222/222K News

I was told that they are no longer allowing 222 receivers because they are in short supply and need them for commercial accounts and MDU type accounts. I think they use them for their new Smartbox when doing hotels and jobs like that. Since 222 receivers are no longer being manufactured they are in short supply and no longer allow them for existing customers.

The more generic answer that Dish gives is that since more and more customers have HDTVs they feel the better option is to have two 211 receivers instead of a 222 receiver. It's not a bad reason but I don't think it's the real reason.

222 was buggy anyways. If they really wanted to push it out of customers homes, increase the cost from $14/month, to $17, and say "why not just get a DVr". It is an increase to the bill, but an easier sell to the value of the a DVr. Just an idea. Plus that way, they can push bb@home easier, if everyone has a DVr. Just am idea, there's more to it, I'm just not willing to type it all out on a cell keyboard

Remember, this is to just encourage 222 users to get off their 222. They would be the only ones affected. It would piss some people off, but it would make it easier to sell them a DVr.

The more generic answer that Dish gives is that since more and more customers have HDTVs they feel the better option is to have two 211 receivers instead of a 222 receiver. It's not a bad reason but I don't think it's the real reason.

I agree...

If someone has just one receiver to handle two TVs, there would not be any equipment fees with a 222. However, someone with two 211s to handle two TVs would have an equipment fee of $7/month. (Something important to note is that both feeds would be HD and both could be converted to a DVR without VideoOnDemand for a one-time fee of about $40 and an external hard drive for one or both depending on which if not both that the subscriber wants to turn into a DVR.)

If someone has three TVs, a subscriber could get a 222 and a 211. That would be a $7/month equipment fee. Three 211s would be a $14/month equipment fee.

Someone with four TVs could have one 222 and two 211s for $14/month. Two 222s would also be $14/month while four 211s would be $21/month.

I agree...

If someone has just one receiver to handle two TVs, there would not be any equipment fees with a 222. However, someone with two 211s to handle two TVs would have an equipment fee of $7/month. (Something important to note is that both feeds would be HD and both could be converted to a DVR without VideoOnDemand for a one-time fee of about $40 and an external hard drive for one or both depending on which if not both that the subscriber wants to turn into a DVR.)

If someone has three TVs, a subscriber could get a 222 and a 211. That would be a $7/month equipment fee. Three 211s would be a $14/month equipment fee.

Someone with four TVs could have one 222 and two 211s for $14/month. Two 222s would also be $14/month while four 211s would be $21/month.

This makes for an easy up sell to a 722k though. Why pay for a second 211 when you can have a 722 for the same monthly fee.

This makes for an easy up sell to a 722k though. Why pay for a second 211 when you can have a 722 for the same monthly fee.

A monthly DVR fee is not guaranteed to stay the same price; I believe DirecTV has increased its DVR fee over the years. Bringing in the 722 is a good point, but there is a DVR fee (currently $6/month I believe) associated with it and extra ones are currently $17/month I believe.

Reactions: ChadT41
Yep, they had brought it back. I had dealt with some DIUs where it was not available, and had to replace a SD 322 with a pair of 211s, and there was the extra $7/mo cost, but the credit covered it. I was thinking it may have even been a $7x36, but that has been a while.

The reason behind getting rid of the 222 was that when it was hot and popular, most folks didn't have a house full of HD televisions, and this could power up an HD television at TV1, and the customer could have an "uncomplicated" SD television at TV2 without even having a receiver there, just a coax and a remote. Obviously, over time, SD televisions are decreasing in percentage. Probably can't even buy a new SD television any more...

I have absolutely no idea what happens next, but for me, common sense says that the 622/722/722k like could suffer the same fate at some point, with them pushing multiple 612 receivers as a replacement, but practically, they'll push the Hopper/Joey system.

