind and record features.

I ran a reset and check switch, but still freezes. Could my 211k be defective or maybe the WD EHD is not compatible? I am running the EHD through USB, it does not have it's own power supply.

No issues when disconnected. Tried an old 1GB WD EHD with its own power supply, and guess what? Still freezes... Not sure what to do.

Appreciate any ideas you may have. Would prefer not to invest in new dish equipment if I can avoid it.

Sent from my SM-T720 using the SatelliteGuys app!

That fact it happens to both Hard Drives makes me think it’s something with the ViP 211k and not the hard drives. At first, I was going to say the 211k doesn’t support USB-powered EHDs, but you hooked up a powered EHD and the behavior was the same.

Some EHDs have aggressive power saving settings that can be disabled, or have a drive scan diagnostic that can fire up at a regular interval. But those usually cause glitches more than freezing the picture. The Ubuntu Linux distribution can be used to change some of those bits.

I had a ViP 211 that had problems like you’re reporting, but it happened whether or not the EHD was plugged in. That was a bad capacitor on the 211 circuit board which I was able to fix. I’m not sure the 211k has the same components, so I doubt it’s the same thing.

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks. I purchased the non-powered EHD after asking if it would be compatible here in the forum. It is impossible to find powered EHDs that are only 1or 2 GB anymore. The freezing problem is only recent, so I am thinking it is the 211k also. It tends to get extremely hot.

Does anyone know if Dish will let me activate a new 211k purchased from Ebay? I really dont want any installers coming in the house. Will I lose the recordings when I match the EHD to the new receiver?

I still think it's strange that the 211k works flawlessly without the EHD. Something wonky going on...

Sent from my SM-T720 using the SatelliteGuys app!

I think you can still change out like for like, such as another 211k off Ebay. Just double-check with Dish that the receiver on Ebay is not leased and has no balance before you buy it. That said, I'd be very tempted to get any fan you might have and blow on both receiver and disk to make sure it's not an overheating problem.

Thanks. I purchased the non-powered EHD after asking if it would be compatible here in the forum. ...
Whoops! I just went back and found that conversation, so I am sorry if I gave you bad advice. My experience is mostly with the 1TB non-powered model. I am not sure if it makes a difference that you are using the 2TB model.

Does anyone know if Dish will let me activate a new 211k purchased from Ebay? I really dont want any installers coming in the house. Will I lose the recordings when I match the EHD to the new receiver?
I do have a purchased ViP211k that I rarely use. Contact me in a private conversation, and maybe we can make a deal. :)