I could see a future where your options will be Hopper/Super Joey/Wired Joey/Wireles Joey, and either a 612 or a 211z. Again, just a personal thought, absolutely nothing to even guess that it could happen.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.
Maybe you should forget about the VIP612 it is older than the 722K and maybe older than a 722 it was introduced about the same time as a 722 replaced the 622.

A monthly DVR fee is not guaranteed to stay the same price; I believe DirecTV has increased its DVR fee over the years. Bringing in the 722 is a good point, but there is a DVR fee (currently $6/month I believe) associated with it and extra ones are currently $17/month I believe.

A monthly receiver fee is just as guaranteed as a DVr fee. Truth is, all fees are subject to change, including within a term commitment.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. The DVR fee has been $7 for years. You saying that the fee is not guaranteed is true but that's the same for receiver fees. Dish could change the monthly fee for a 211 at any time they want to.

This was my point, if you had the choice between two 211 receivers or one 722 receiver which would you choose? Most people would go with the 722 because they get the DVR.

3 years the DVr fee has remained the same. Anyone remember when it was $6 and so was the proplan. Either way, this is all subjective, these fees are likely not changing, but the point was, it would be a great way to get the equipment you want on the market. If deadest on have the less features, pay more, or change over and have the same features plus more. But ALL fees(none are safe) can and eventually do change.

3 years the DVr fee has remained the same. Anyone remember when it was $6 and so was the proplan. Either way, this is all subjective, these fees are likely not changing, but the point was, it would be a great way to get the equipment you want on the market. If deadest on have the less features, pay more, or change over and have the same features plus more. But ALL fees(none are safe) can and eventually do change.
I don't know what people are talking about, but the DVR fee went from $6 to $7 in Feb 2013...that's less than 2 years ago. My bills prove it.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. The DVR fee has been $7 for years. You saying that the fee is not guaranteed is true but that's the same for receiver fees. Dish could change the monthly fee for a 211 at any time they want to.

This was my point, if you had the choice between two 211 receivers or one 722 receiver which would you choose? Most people would go with the 722 because they get the DVR.

Honestly, I would choose the two 211s. This would allow HD programming for both TVs. Then, I would do the $39.99 integration fee to turn the 211s into DVRs (with external drives of course). You can also connect an OTA for OTA subchannels to appear in the guide, for when local channel disputes occur, or for when the signal goes out for weather. I am sure the 722 probably has the OTA feature as well, though.

I don't know what people are talking about, but the DVR fee went from $6 to $7 in Feb 2013...that's less than 2 years ago. My bills prove it.

Thanks because I still thought the DVR fee was $6; so, it must have been a recent change although we have been with Dish since 2009 with two 222s. This was also when you had to have the phone line connected to avoid that pesky $5/month additional fee on top of the $7/month additional fee if my memory is correct. $7/month for 4 TVs was such a deal back then for equipment fees which is why I chose that set up.

Honestly, I would choose the two 211s. This would allow HD programming for both TVs. Then, I would do the $39.99 integration fee to turn the 211s into DVRs (with external drives of course). You can also connect an OTA for OTA subchannels to appear in the guide, for when local channel disputes occur, or for when the signal goes out for weather. I am sure the 722 probably has the OTA feature as well, though.

The 722k with OTA module gives you OTA channels on TV1 and TV2. If only having HD on both TVs was the concern then having two 211 receivers would be perfect. Now, if you wanted HD on both TVs and also wanted DVR then I'd just go with the Hopper and Joey.

I can't remember, is the $40 DVR integration fee per 211 or just once per account? I know going with two 211 receivers and EHDs on them is cheaper per month but I'd rather spend the money and get all the features the Hopper has. With the 211 route you'd have to spend the $40 integration fee and purchase two EHDs which would cost around $60 each minimum. I know that's not a lot compared to the monthly fees but you only have one tuner to record from.

I will admit that it would be a solid setup for the most frugal person though. :D

I've never had a phone line. The $5 connection fee ended Feb 2009, 4 years before the DVR fee was upped to $7.